Treadmill Incline Walking

I have recently started doing walks on the treadmill incline walks to add in some extra caloric expenditure. I know Lonnie Lowery has supported this in the past but I wanted to know how much I am actually working compared to a sprint session. I usually do 2-3 days a week of 2 minute on 2 minute off sprints for sets of 5.

I have been adding in a few days of walks on the treadmill at 7-8 degree incline at 3.5 mph or so for like 45 minutes. I was shocked when the treadmill told me I was burning well over 500 calories in that time when I was only breaking a light sweat. Is there any way that is actually true. How much am I losing out if i am sprinting twice a week and incline walking twice a week vs just doing HIIT 4 times a weeek.

I’m not exactly sure how many calories you are burning, but make sure you are doing it HANDS FREE. You don’t want to look like one of those 10lbs stuffed into a 5lb spandex bag wearing cardio “bunnies” that set the treadmill at 10 mph on a severe incline and hang on for dear life.

I don’t think your losing out at all, but it depends on your goals.

Since you posted this in the bodybuilding section: in my opinion, doing HIIT 4 days a week hinders progress in the weightroom too much. I prefer the way you split it with moderate cardio.

I usually do 20 minutes after lifting.

12.5 Degree Incline @ 3.5 MPH

It usually says that I burn 130cal in that time frame. Who knows if this is true, but I feel much better now ever since I’ve incorporated them in my workouts.

12.5 incline is huge…i dont even think my treadmill goes that high

as for holding on, usually i have a magazine or printout in my hand and I read while doing it, probably not as good as swinging my arms but better than mountain climbing the treadmill

[quote]biltritewave wrote:
12.5 incline is huge…i dont even think my treadmill goes that high

as for holding on, usually i have a magazine or printout in my hand and I read while doing it, probably not as good as swinging my arms but better than mountain climbing the treadmill[/quote]

I think the ones at my gym go up to 15 degree incline.

Side note: It’s funny because from a bystanders viewpoint it looks like you’re just walking, yet you’re dripping with sweat and breathing fairly heavily. lol

I like to start at like 5 or 6 and go up one every 2 min to 15 and then back down to 0. After 40+ minutes of that I'm sweatin to the oldies more than Richard Simmons ever did. lol.
      If I'm more burnt than usual I drop the incline every minute instead of two, once I reached the top.
     I like to run but have noticed that like you said earlier, it reads that I burn a considerably higher amount of calories if I do both for the same amount of time. So I do the hill climbs most of the time now, as they seem easier even though they really aren't once you get up there past like 10...If I run I go at speed of 5.5-6.5, and when walking 3.4-3.6
      my 2 cents,
             ToneBone