Tricep and Shoulder Accessory Lifts for Bench?

How’s it going everyone!

I always like adding new things and trying new things out in my training so I don’t get too complacent with the same stuff/get bored.

Was wondering what are some of your favorite accessory lifts for triceps and shoulders and which have helped your bench out the most.

Personally, I do a lot of weighted dips, EZ bar Skullcrushers, and Cable Tricep extensions for triceps. For shoulders I mostly do Standing Military press, Upright Rows, and Cable Face Pulls for rear delts.

I love OHP and Push Press. I don’t do much direct tricep work, but I should definitely add dips back in and do some overhead tricep extensions.

For rear delts, I like Rear Delt Swings for high reps like John Meadows showed in one article. I’m currently doing a lot of duffalo bench and I feel that a lot in my front delt. I don’t do any direct front delt work, and I plan on doing medial delt in later cycles.

Triceps: all kinds of close grip variations, dips, tricep extension variations, JM presses.

Shoulders: mostly just OHP, but I do it seated, no point in adding more lower back fatigue for a non-competition lift. Various shoulder raises are good too. For rear delts, other than rows and chin ups, I do face pulls and band pull aparts. Rear delt flys can work too.

If you don’t know what you’re doing then Upright Rows together with Bench Press is a good recipe for shoulder problems.

For stuff that hasn’t been mentioned, I’ll add floor press to the press variations and Dicks Press, seated behind the neck press and seated smith machine to overhead press variations (and log hehe also heard good things about trapbar presses but I have no experience, seems silly to me but ymmv) and kneeling overhead extensions for accessory work.

I also like cuban presses for shoulder stability.

1 Like

Triceps: Close grip bench, JM press to a board, extensions, French press

Shoulders: Seated press off pins, front plate raise, side raise, face pulls

I like anything that hits them. Doesn’t really matter which ones you do. They all work if you do them correctly.

If you want to make it simple, pick one exercise for triceps and rep the crap out of it with high volume for 4 weeks then switch to a different one. Do the same thing for shoulders.

I like seated military press for shoulders. For me it has the most transfer to my bench. For triceps you said you already do dips so I would say board/benchblock press, floorpress, or banded closegrip bench. Stick with one of these variations for a couple weeks and switch it out, just don’t switch your variation every week. I like to make my training goals to increase my variations then watch my comp lifts go up.