T Nation

Triceps Getting Stronger, Not Biceps

iv only been lifting for about 3-4 months now iv always had some strengh in my arms but every since i started body building my arms just dont seem to be getting any stronger at all my trieps are getting stronger but my biceps just dont seem to be.
is there any reason for this or am i just getting impatiant

Be more specific. What exercises are you doing for biceps? how often? are you doing total body training?

I only do bicep curls with bar and dumbells and throw in a few sets of precher curls now and again, i train my biceps once a week but do a full work out on just them not just a few sets then on to something else just bicep. And also hammer curls aswell

My question to you is: How intensely are you training your biceps?

Two things I recommend:
-up the weight. You have to give your biceps a reason to grow and get stronger.

-If your other body parts are getting stronger but your biceps arent then something is wrong with your form/mind-muscle connection. Drop the weight and focus on proper form and squeezing your bicep at the top of every rep. Really focus on using just your bicep just as if you were making a muscle

How much are you eating and what exercises do you do other than your arm stuff? A full workout devoted to arms once a week is kind of ridiculous.

Charles Poliquin say :

Big Arms, Big Physique

Q: Is it true you have to gain a bunch of muscular body weight overall in order to get big arms?

A: Typically, you have to gain 15 pounds of overall body weight to add an inch to your upper arm measurements. Now, if you want to go from 21 to 22-inch arms, which is enormous, it’ll be more like a 25 pound gain.

Weider writers claimed that Arnold used to have a 22 inch arm COLD. Arthur Jones said they were full of shit. Arthur Jones was right: The Weider camp was full of shit. For Arnold to have a legitimate 22 inch arm, he would’ve had to weigh 308.

If you’re going from a 14 inch arm to 16, then 30 pounds will do it. But going from 18 to 20 inches will require more like a 50 pound gain.

Editor’s Note: For more on this topic, see Charles’s article, The Truth About Bodybuilding Arm Measurements.

Now, let’s say that starting tomorrow all you did was arms. There’s something â?? and I think it has to do with acupuncture meridians â?? that would cause your arms to stop growing until you restore balance. So in other words, if you don’t put four to five inches on your thighs, then your arms will stop growing.

Bodybuilder Troy Alves has huge arms. We were talking about this one day and he said he couldn’t get his arms to grow anymore until he started training his legs.

And remember, you have far more anabolic output from training legs than training arms. So, all these people who don’t like split routines are retarded. If I train arms on Monday then Tuesday I train legs, my leg workout will actually make my arms grow. The next session I do my chest and back, which will help my legs and my arms grow. The point is that the anabolic response you get is systemic.

If your arms haven’t grown since Hilary Clinton smiled, then don’t train them for four months. Concentrate instead on chest and back work. You may lose half an inch on your arms, but once you go back to arm training your arms will grow right away and surpassyour previous arm size.

In my years of putting size on, I found that the best way to grow arms was to NOT train arms directly for four months out of the year. I still did chins and dips of course, but no direct arm exercises.

[quote]GrayCrane wrote:
How much are you eating and what exercises do you do other than your arm stuff? A full workout devoted to arms once a week is kind of ridiculous.[/quote]

agreed, unless your 5’10", 220 pounds and 10% bf, a whole day for biceps seems a little much,

you have only been lifting 3-4 months?

prepare yourself for forum assault.

If you haven’t seen any increases in that time in weight or in reps, and you are working out consistently and eating well, perhaps you are actually overworking them. On a plus, you say your triceps are responding and they make up 60-70% of arm mass- if its bigger arms your looking for.A little more info on your workout would be helpful.

-g

[quote]moore595 wrote:
iv only been lifting for about 3-4 months now iv always had some strengh in my arms but every since i started body building my arms just dont seem to be getting any stronger at all my trieps are getting stronger but my biceps just dont seem to be.

forget about training biceps its the last thing you should worry about, train your back hard enough and there gonna grow and yoour strength is gonna go up, chins, rows and deads, and if you really have to train bis basic close grip chins and barbell curls.

[quote]anfony12345 wrote:
moore595 wrote:

[/quote]
forget about training biceps its the last thing you should worry about, train your back hard enough and there gonna grow and yoour strength is gonna go up, chins, rows and deads, and if you really have to train bis basic close grip chins and barbell curls.

Yer try NOT doing bicep curls and instead do pull ups.

Ok thanks for the help guys,

Im not just after bigger arms im after getting bigger all round im in it for the strengh not just the size
my work out over the week breaks down like this

MONDAY- chest
TUESDAY- back or legs
WEDNESDAY- sholders
THURSDAY- biceps and triceps

i work each of these for a about an hour and a half each day and i train hard giving it my all in eack work out i do.
If anyone thinks otherwise then thats up to them but i know i go all out when im training
thank you all for ya help

do back on tuesday and legs on friday. Squat’s one of best exercises for biceps trust me. Cut your workout to an hour and go as heavy as you can with good form.

I do back on tuesday but thew following tuesday ill do legs if that makes sence so alternate weeks and in all my workouts ill go as heavy as i can with strict form.
How is squats good for biceps

[quote]SWAT06 wrote:
Charles Poliquin say :

Weider writers claimed that Arnold used to have a 22 inch arm COLD. Arthur Jones said they were full of shit. Arthur Jones was right: The Weider camp was full of shit. For Arnold to have a legitimate 22 inch arm, he would’ve had to weigh 308.

If you’re going from a 14 inch arm to 16, then 30 pounds will do it. But going from 18 to 20 inches will require more like a 50 pound gain.

In my years of putting size on, I found that the best way to grow arms was to NOT train arms directly for four months out of the year. I still did chins and dips of course, but no direct arm exercises.
[/quote]

I’m sure my credentials are nowhere near CP but I will say that all I have ever seen and practiced for myself at the gym have shown me that not training arms is a good way for them not to grow. I used to listen to the gospel of not training arms. All the squats and deadlifts and pull ups didn’t help my arms. In about a year of direct training the arms or so they have gone from 13’ to 16’ and some change. Not great but I will keep improving, and guess how? By actually training them.

In addition, I don’t think there’s a blanket weight you need to reach to have a certain arm measurement: some people are genetically predisposed to big arms. Arnold looks like he had 20 + inch arms flexed and cold, especially bearing in mind he was a tall, big framed guy by BB standards.

[quote]moore595 wrote:
Ok thanks for the help guys,

Im not just after bigger arms im after getting bigger all round im in it for the strengh not just the size
my work out over the week breaks down like this

MONDAY- chest
TUESDAY- back or legs
WEDNESDAY- sholders
THURSDAY- biceps and triceps

i work each of these for a about an hour and a half each day and i train hard giving it my all in eack work out i do.
If anyone thinks otherwise then thats up to them but i know i go all out when im training
thank you all for ya help [/quote]

You can pair chest with biceps and back with triceps or some such if you like. If only someone told Magnus Samuelsson not to train arms directly for 4 months a year, he’s clearly inexperienced…: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4GzrW2-ovM

Split back and legs to different days and row row row

Your split is terrible, a better alternative would be something like:

Monday Chest & Triceps
Tuesday Legs
Thursday Shoulders & Abs
Saturday Back & Biceps

You haven’t told us what you are actually doing in your sessions, what exercises, sets and reps are you doing (and with how much weight)? Are you ramping up in weight or doing multiple straight sets? Whats your height & weight, and roughly how many calories are you eating a day?

Right
CHEST
flat bench 5x3 60 kgs 5 sets of 3 reps then next time 3 sets of 5 reps
incline bench 6 sets 25kg 12-15 reps
incline flys 2-3 sets 12.5 kg 12-15 reps
pull overs 2-3 sets 32.5 kg 15-20 reps

BACK
dumbell rows 6 sets 23kg 12-15 reps
pull downs 6 sets 45 kg, 3 of that are wide and 3 are narrow at 55kg 8-10 reps
cables 6 sets at 50 kg 8-10 reps
deads 3 sets 60kg 8-10 reps

LEGS
squats 5 sets 70 kg 8-10 reps
leg extentions 6 sets 30kg 15-20 reps
calfe rases 5 sets 135kg 15-20 reps

SHOULDERS
militry press 6 sets 42.5kg 12-15 reps
lat rases 6 sets 12.5 kg 12-15 reps
rears 6 sets 10kg 20+ reps

BICEPS AND TRICEPS
biceps curls 6 sets 25kg 12-15 reps
hammer curls 6 sets 12.5kg 12-15 reps
tricep pushdowns 6 sets 45 kg 12-15 reps
tricep extentions 6 sets 15 kg 12-15 reps

That is what exercises i do for each body part im 5’9 weight about 16 stone so yeah im a big bloke trying to strip fat and gain muscle i aint gonna lie about it, tryin to eat as little calories as possible and trying to cut out as much fat as possible and trying to pack as much protein in as i can.

[quote]moore595 wrote:
[/quote]

Yes, you are impatient, but you already knew that didn’t you. "Bodybuilding for 3-4 months??? C’mon man, what do you really want to achieve? How bad do you want to achieve it?

You can almost do anything that you want to do in life, as long as you give up some of the other things that you’d like to do, or maybe all of them.

Put your head down and strive to progress always. There will be set backs. There will be things in your life that become more important and need attention, but in the end …

What do you want??? And how bad do you want it???