T Nation

Triceps Exercises

I experience a lot of joint pain whenever I try to do any triceps exercises. Triceps kickbacks I get pain in the back of my shoulder, I get pain in my elbows from skullcrushers, and I get pain in the front of my shoulder when I do close-grip bench presses. Any other tricep exercises I can try?

Pushdowns. Dips.

You should definitely be doing dips, and once you get comfortable enough with them and good enough, start loading on the weight. Try to stay as straight up and down as possible. You’ll definitely notice yourself gaining strength.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
Pushdowns. Dips.[/quote]

Seconded, the other one that works for me is elbows out DB tricep extensions.

I get a pain in the bones in my chest when I try dips.

Maybe you want to get all these pains checked out?

[quote]michaelangelos wrote:
I get a pain in the bones in my chest when I try dips.[/quote]

there is no way that there is pain the bone

dont forget the old addage ‘you cant flex bone’

basically it is your pectoral muscles that are experiencing a tremendous amount of stress and contraction

my 2 cents

[quote]thatkid wrote:
michaelangelos wrote:
I get a pain in the bones in my chest when I try dips.

there is no way that there is pain the bone

dont forget the old addage ‘you cant flex bone’

basically it is your pectoral muscles that are experiencing a tremendous amount of stress and contraction

my 2 cents[/quote]

There’s a lot of pressure between my chest muscles (they’re aren’t large enough to touch yet). It could be the muscles contracting, though, whenever I flex my chest I can’t keep it flexed for more than 5 seconds because the contraction is quite painful.

[quote]michaelangelos wrote:
thatkid wrote:
michaelangelos wrote:
I get a pain in the bones in my chest when I try dips.

there is no way that there is pain the bone

dont forget the old addage ‘you cant flex bone’

basically it is your pectoral muscles that are experiencing a tremendous amount of stress and contraction

my 2 cents

There’s a lot of pressure between my chest muscles (they’re aren’t large enough to touch yet). It could be the muscles contracting, though, whenever I flex my chest I can’t keep it flexed for more than 5 seconds because the contraction is quite painful.[/quote]

Your chest is not strong enough to take the direct stress that dips cause. Keep doing them and fight through the pain…eventually it will stop hurting. I experienced the exact same thing when I first started lifting.

But to actually answer your question about alternative triceps exercises besides what’s been mentioned. The exercise done last in this video has added some good meat to my arms. It takes a few times to get the groove on it but the weights start flying up.

[quote]scottiscool wrote:
But to actually answer your question about alternative triceps exercises besides what’s been mentioned. The exercise done last in this video has added some good meat to my arms. It takes a few times to get the groove on it but the weights start flying up.

It looks uncomfortable. I’ll give it a shot though.

Thanks for the help.

What about floor presses?

I love dips, weighted and not, but I also get a weird pain along my collarbone afterwards. It’s really bizarre, in that while I’m on the bars, there is no pain, but as soon as I put my feet down and release the tension, I get shooting pains all along my clavicle. You think this is muscular in nature?