T Nation

Tribute to Evan Tanner

You and Bas Rutten were the first sports heroes I ever had. I first saw you against Phil Baroni at UFC 45, and your soft-spoken and humble ways impressed the hell out of me, as did your never-say-die attitude, like they way you came back against him.

You lived a life worth living, a simplistic one free some material things that most cannot even fathom. Although the wandering life is the life you chose, it saddens me that you died alone. I’m not really sure you ever understood how many people admired you.

Then again, perhaps it is fitting that you died alone as you were truly one of a kind.

Share your Evan Tanner stories, pics, and other such things here and will someone make a fucking tribute video to actually give a decent testament to the man.

btw if you haven’t heard the story

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7059&zoneid=13

Tanner was one of the first fighters that I really liked as a person. Honestly, I’m shocked but not surprised at the situation. I don’t think he would be either. In fact, he had planned for this situation and had his friends contact the authorities to find him. He was a real human being and put himself out there - problems and all. He did more in his short life than most people will with twice the time. He was caring and humble and will be sorely missed.

Team Tanner FTW.
RIP.

Definitely a unique individual, and in the sports short history one of the only characters that truly stood out. Evan loved the outdoors and living off the land, and if he had to go out I’m sure this is as close as it gets to how he would want it to end. He had some of the craziest fights ever to take place in the cage, and was the guy with the hot hand when I started taking interest in the sport. I just wish I had a chance to meet him.

Tanner was definitely one-of-a-kind. He’ll be missed. He was a warrior. And that beard was legendary.

Tanner was in the first MMA fight I ever watched against Dave Terrell for the middleweight title at UFC 51. It was this fight that got me thinking about training martial arts again. A true legend and a warrior. Tanner will be missed but he will truely become a legend!

R.I.P

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
I just wish I had a chance to meet him.[/quote]

Same.

Leave it to me as I find a way to be
Consider me a satellite, forever orbiting
I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me
Guaranteed
—Eddie Vedder, ‘Guaranteed’. The song playing on Evan Tanner’s myspace page.

Rest in Peace, Evan. It would be hard to find a better man.

R.I.P.

I may be a long time reader but not much on posting but for Evan I have to pay respect.

All the cliches will abound now that he is no longer with us and many will take a look at his life.
I can say he was definitely more than a fighter, an eccentric and quirky man, battled demons, did things his own way and most importantly I believe he tried to LIVE.

I was following Evan’s blogs and various exploits the last few years and always felt even though it was through a keyboard that one was getting true honesty out of him, he seemed to be more honest with himself then most people allow, a hard place to be sometimes.

He was an unorthodox self taught fighter that never had the kind of backing or training that others have had and is necessary for high level success in MMA, but in spite of that he was a pioneer, champion, and trailblazer in the sport, one of the fighters that bridged the old first wave of NHB/MMA to the modern complete game MMA.

Even his last two performances though losses, showed he was still able to compete at an extremely high level even while not necessarily mentally or physically prepared for a fight.
I believe we never did find out about the health concerns he himself has after his last fight.

We don’t all need to be like Evan, but I’m glad the world has a few like him, he will be missed and remembered.

He was definitely a T-man.
Let us all remember that we have the power over our own lives and to effect the lives of others, something Evan realized during his life long pursuit of “education in living”.

Believe In The Power of One

Peace
Joe

[quote]Oban wrote:
R.I.P.

I may be a long time reader but not much on posting but for Evan I have to pay respect.

All the cliches will abound now that he is no longer with us and many will take a look at his life.
I can say he was definitely more than a fighter, an eccentric and quirky man, battled demons, did things his own way and most importantly I believe he tried to LIVE.

I was following Evan’s blogs and various exploits the last few years and always felt even though it was through a keyboard that one was getting true honesty out of him, he seemed to be more honest with himself then most people allow, a hard place to be sometimes.

He was an unorthodox self taught fighter that never had the kind of backing or training that others have had and is necessary for high level success in MMA, but in spite of that he was a pioneer, champion, and trailblazer in the sport, one of the fighters that bridged the old first wave of NHB/MMA to the modern complete game MMA.

Even his last two performances though losses, showed he was still able to compete at an extremely high level even while not necessarily mentally or physically prepared for a fight.
I believe we never did find out about the health concerns he himself has after his last fight.

We don’t all need to be like Evan, but I’m glad the world has a few like him, he will be missed and remembered.

He was definitely a T-man.
Let us all remember that we have the power over our own lives and to effect the lives of others, something Evan realized during his life long pursuit of “education in living”.

Believe In The Power of One

Peace
Joe

[/quote]

Great post.

Tribute song to Evan Tanner

http://www.ubetoo.com/TopSongs.taf?_SongId=4767