T Nation

Triceps Exercise Suggestion?

Lately i have brought up my delts but right now i feel i need help with triceps. Basically what i am looking for is a exercise where you can go heavy on and at the same time progress fast on.Doing dips is hard on my RC so that one is out. I am also a chest dominant presser so most presses like for example floor press will almost entirely hit my chest which is my strongest bodypart right now.

What i have access to at my gym is a smith machine,free weight bench press, dumbbells but no pins for pin press.

What would suit my goal and needs atm is a exercise with low injury risk(not hard on elbows) but at the same time doesn’t hit chest so much. I recently tried reverse grip bench press and felt it was great as i didn’t feel much in my chest doing it compared to other presses. I am not sure though how to grip the bar the best way for comfort?,i tried the dc one with thumb and 2 fingers wraped around the bar. Any other suggestions?

close grip bench…

neutral grip presses, skull curshers, cable work. Rolling db extensions, pjr’s

too bad regular parallel dips is the best for three heads . pullover and press maybe .

its to bad… CLOSE GRIP BENCH

o… and for the ct.

FST-7

close grip bench some shiz

CGBP FST7

What is this DIPS GARBAGE?

:DDD lol

(EDIT: OP, I know that feel man. I actually tore my proximal bicep tendon while doing Dips, and I was using bodyweight high rep 20+ reps that were easy. I hate that exercise with a passion and wish I never did it :frowning: !!! )

On a serious note, lying tricep extensions to behind the head will leave your triceps sore/wrecked for days in the ~10 rep range. Also , yesterday I did some 3-5 rep Close Grip Bench and it just absolutely decimated them; but I think you have to flare out a little bit if I am correct to make the triceps work better? Was experimenting and tucking them just made my shoulders do all the work, Lol. As soon as I flared with close grip, boom, massive tricep explosion and burn

Close grip bench on the decline. It gives you a few more inches of ROM. Plus I can use substantially more weight than I can on a flat bench which ain’t a bad thing.

PJR pullovers …second only to heavy CGBP

PJR Pullovers… V Press Downs and or single hand cable press downs use your body to cheat.

Always did great with seated or incline triceps extension (one dumbbell, both hands on it). Did great also with California press (the skull crusher eccentric part whip the triceps big time).

Eric

My personal favorite Tri movement is doing skull crushers with 2 DBs instead of the bar. I always felt it was more natural, and allowed me to ensure my arms were getting equal stimulus. A few heavy sets of these followed immediately by bench dips (throw your feet up on the dumbell rack) and you’ll be toast!

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
My personal favorite Tri movement is doing skull crushers with 2 DBs instead of the bar. I always felt it was more natural, and allowed me to ensure my arms were getting equal stimulus. A few heavy sets of these followed immediately by bench dips (throw your feet up on the dumbell rack) and you’ll be toast!

S[/quote]

Do the skullcrushers look like this video? (random video from youtube) or do you do them differently? I wanted to give them a shot.

^Pretty much, except…

-Don’t lock your elbows at the top of the movement, always keep your extended arms slightly ‘behind’ your head (maintains tension on the triceps!)

-You don’t have to do them on a decline if you find it easier using a flat, or even slightly inclined bench instead.

S

^do i need to throw the weights down in a fit of rage after my top setS?

^Pretty much, except…

-Don’t lock your elbows at the top of the movement, always keep your extended arms slightly ‘behind’ your head (maintains tension on the triceps!)

-You don’t have to do them on a decline if you find it easier using a flat, or even slightly inclined bench instead.

S[/quote]

Thanks!

[quote]bignate wrote:
^do i need to throw the weights down in a fit of rage after my top setS?[/quote]

Only if it’s imperative that everyone else in the gym acknowledge how hardcore you are.

S

[quote]bignate wrote:
^do i need to throw the weights down in a fit of rage after my top setS?[/quote]

Only if it’s imperative that everyone else in the gym acknowledge how hardcore you are.

S[/quote]

looks like i got me some bell tossing to do tomorrow

Thanks for the suggestions guys,i am mainly looking for a compound exercise as i think the reason my triceps is laggning is me not going heavy enough. regular close grip press mostly hits my pecs only. I was thinking maybe reverse grip will be different or some other exercise.

[quote]Alexsarmin wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys,i am mainly looking for a compound exercise as i think the reason my triceps is laggning is me not going heavy enough. regular close grip press mostly hits my pecs only. I was thinking maybe reverse grip will be different or some other exercise.[/quote]

how much ya bench?