Tricep Dips, Need help.

Hey all

Been a forum browser for a little while, first time poster. Just recently, i substituted tricep dips for overheads (as part of my tricep+chest routine) as my elbow was sorta playing up. In my second session of doing tricep dips, i felt an odd crack in my chest and was mildly uncomfortable. I’m feeling alright now but when i flex my chest im feeling something weird and when i assume the dip position on a chair or something.

I’ve been working out for about 6 months and have added on a fair few kilograms. Will this affect my progress?

Probably, until the weird feeling goes away.

anyone seem to know what it is?

were you doing dips behind the back? That can sometimes make elbows and shoulders worse, possibly chest though i havent heard of that. Whatever it was i suspect you should approach it very carefully next time and re-read on the form needed for whatever dip you are doing.

First though try to get a handle on where the pain is by gently flexing your chest then if it’s still there and feels about the same a week from the date of the injury check in with the doctor, it’s possible that you may have stretched or damaged some connective tissue - the doctor is more likely to find out.

You wont lose your 6 months progress even if you do need to take a couple of weeks out. perfect opportunity to freshen up your routine and start over with some lighter weights to work up from again.

[quote]KidC wrote:
Hey all

Been a forum browser for a little while, first time poster. Just recently, i substituted tricep dips for overheads (as part of my tricep+chest routine) as my elbow was sorta playing up. In my second session of doing tricep dips, i felt an odd crack in my chest and was mildly uncomfortable. I’m feeling alright now but when i flex my chest im feeling something weird and when i assume the dip position on a chair or something.

I’ve been working out for about 6 months and have added on a fair few kilograms. Will this affect my progress? [/quote]

Sounds like a subluxed strenoclavicular joint. Usually it can be adjusted back into place with no big problems. Just don’t lower yourself so far down when doing dips.

How old are you? I think I remember Dan John saying that most younger trainees (teenage or whatever) seem to have that sort of pain from doing dips.

hey all

Yeah im about 18 years old. The pain seemed to localised just above my sternum. Should i attempt to dip again? And yeah, it was behind the back ones, like the ones shown in here www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/WtTriDip.html Of course i was doing it with no weights. haha.