Tricep and/or Elbow Pain

I know there is a similar thread thats already been posted, but I’m not sure if my symptoms are exactly the same or if its the same problem, so I’m keeping this independeent of the other one.

This started about 2-3 weeks ago. I first felt it when bench pressing, that I would get a dull pain in my lower tricep/elbow region when doing my working sets. After a while, it just kept getting worse and worse. Now, I start feeling it near the end of my squat sets (that I do prior to bench, starting strength). Then when I did power cleans, it would aggravate it further, especially if I cant bring the bar high enough and I don’t get low enough under the bar when rotating my elbows. Funny thing is it doesn’t hurt that much when doing military presses.

I first thought it was my upper tricep/shoulder, but now It is definitely my lower tricep/elbow region, and it almost feels like its the tendon that connects the tricep muscle to the elbow. I can’t even do my workouts properly, the pain becomes strong after my warm-up of 45 on the olympic bar. When I stop my workout, the pain goes away about 30 min after, and only reoccurs when I go back to doing my workout. The weird thing is, it comes back when I play basketball, go figure. Anyone have a similar problem? What do you guys think that could help me out?

I’ve had the exact same type of pain for about 4 years now. I had some chips and tissue damage, so I had it scoped. Get some ART done and cut all pressing immediately. I started ART right when I started getting bad pain at 16, but I’ve been playing football ever since and my elbow is just fucked. Check www.activerelease.com to see if someone near you practices it.

Haha, you caught me. I actually realized it after I made my post. I finally put two and two together…lol. But yea, it appears to be tricep tendonitis…damn, i was hoping I didn’t have to take any breaks.

Excuse the old thread bump but at least it shows I’m using search…

I’ve just starting developing some the symptoms as described by the OP in the last 2 weeks. How often should the treatment protocol above be followed?

Is it worth getting some sleeves, I know C_C is a big advocate of them but I’m not exactly lifting massive weights like a lot of guys on here.

Thanks

PS. It’s not my fault this thread is in the wrong forum! Can anyone move it to the injuries forum?

You lift less weight, yes, but your entire supporting structure is also weaker than ours.
Why wait until you’ve had some catastrophic injury before taking measures?

That being said, sleeves may help, or not. They’re no cure-all…

I’ll give them a try, can’t hurt.

What sort of thing would you recommend? I’m based in the Uk so might not have access to the same brands as yourself.

Thanks

[quote]Kaizen08 wrote:
I know there is a similar thread thats already been posted, but I’m not sure if my symptoms are exactly the same or if its the same problem, so I’m keeping this independeent of the other one.

This started about 2-3 weeks ago. I first felt it when bench pressing, that I would get a dull pain in my lower tricep/elbow region when doing my working sets. After a while, it just kept getting worse and worse. Now, I start feeling it near the end of my squat sets (that I do prior to bench, starting strength). Then when I did power cleans, it would aggravate it further, especially if I cant bring the bar high enough and I don’t get low enough under the bar when rotating my elbows. Funny thing is it doesn’t hurt that much when doing military presses.

I first thought it was my upper tricep/shoulder, but now It is definitely my lower tricep/elbow region, and it almost feels like its the tendon that connects the tricep muscle to the elbow. I can’t even do my workouts properly, the pain becomes strong after my warm-up of 45 on the olympic bar. When I stop my workout, the pain goes away about 30 min after, and only reoccurs when I go back to doing my workout. The weird thing is, it comes back when I play basketball, go figure. Anyone have a similar problem? What do you guys think that could help me out?[/quote]

Is it dull pain around the elbow, or just at the back of the lower upper arm right above the elbow? Just out of curiosity…

Once you’ve gotten rid of it, I’d stay the hell away from SS if I were you.

[quote]Merv77 wrote:
I’ll give them a try, can’t hurt.

What sort of thing would you recommend? I’m based in the Uk so might not have access to the same brands as yourself.

Thanks[/quote]

I can’t mention the site I got my various sleeves from, it’s against the forum rules.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Is it dull pain around the elbow, or just at the back of the lower upper arm right above the elbow? Just out of curiosity…

[/quote]

Sorry, was that question addressed to the OP? He posted that 2 years ago, I’d hope he’s sorted it by now.

[quote]Merv77 wrote:

[/quote]

Sorry, was that question addressed to the OP? He posted that 2 years ago, I’d hope he’s sorted it by now.[/quote]

Ahaha, you’re right… I didn’t check the date at all…

Yeah, ignore that post then.

Check my profile info… E-mail me and we can discuss what sleeves to use…

I can’t mention the site I got my various sleeves from, it’s against the forum rules.
[/quote]

Can you do morse code?

Check my profile info… E-mail me and we can discuss what sleeves to use…

[/quote]

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

I read a tip somewhere (i think PB Andy) that band pushdowns are good for this. When my elbows hurt i do lots and lots of reps of these.

Band pushdowns are great for the elbow, you know you are screwed when your elbow flares ups while doing bands puhsdowns.

[quote]howie424 wrote:
I read a tip somewhere (i think PB Andy) that band pushdowns are good for this. When my elbows hurt i do lots and lots of reps of these. [/quote]

Do you mean as a rehab exercise or an elbow friendly alternative to other tricep work?

C_C, did you get my mail?

Rehab exercise, warmup exercise, i always do when doing any kind of pressing.

Ok, thanks.

Anyway, I bought some elbow sleeves (thanks C_C), and started covering up my arms while sleeping as suggested by BBB and things seemed to have settled down a lot.

[quote]Merv77 wrote:
Ok, thanks.

Anyway, I bought some elbow sleeves (thanks C_C), and started covering up my arms while sleeping as suggested by BBB and things seemed to have settled down a lot.
[/quote]

for real? i may try sleeping with elbow sleeves then, my elbow is getting a pain in the ass lately.