T Nation

Treadmill Walking on Off Days?

Im trying to lose some fat, and I want to start 531, or texas method, can I walk on the off days on the treadmill? I will be doing intense jumprope on upper body days after lifting, and bike sprints or some type of intense lower body cardio on the lower body days(531) and I will be eating on a deficit, I have already been on a deficit, but want to switch up my lifting. Im around 20% bf and want to cut down. Any replies will be helpful. Thank you.

You can walk everyday.

If you don’t want to stress your body keep the pace comfortable. If you are sweating or breathing heavy you may be going too fast or with too high of an incline.

[quote]JLone wrote:
You can walk everyday.

If you don’t want to stress your body keep the pace comfortable. If you are sweating or breathing heavy you may be going too fast or with too high of an incline.

[/quote]

I usually sweat, and my heart rate is up, but I never am I breathing heavy. Should I still lower the pace?

Why a treadmill? Just take a walk.

I run or sprint or pull a sled basically every day. Including before, on, and after leg day. Being scared of loosing muscle or not being able to load as many pounds on the squat bar held me back more than anything. Eat well, rest well, and you’ll be amazed with how much your body can adapt.

[quote]Cardellichio wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:
You can walk everyday.

[/quote]
I usually sweat, and my heart rate is up, but I never am I breathing heavy. Should I still lower the pace?
[/quote]
Just keep your active recovery from becoming a workout that will add more stress to the system.

If you focus on consistent intense workouts in a well formulated plan you don’t need to make every activity a workout.
Know when to stress the system and when to back off and recover.

OP wtf are you asking about walking on the treadmill for , most people that dont have a wimpy office job are on thier feet walking around for most of the day.

[quote]Cardellichio wrote:
Im trying to lose some fat, and I want to start 531, or texas method, can I walk on the off days on the treadmill?[/quote]
You’re a 16-year old football player. An easy walk a few days a week will be fine.

What does your training week look like - days, exercises, sets, and reps? And what are your numbers on the basic lifts?

Even without knowing details, I have a feeling you might be doing too much, too soon, especially if you have weekly practices on top of hard cardio on top of lifting. It’s important to prioritize one goal at a time in order to maximize progress in the offseason.

[quote]Field wrote:
OP wtf are you asking about walking on the treadmill for , most people that dont have a wimpy office job are on thier feet walking around for most of the day.[/quote]

Oh, we have ourselves a badass here…lol. Those urban folk ain’t real men!

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Field wrote:
OP wtf are you asking about walking on the treadmill for , most people that dont have a wimpy office job are on thier feet walking around for most of the day.[/quote]

Oh, we have ourselves a badass here…lol. Those urban folk ain’t real men![/quote]

Damn, maybe I need to quit my high paying job so I don’t feel wimpy.

OP, fasted morning walks can be very beneficial. 30 minutes every day, very low intensity. Sweating while you walk sounds like you’re pushing a little too hard.

I know your post was about walking but id like to make a suggestion.

Whenever im gearing up to deploy the unit Im with does a workout three times a week in addition to our regular training to get us used to the rigors of hiking with a pack and vest

Get one of those step up platforms, like chicks use in the zunba or whatever classes. The wide ones that you can add extra squares under to make it taller. Throw on a wieght vest or hold a 35lb plate in each hand. Then step up and down off the playform for 20 minutes at a time. It really makes your quads stronger and burns calories.

In your case, if youre worried about losing muscle, get a heart rate moniter and make sure you stay between 125 and 145 bpm. This is ideal for fat burning without breaking into the endurance zone.

Even though my personal fitness goals are strength amd endurance oriented i still think this particular workout could be very effective for you for burning cals

Ok sorry for double post but i just had to throw this in there

Im sure youve heard this a million times, but youre 16 man you dont want to do a ton of heavy lifting and stunt your growth.

I was a lightweight rower in high school, i was supposed to be 6’5" but because of how badly i had to starve my body to make weight i ended up at 6’1"

Also, youre a football player, unless youre already above 6 foot youre not going to make a career out of being a lineman. So youre going to want to be fast and agile. College recruiters dont look for the guys that are 5’10" and 200 pounds theyll make you bigger once they recruit you. Theyre looking for the guys with the skill and speed.

Also, the lifts youre speaking of are way more bulk oriented. If you want to be a great player instead of a good player you need functional, usable, explosive strength.

Just my .02 i hope you find it helpful

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Field wrote:

Oh, we have ourselves a badass here…lol. Those urban folk ain’t real men![/quote]

Damn, maybe I need to quit my high paying job so I don’t feel wimpy… [/quote]

I apologize , from my experience i have stereotyped office workers as generally being overpaid and doing a bunch of intangible , invisible nonsense. I cant relate to this smoke&mirrors crap, I work in industrial maintenance.

I’d rather get paid a little less , feel like im actually doing things of substance , be on my feet most the day , have the occasional fun challenge and actually look forward to work on Monday mornings.