Trevor Smith Footage

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

So…you posted one video of Trevor Smith to say bad things about him?

[/quote]

Care to provide these “bad things” said? Feel free to quote. [/quote]

I guess that failed, huh?[/quote]

How is disbelieving someone is 400 pounds or being surprised that someone who claimed outrageous development and strength feats didn’t live up to his words?

[/quote]

You’re not allowed to have an opinion bro. You must take him at his word, just as you must take X’s word as gospel.

You doubted a notable strong man, you may as well have said you raped his mother… how dare you

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
God, Brick don’t get sucked into his retarded let’s-stir-some-shit-to-get-attention routine again.

I think the Trevor thing comes down to the fact that there are always people that just “want to believe”.[/quote]

X is the main reason so many quality posters have left the site over the years, and will continue to be as long as he’s around. These forums would be so much more productive without him, but for some strange reason he’s allowed to post with impunity.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

So…you posted one video of Trevor Smith to say bad things about him?

[/quote]

Care to provide these “bad things” said? Feel free to quote. [/quote]

I guess that failed, huh?[/quote]

How is disbelieving someone is 400 pounds or being surprised that someone who claimed outrageous development and strength feats didn’t live up to his words?
[/quote]

How does the video you posted show that he didn’t live up to his words?

He was a huge man who did get to over 400lbs. A poster right here mentioned his lifting as impressive…so one can only conclude your goal was to show he “didn’t live up to his words”/…even though he apparently did.

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a tool…

I met him at Gold’s Gym Venice. He was inhumanly large. Tall, tree trunk of a man. Perhaps he appears less large because he didn’t have the widest structure but from the side he looked like he could block the sun. Enormous arms and quads. That video does NOT do him justice.

And he was throwing some serious weight around. He was training chest and I was asked to spot him on 150lb flies with which he die 12 perfect reps and another 4 with me assisting him. He wanted to do more but I simply could not continue spotting him with that kind of weight.
He mentioned that normally he would have his partners move the weight up and than he would lower the weight for 12 seconds for another 4 reps.

He was a bit miffed I could not move 300lbs back into position :)[/quote]

Maybe you are correct. In that video he did not look particularly massive (by O level bodybuilding standards) but i also wasnt aware that he was that tall. [/quote]

I agree. Not sure about the time frame of the video. I met him (only once, mind you) in 2001 I think. Just a few years before he passed away.
He did NOT look like a bodybuilder, hence me describing him as a tree trunk of a man.

And 400lbs? Of course I cannot know because it is not like he was on a scale but I was 260lbs at the time (at 6 foot) and he utterly dwarfed me. I mean, I looked like a kid standing next to him.

So for whatever that’s worth…

I got no stake in it. He actually did not come off as that likable…

But 150lbs strict flies was memorable, I will tell you that. And benching 5 plates on each side for slow mo reps is still pretty much the most amazing thing I have ever seen in the gym.
Each rep must have taken 8-10 seconds and he did twelve of them, I believe, before he did another 4 reps with a guy helping him and another 2 that were agonizingly slow on the eccentric! (two guys helping him get the barbell back up).

Plus, it wasn’t just the eccentric that was slow, he would do 4 sec up and 4 sec down. That’s real, real control of the weight.

Funny the direction this thread has taken though…

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:

I met him at Gold’s Gym Venice. He was inhumanly large. Tall, tree trunk of a man. Perhaps he appears less large because he didn’t have the widest structure but from the side he looked like he could block the sun. Enormous arms and quads. That video does NOT do him justice.

And he was throwing some serious weight around. He was training chest and I was asked to spot him on 150lb flies with which he die 12 perfect reps and another 4 with me assisting him. He wanted to do more but I simply could not continue spotting him with that kind of weight.
He mentioned that normally he would have his partners move the weight up and than he would lower the weight for 12 seconds for another 4 reps.

Maybe you are correct. In that video he did not look particularly massive (by O level bodybuilding standards) but i also wasnt aware that he was that tall. [/quote]

Funny the direction this thread has taken though…[/quote]

Yeah, wonder who the catalyst was for that…

How does the video you posted show that he didn’t live up to his words? [/quote]

I was expecting something different. Two inch machine squats and thighs that he showed in that video–although NOT small at all–do not contend with pro size of his time-that is, thighs that a guy competing at 375 lean would look like.

[quote]

He was a huge man who did get to over 400lbs. A poster right here mentioned his lifting as impressive…so one can only conclude your goal was to show he “didn’t live up to his words”/…even though he apparently did.[/quote]

I don’t believe he ever got over 400 pounds, and if he did it would be a morbidly obese physique.

Usually when I post I’m not goal-oriented. You see, unlike you, I don’t take an internet forum so seriously that I assign goals and objectives to posts. To me, a forum is for talking shop, discussing a hobby, and so on. Can’t say I put so much thought or energy into it as you do or as I myself once did.

The other poster saw something I didn’t. That’s pretty simple.

I shared this video not to bash Trevor, but because I simply wanted to share it because I used to follow the guy’s stuff back in the early 2000’s and I finally got a chance to see what his lifting was like. How’s that for a goal?

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

How does the video you posted show that he didn’t live up to his words? [/quote]

I was expecting something different. Two inch machine squats and thighs that he showed in that video–although NOT small at all–do not contend with pro size of his time-that is, thighs that a guy competing at 375 lean would look like. [/quote]

He was never competing at 375lbs. He is also much taller than the average person so unless you saw a video of him standing next to a normal sized person, it is more likely you perspective was off rather than he was so much smaller than expected.

[quote]
I don’t believe he ever got over 400 pounds, and if he did it would be a morbidly obese physique. [/quote]

But…he did get to over 400lbs. This was fairly well known at the time.

[quote]

I shared this video not to bash Trevor, but because I simply wanted to share it because I used to follow the guy’s stuff back in the early 2000’s and I finally got a chance to see what his lifting was like. How’s that for a goal? [/quote]

I don’t care about your goals. You chose one video and decided to claim his legs were small and shapeless and that he was weaker than expected.

You and friends can pretend that you didn’t mean anything negative by it.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

I was expecting something different. Two inch machine squats and thighs that he showed in that video–although NOT small at all–do not contend with pro size of his time-that is, thighs that a guy competing at 375 lean would look like. [/quote]

He was never competing at 375lbs. He is also much taller than the average person so unless you saw a video of him standing next to a normal sized person, it is more likely you perspective was off rather than he was so much smaller than expected.

[quote]
I don’t believe he ever got over 400 pounds, and if he did it would be a morbidly obese physique. [/quote]

But…he did get to over 400lbs. This was fairly well known at the time.

Didn’t I, word-for-word above, say that his legs were not small.

Not pretending here, but I’ve come to grips that you a highly intolerant person, and I have to accept this.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

Didn’t I, word-for-word above, say that his legs were not small.
[/quote]

You wrote this:

Maybe on your planet this doesn’t mean anything in regards to their size not being up to par.

Yeah, for a man supposedly 400 pounds. That’s a bit different than an absolute statement such as “his legs were small”.

Speaking of planets, I’d like to know what world you come from or operate in, one in which everything every man around you has to watch their p’s and q’s and make sure their statements are so pleasing to your ears or eyes?

Or a world in which grown men hold back all of their words because some guy’s arms are big. Granted rudeness should generally be avoided, but the degree of thought and speech control you prefer because some guy is big is comical.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Yeah, for a man supposedly 400 pounds. That’s a bit different than an absolute statement such as “his legs were small”.

Speaking of planets, I’d like to know what world you come from or operate in, one in which everything every man around you has to watch their p’s and q’s and make sure their statements are so pleasing to your ears or eyes?[/quote]

I am not interested in your P’s and I am sure your Q’s are equally unattractive.

I am just noticing a common act with you and many others lately…making jokes about people who took this activity to extreme levels.

I am sure that is cute to you.

But then, you also thought your P’s and Q’s were hawt.

Wow. someone has a different opinion, admittedly from one video, where he couldn’t judge height, and the whole thread turns not to discussions of Trevor himself, but to what horrible secret agenda the OP had by even sharing his thoughts in the first place.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Wow. someone has a different opinion, admittedly from one video, where he couldn’t judge height, and the whole thread turns not to discussions of Trevor himself, but to what horrible secret agenda the OP had by even sharing his thoughts in the first place.

S[/quote]

The alternative was clearly a thread where everyone doubted his stats for no reason even though his size and weights used were common knowledge in bodybuilding circles before he died.

Also, the guy is dead. Excuse me for seeing [quote]soft legs without any appreciable shape or size for a man who’s supposedly 400 pounds[/quote] as a poor representation of what he actually did before he died.

We can discuss “bigorexia”…which some friends thought he had because he never saw himself as big enough. We can discuss a million things rather than the same old “it’s not on youtube so it didn’t happen” routine like what was happening here.

I have no control over “the whole thread”. I have as much right to write what I did as those who didn’t know about the guy are with saying he wasn’t 400lbs at all.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

Speaking of planets, I’d like to know what world you come from or operate in, one in which everything every man around you has to watch their p’s and q’s and make sure their statements are so pleasing to your ears or eyes?[/quote]

I am not interested in your P’s and I am sure your Q’s are equally unattractive.

I am just noticing a common act with you and many others lately…making jokes about people who took this activity to extreme levels.

I am sure that is cute to you.

But then, you also thought your P’s and Q’s were hawt.[/quote]

And not a joke was made in this thread.

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:

Funny the direction this thread has taken though…[/quote]

Yeah, wonder who the catalyst was for that…
[/quote]

haha, yeah, that ignore button really doesn’t work for you guys I guess. I don’t know why the same posters seem to get under each other’s skin so badly…

It’s just the internet and as far as I can tell no one is paying attention…

Ah well, when I saw Trevor he was huge, did not look much like a bodybuilder, and standing next to him made me feel like a wee little laddy, he didn’t come across as that likable, his form was impeccable, slow concentric and slow eccentric and he impressed the shit out of me with the weights he used while using that strict form.

that should end the thread, no?

You know who he reminded me of? Jeep Swenson! SImilar build. Enormous but not like Ronnie or Jay enormous.
He’s the guy that played Bane in the earlier Batman series.

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
You know who he reminded me of? Jeep Swenson! SImilar build. Enormous but not like Ronnie or Jay enormous.
He’s the guy that played Bane in the earlier Batman series.[/quote]

I remember when he died.

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
He’s the guy that played Bane in the earlier Batman series.[/quote]

Exactly…both seemed to follow the same path.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
I shared this video not to bash Trevor[/quote]

Well it sure doesn’t seem that way. Your comments go along the lines of saying his legs are soft, he would never have competed at 375 and that he probably never even weighed 400.

Here’s the thing, when I see this vid I thought two things.

1. those machine squats seem a bit stupid, but they obviously worked for him.
  2. His pain tolerance on the leg extensions/curls must be extremely high, and perhaps I should try those super slow reps as a means for stimulating growth.

So taking what is useful, I will incorporate some slow rep extensions/curls into my own training and see how they feel. Conversely I will not be loading up a machine with every plate at the gym to do 2inch ROM squats, primarily because I don’t have the balls to deal with everyone staring at me.

So why is it that you find some rare footage, but only see all the negatives?