Tribulus Terrestris Suppressive?

This is the first I’ve ever heard of these, but I just heard a rumor that tribulus terrestris might be suppressive if used too long (or for too high a dosage) to T-levels. Something about it being beneficial at the HPTA level but suppressive at the testicular level . . . I think it’s just a theory that someone mentioned, but do any of you T-Nation/Biotest folks have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

[quote]Damici wrote:
This is the first I’ve ever heard of these, but I just heard a rumor that tribulus terrestris might be suppressive if used too long (or for too high a dosage) to T-levels. Something about it being beneficial at the HPTA level but suppressive at the testicular level . . . I think it’s just a theory that someone mentioned, but do any of you T-Nation/Biotest folks have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.[/quote]

Hi Damici,

I don’t see why that would be, nor do I know of any supportive data for such a statement.

I’d like to know how it’s suppressive at the testicular level.

To give a little bit more thought to it. The only way I could see that the hypothesis has merit was if there were some type of LH-like compound in the extract which essentially acted as an LH-agonist at the leydig cells, which, if given enough, over time, could result in down-regulation of the G protein-coupled receptors (LH/hCG receptors).

However, all the available data does not indicate that there is any such compound, but rather, the increased testosterone is the result of increased endogenous LH secretion. So, again, I can’t see how that statement could be true, given the available literature.

Amd lets not forget, that you SHOULD be cycling it as well. Either 5 on/2 off, or 12 weeks on 2 weeks off.

Thanks Cy and VR. I was suspicious of the theory myself.

Much obliged.