Trent's Contest Prep Thread

Hey guys! I’ve learned a lot from and enjoyed following the contest threads of Stu, Tim, Lonnie, Grind, Zraw, Spidey, etc, and I hope that anyone who is interested will follow along, comment, and help me out with mine! I’ll be starting my contest prep this weekend for two shows in late May/early June.

I’ll be competing in men’s physique, but bodybuilding is definitely my plan for the future and I’ll be approaching the prep as if I’m competing in bb’ing. Don’t hold back with the men’s bikini jokes though, I can handle it :). I will be prepping for 20 weeks, and will be working with IFPA pro Brian Ahlstrom on my prep. Jacob Trout of The Strength Guys Inc. does my training (highly recommend Jacob, he is going big places in coaching in my opinion!).

A little background info on myself: I’m 20 years old, and am a junior in college. I play baseball at an NCAA DIII school in Nebraska, so it’ll be interesting prepping during the season, lol. I had originally planned to start prep at the end of the season and compete in late summer shows, but I decided this makes the most sense for me financially, as there are two shows in Nebraska that I can compete in this spring. If anyone has any questions or comments, please post! I’ll go ahead and post a few pictures that I sent Brian today.

Posing is obviously a work in progress! Obviously bb’ing posing won’t matter much for physique, but as bodybuilding is my plan down the road I want to get better at posing now.

Back relaxed

back double bi

front double bi. This pose shows my arms need a lot of work

It looks like you have a naturally lean structure, which could bode well for physique. How much are you looking to cut? I’d say there’s no doubt you’re going to be razor sharp in 20wks, but I wonder if you’ll be able to keep some size on.

Either way, I’m looking forward to following along.

JS

Excited! Definitely in for this! Good luck bro!

[quote]jschultzFF wrote:
It looks like you have a naturally lean structure, which could bode well for physique. How much are you looking to cut? I’d say there’s no doubt you’re going to be razor sharp in 20wks, but I wonder if you’ll be able to keep some size on.

Either way, I’m looking forward to following along.

JS[/quote]

Thanks man, glad to have you in the thread! To be honest, I’m not quite sure what to expect the finished product to look like. In the past, I had always followed the “see food, eat food” approach to bulking, trying to gain a pound a week. I actually competed in physique in November of 2012, and started that prep weighing 205 lbs. Needless to say, I was shocked when I had to cut all the way down to 170, lol. I wasn’t carrying much muscle on stage; it was way too short of a prep, only 12 weeks. Since then, I’ve let the mirror and strength gains be the judge, and have focused on slowly building up my metabolism and staying as lean as possible. I’m weighing in at 188-190 right now. I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up in the low 170’s, but I hope that it will be a much denser, more muscular physique

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
Excited! Definitely in for this! Good luck bro![/quote]

Thanks a lot Kev!

Sweet zombie Jesus, those legs! :slight_smile:
This should be a fun ride

Good stuff, I am definitely in for the long haul here. Beyond humbled you gave me a shout out, thanks brother. Feel free to bounce ideas off me any time.

Looks like you are starting with a great base though, cant wait to see the end result.

You have an awesome name. I’ll be lurking obv.

I will be following along. Good luck brotha

Alright. I just love that this site’s BBing forum has become such a great community of competitors and supportive folks.

I remember your last contest outing, and I have no doubt that you’ll be bringing not just a better physique in terms of muscle, but a better attitude and outlook. Having gone through the prep experience before, I’m sure you view things much differently now than you most likely did before you even considered competing.

You’re already starting off fairly lean, which is great in terms of being able to not rush your prep. Also, lest anyone overly concern themselves with your needing more muscle (don’t we all need a bit more? -lol), things can appear quite different once bf levels reach a certain point, no matter what the scale actually says.

S

Nice pwolves I’m in.

Good luck, Trent.

You had to have put on a ton of mass recently because look how small your Bulls jersey looks now.

Curious Trent, how are you going about prepping during Baseball? I know you said it’ll be interesting, but I remember the HS baseball team doing a TON of cardio. re you concerned about that at all?

You’re right handed huh?

I’ll be following along as well. Any pics from your last contest? 20 weeks should give you plenty of time considering how lean you already are. Get some!

[quote]Pabro wrote:
Sweet zombie Jesus, those legs! :slight_smile:
This should be a fun ride[/quote]

Haha thanks man, nice to hear a compliment on my legs! I feel like I’ve made some nice progress with them in the last few months, long way to go though

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Good stuff, I am definitely in for the long haul here. Beyond humbled you gave me a shout out, thanks brother. Feel free to bounce ideas off me any time.

Looks like you are starting with a great base though, cant wait to see the end result.[/quote]

Thanks Lonnie, I’ll definitely be looking for your thoughts a lot throughout the process!