Triceps for the Lone Lifter

It seems board presses are all the rage for triceps strength. But I’m training alone in my garage. I.e. I can’t ask someone else to help with board presses. Attaching a board on the chest with bands seems a little dangerous if I miss the lift too. So I’m doing dips instead. Is that enough? Is there something else I should be doing as well?

[quote]J.Rex wrote:
It seems board presses are all the rage for triceps strength. But I’m training alone in my garage. I.e. I can’t ask someone else to help with board presses. Attaching a board on the chest with bands seems a little dangerous if I miss the lift too. So I’m doing dips instead. Is that enough? Is there something else I should be doing as well?[/quote]

buy a sturdy foam pad and stick it under your shirt. dave tate calls this a manpon. similar to board presses in my opinion still shouldnt neglect dips though.

Good idea!

Floor press with a medium to close grip? I use just outside shoulder width, which is about 3 inches from the smooth. If you miss just lower the bar back down and push it forwards. Unless you’re really fat you won’t get squashed. I prefer to avoid missing though!

Another good idea!

Well I’m guessin that you set the safety pins in your rack for regular benching, just do the same with the board presses, set the pins higher, and get a bigger arch. If you miss just let your arch go flat and you ht the pins.

I’ve strapped a yoga block to my chest with a rubber cord, it works pretty well.

When at training home I would do:

• reverse grip bench (this has helped my bench a lot)
  • roll a towel up and shove it under my jumper.

and PMPM whats up with your location? haha

I use a bungee cord (kind used to hold down tarps and such) and wrap it around my torso and also set the pins on my power rack to be just below the height of the boards. If I miss, all I have to do is roll the bar towards or away from my head (depending on which side of the band the bar is on) and let it fall on the pins as they are inches above my face or abdomen.

If you’re training in a shirt, I’d make sure to put some sort of safety higher than face level if you value your good looks. Eating bar is not fun.

[quote]J.Rex wrote:
It seems board presses are all the rage for triceps strength. But I’m training alone in my garage. I.e. I can’t ask someone else to help with board presses. Attaching a board on the chest with bands seems a little dangerous if I miss the lift too. So I’m doing dips instead. Is that enough? Is there something else I should be doing as well?[/quote]

Check out the pics in my hub. That’s me doing a 455# board press by myself in my power rack. (I used composit decking boards because the gym I used to go to wouldn’t allow wood but the composit stuff was ok. They are 5/4 thick so what looks like a 3 board is actuall comparable to a real 2 board)… anyway what you’ll want to do is screw and eye bolt into the bottom board- the one that touches your chest. Then run a caribiner through the eye bolt and loop onto your powerbelt. If you plan on benching in a shirt, you’ll be wearing a belt anyways so it’s good to get used to benching with it on. It doesn’t have to be tight just enough to not move around on you. IF you stay tight and keep your form you’ll vbe able to do reps with ease this way. IF the board falls off, you lost your tightness which in and of itself can be used as a tool to learn to stay tight. I’ve been doing this for years. Hope this helps you out man…

If your elbows are healthy, nothing really beats heavy JM’s. EO Sports gear sells a board vest that is probably one of the best solo powerlifting tools you can get. It’s incredible.

High rep band pressdowns.

[quote]Power GnP wrote:
High rep band pressdowns.[/quote]

I echo this sentiment.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
Check out the pics in my hub. [/quote]

Seems like there is some privacy issues, I get this message when I try: “This Hub has been set to Private”

JM Presses seems nice. I’ll set the pins on face saving height and try it out.

I’m surprised by the band pressdowns. I don’t have any bands but I have a high (and low) cable pulley, would that do the same thing?

The EO Vest seems incredibly cool: garageinkpowerteam.com

[quote]J.Rex wrote:

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
Check out the pics in my hub. [/quote]

Seems like there is some privacy issues, I get this message when I try: “This Hub has been set to Private”

JM Presses seems nice. I’ll set the pins on face saving height and try it out.

I’m surprised by the band pressdowns. I don’t have any bands but I have a high (and low) cable pulley, would that do the same thing?

The EO Vest seems incredibly cool: garageinkpowerteam.com

[/quote]

try it now if your still interested. I think I fixed it.

Yes. Looks nice :slight_smile:

Do you have dumbells? If so give Tate presses a try

I’d do Tate presses for sure if I had good dumbbells. I only have those that you load up with olympic plates and they are pretty much only good for one arm rows. Luckily I now have lots of variations to choose from thanks to all the suggestions above.