T Nation

Tricep-Dips, Isolation Exercise?

just wondering if tricep-dips count as a isolation exercise?

No.

No. It involves chest and shoulders as well, and you need a lot of stabilization to do them right (by making sure you don’t sway a lot). Come to think of it, they’re more compound than bench presses and pushups.

No, they’re compound all the way.

By triceps dips do you mean dips done between parallel bars or the kind you do on a bench?

Nope.

I meant on parallel bars. But, i only asked because Ian King in one of his articles said that its the best tricep building exercise he knows, or something along those lines, so was just wondering if it might be considered as isolation!

Not by a mile, triceps, chest, shoulders are involved.

[quote]MMG wrote:
just wondering if tricep-dips count as a isolation exercise?[/quote]

It’s not an isolation exercise but it’s very easy to turn it into a chest (dominant) or tricep (dominant) exercise with body positioning and simply pushing with the right muscles.

[quote]IQ wrote:
MMG wrote:

It’s not an isolation exercise but it’s very easy to turn it into a chest (dominant) or tricep (dominant) exercise with body positioning and simply pushing with the right muscles.[/quote]

I presume for the chest dominate exercise you use the parallel bars that are wide-set. but how would you make it tricep dominate? how would you have to position your body?

Someone correct me if I’m wrong…
Grip width & angle, and the way your body is learning are both factors here.

My old gym used to have bars that flared out towards you, and I would take a shoulder width grip on those, and go straight down and I still love doing dips to this day. But in teh gym at my school the dip bars are parallel and I am not getting nearly the stimulation, mostly just fatigue in the chest/shoulder area.

[quote]MMG wrote:
I meant on parallel bars. But, i only asked because Ian King in one of his articles said that its the best tricep building exercise he knows, or something along those lines, so was just wondering if it might be considered as isolation![/quote]

the reason they work so well for triceps is because they are a compound movement, also benefitting other nearby muscles.

Here is a good isolation exercise for your tris. We have been doing these the past few weeks, and they are brutal.

[quote]MMG wrote:
IQ wrote:
MMG wrote:

It’s not an isolation exercise but it’s very easy to turn it into a chest (dominant) or tricep (dominant) exercise with body positioning and simply pushing with the right muscles.

I presume for the chest dominate exercise you use the parallel bars that are wide-set. but how would you make it tricep dominate? how would you have to position your body?[/quote]

I use the same grip for both but I’ve found that modified Gironda Dips are the best for targeting the chest (personally I don’t need to flare my elbows or use a wide grip to avtivate my chest so I think about my shoulders and remove both elements) while leaning forward and keeping your body straight is best for targeting the triceps.

If you google Gironda Dips you should be able to find some videoes/pictures but the important part for me is that your hands end up in front of you which enables you to push with your chest in a similar way to the Bench Press.

As for the Tricep Dips (at least the way I do them) your hands end up behind you which:

1. Fully stretches out your chest throughout the entire movement making it very difficult to use your chest.

2. Enables you to lock your shoulders and use your elbows as the sole pivot point which means that you’re moving most of the weight with your triceps.

I only use these movements with bodyweight as the added weight hanging from a belt would change your center of gravity due to the leaning involved in both exercises. If I do weighted Dips I keep my body relatively upright so that I can use my chest, shoulders and triceps to move the weight.

ADDITIONAL TIPS

If you really want to hit your triceps hard keep constant tension on the muscle by stopping short of locking out.

If it’s taking too long to fatigue your triceps, superset the exercise with tricep pushups (hands close, elbows in and shoulders locked) it makes a big difference.

Hope that helped.