T Nation

Tricep Exercise for Target Area?

Anyone has tried an excercise wich targets the marked area on tricep?? I am already doing dips with elbows wide open.

I am not an anatomical expert, but the marked area is really just the triceps tendon that connects the muscle to the bone. Its like trying to train your calf around your ankle … just a long, thick band of connective tissue. Hopefully someone else can give you a better answer but in my experience (as a swimmer, triceps are heavily recruited), I have never seen anyone with large muscles in that area compared to the actual triceps muscle itself.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
I am not an anatomical expert, but the marked area is really just the triceps tendon that connects the muscle to the bone. Its like trying to train your calf around your ankle … just a long, thick band of connective tissue. Hopefully someone else can give you a better answer but in my experience (as a swimmer, triceps are heavily recruited), I have never seen anyone with large muscles in that area compared to the actual triceps muscle itself. [/quote]

Ok, so, no surprise that area does not grow.

Thanks.

Have any hints to work the inside tricep?

Try Tricep Pullovers.

The inner head best activates when the arm is stretched. IMO best thing lying extensions where instead of your arms and elbows pointing at the ceiling they are angled back 45º. Keep them at this angle the whole exercise and the inner head will never rest

[quote]2274 wrote:
Try Tricep Pullovers.[/quote]

supinated/pronated…cable/bar/db… stance, elbow position?, tempo?

[quote]saps wrote:
The inner head best activates when the arm is stretched. IMO best thing lying extensions where instead of your arms and elbows pointing at the ceiling they are angled back 45º. Keep them at this angle the whole exercise and the inner head will never rest[/quote]

Just tried, it feels working. Is any diference on opening the hands or keeping it at head side?

Dips would work.

You could try benching with your index finger on the smooth part of the bar.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2GQaG_hpcz0

Whenever I do the first exercise I always feel it the most in the part of the triceps closest to the elbow (the Tate Press). I’ve always done them on an Incline.

[quote]juanjromero wrote:

Have any hints to work the inside tricep?[/quote]

I think that’s what reverse-grip pushdowns are for. I think.

[quote]juanjromero wrote:
2274 wrote:
Try Tricep Pullovers.

supinated/pronated…cable/bar/db… stance, elbow position?, tempo?[/quote]

I find neutral grip with plates most effective. Make sure you bring that plate as low as you can with your back and triceps. Use a fast tempo.

Better yet, don’t worry about technicalities. Tricep pullovers really stretch the triceps and hit them hard, regardless of tempo, stance, etc. Just use heavy weight and full ROM.

The area you marked is not muscle tissue like the first responder noted.
Your second question was how to hit the inside tricep. There are two heads of your tricep near you lats, the medial and long head. Exercises such as dips, close grip bench and pushdowns will pretty much hit the medial head, but you do want to target overhead movements or pullovers (as has been suggested) to hit the long head. The long head attaches on to the scapula instead of the humerous like the medial and lateral head, which is why overhead targets it better.
This link may be helpful;
http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/TricepsBrachii.html

[quote]timmcbride00 wrote:
The area you marked is not muscle tissue like the first responder noted.
Your second question was how to hit the inside tricep. There are two heads of your tricep near you lats, the medial and long head. Exercises such as dips, close grip bench and pushdowns will pretty much hit the medial head, but you do want to target overhead movements or pullovers (as has been suggested) to hit the long head. The long head attaches on to the scapula instead of the humerous like the medial and lateral head, which is why overhead targets it better.
This link may be helpful;
http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/TricepsBrachii.html[/quote]

I want to emphasize on medial head. I have read that tris are 2/3 of arm girth. when I see my arm in traversal position, I can see that my tris are barely half my arm girth, bicep are larger than tris, my lateral head is great (so to speak), but medial looks thin. The long head has the rounded shape, a little flat but as I said I want to leverage all the three and get twice my bicep volume.

I am speaking when the arm is traversal viewed, extended in horizontal position.

this is my arm, you can see (as small as it is) that bicep is larger. extended or not.

Echoing a lot of the advice I’ve heard before, I don’t think you have enough mass or a big enough tricep to worry so much about hitting a specific head. Just blast the fuck out of your tris and the heads will grow.

Try French Presses if you want to hit the long head (the portion closest to your body).

Aside from that, do what they said.

[quote]bugeishaAD wrote:
Echoing a lot of the advice I’ve heard before, I don’t think you have enough mass or a big enough tricep to worry so much about hitting a specific head. Just blast the fuck out of your tris and the heads will grow.[/quote]

I think that is not good advice because we develop comfort and every part must look proportional. If I do favor an excercise over other the stronger muscle will take all the load itself, leaving the other in an unused position that later will make harder to grow it. I did not born muscular gifted. I am built from just fat.

so I keep my question, it is evident the lack on medial head. How do i hit it in more efective way?

I’d look up some of Thib’s arm programs as he explains it very well. Personally , i’d just do some weighted dips , and reverse pressdowns w/ the V bar, or rope. I must agree with other posters though , in that your arm just is not big enough for you to be worrying about which area has what. Instead , you should just focus on lifting heavy with close grip presses and skull crushers.

You aren’t close to having enough mass on your triceps to notice any disparities among the three heads. Once your arms get 3-4 inches bigger you can worry about specializing certain areas of the triceps.

[quote]SdotCarter wrote:
You aren’t close to having enough mass on your triceps to notice any disparities among the three heads. Once your arms get 3-4 inches bigger you can worry about specializing certain areas of the triceps.[/quote]

Agreed. Hell you should worry more about getting 50 more pounds of lean mass than anything else.

sorry, I don;t want 50 pound of mass on my body.
I just want 15.
I just want to adjust the arm ratio to my wrist proportion. not just adding mass without sense.
I insist, my question is about getting all the parts proportional, like trimming, not just becoming a muscle wall.
If I wanted thick arms, I would eat at large and got my original fatty 18" arms.

I disagree completly with the false premise that to see any disparities you must weight 200pounds. I know guys with less mass than me, working out just their large biceps with calves like matches.

I like this kind of posts because I can see the different aproaches to bb. I am not trying to argue but to make clear my vision.

I am driven by proportion. I am not weight driven, I am not bench driven, I am not mass driven. It is just proportion, let it be 150, 175, 200 or any poundage. if proportion is wrong, weight is useless.