T Nation

Tricep Pressdowns & Delts

With this movement, I try to keep my shoulders back and my back straight, but I always end up feeling it in my delts by the end of the set.

Does anyone know how to keep my delts out of this movement completely?

find a different movement

seriously

i have the same problem

so i found what works for me:
dips, bench dips with weight on lap, etc … my tris are difficult to attack

heavy overhead pressing works well also

Keep your elbows in - like they are glued to your side. Don’t raise the bar so high that it causes you to raise your arms.

Lower the weight, and concentrate on feeling it in your triceps.

It’s hard to “completely” take the shoulders out of a standard pressdown movement.

However, doing extension exercises on a decline, like decline close-grip bench, or decline skull crushers, takes the shoulders out of the movement to a huge degree.

Decline tricep movements have become a huge favorite of mine.

How exactly do your shoulders feel?

I used to get a lactic acid like burn in my shoulders… no real worrysome discomfort. Over time it went away, my thoughts are your shoulders are being challenged in a different way then they are used to so it just takes time.

I tried using the rope attachment for a change last week and despite having to reduce the weight used, I could feel it much more in my triceps than with a bar attachment.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Keep your elbows in - like they are glued to your side. Don’t raise the bar so high that it causes you to raise your arms.

Lower the weight, and concentrate on feeling it in your triceps. [/quote]

Yep. With the elbows out, you will push from the pecs and delts more…elbows all the way in…then it’s all tri’s.

This helps a lot.

Thanks a bunch.

Yup, elbows in. And think of it as a reverse bicep curl, or an extension. The only movement is at the elbow. Thinking of it as a press movement will subconsciously get your delts and chest wanting to help.