T Nation

Treadmill Sprinting Question

Regardless of what program I’m planning on implementing, I still had a quick question about treadmill sprints…

All programs have sprint times and rest times. For the rest times what do you guys usually do? grab on to the rails, step onto the sides while the treadmill is still going and then hop back on for the next round of sprinting? Or do you decrease the speed, so that you’re still walking/jogging during the rest intervals? Or does it really depend on the program?

pressing the buttons takes too damn long, so when I do treadmill sprints I hop off to the sides and if you want to walk just hop off the machine and walk close to the machine so no idiot jumps on thinking its not on.

I hate running on treadmills. It is only acceptable if there is a snow storm outside.

Buy some cleats, put on a tracksuit if its cold, and jog to you local park. Mark out 100m, and sprint. Repeat 10 times.

/thread

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
I hate running on treadmills. It is only acceptable if there is a snow storm outside.

Buy some cleats, put on a tracksuit if its cold, and jog to you local park. Mark out 100m, and sprint. Repeat 10 times.

/thread

tweet[/quote]

this has nothing to do with the OP’s question so lets not /thread

[quote]wildcat09 wrote:

All programs have sprint times and rest times. For the rest times what do you guys usually do? grab on to the rails, step onto the sides while the treadmill is still going and then hop back on for the next round of sprinting? Or do you decrease the speed, so that you’re still walking/jogging during the rest intervals? Or does it really depend on the program?[/quote]

go with whatever option feels more right

your question does illustrate why there’s really no such thing as “treadmill sprinting”

of course, most would benefit from “treadmill running” anyhow

I slow down to about 2 - 2.5mph between sprints. Also use the 2% incline to make up for the ease of treadmill v. earth. Up here treadmill is only way to run in the winter. Seriously its 25 degrees and feels like the warmest day in months. I have a six foot pile of snow in my yard. And its dark all the time.

On the treadmill I usually hop off to the sides, wait 15 or 20 secs and hop on again. I only walk after completing all rounds, while decreasing the incline which I often set between 15 and 18%.