T Nation

Treadmill - A Plan of Attack!

Being a pretty experienced lifter in my early tewnties, i am very passionate about training and i simply love lifting weights, performing intensity techniques and increasing my strength levels.

However i need to lose some fat because i wanna look good again naked!
Now, i definitely do not want to compromise my weight training and therefore i want to minimize strength and size loss while losing the right amount of fat.

Having also spent time reading tnation and generally observing myself and how i react and talking to other ppl who share the same passion as i do, i have come to the conclusion that aerobic activity is something that we all should be cautious to. What i mean is, if we do not watch the amount and intensity of the aerobic activity we engage in, then bad things will happen in regards to strength and energy levels.

So that being said, i am thinking of incorporating an everyday 1hour session of walking on the treadmill.

The reason i posted this is to receive some feedback/advice on whether this technique is worth it or not. In other words should i go for it or try another way perhaps? Also, if i added one extra session on some days would it be too much? My goal is to lose 15kg’s/33lbs during the next 3-4 months.

[quote]guaglione wrote:
Being a pretty experienced lifter in my early tewnties, i am very passionate about training and i simply love lifting weights, performing intensity techniques and increasing my strength levels.

Now, i definitely do not want to compromise my weight training and therefore i want to minimize strength and size loss while losing the right amount of fat.

Having also spent time reading tnation and generally observing myself and how i react and talking to other ppl who share the same passion as i do, i have come to the conclusion that aerobic activity is something that we all should be cautious to. What i mean is, if we do not watch the amount and intensity of the aerobic activity we engage in, then bad things will happen in regards to strength and energy levels.

So that being said, i am thinking of incorporating an everyday 1hour session of walking on the treadmill.

The reason i posted this is to receive some feedback/advice on whether this technique is worth it or not. In other words should i go for it or try another way perhaps? Also, if i added one extra session on some days would it be too much? My goal is to lose 15kg’s/33lbs during the next 3-4 months.[/quote]

What are your stats? Height, weight, how often do you lift? What does you diet look like?

The reason I ask is that with 33lbs of weight to loose, you must either be at a really high body fat % or HUGE. IF you were 300lbs that would be over 10% of your body weight so it stands to reason that you are more likely pretty fat. If that is the case, diet is going to be more important in the success of your weight loss. 33lbs in 3-4 months is a rather ambitious weight loss. An hour a day of walking is not going to cut it for your goal.

[quote]BlakeAJackson wrote:
guaglione wrote:

However i need to lose some fat because i wanna look good again naked! Now, i definitely do not want to compromise my weight training and therefore i want to minimize strength and size loss while losing the right amount of fat.

Having also spent time reading tnation and generally observing myself and how i react and talking to other ppl who share the same passion as i do, i have come to the conclusion that aerobic activity is something that we all should be cautious to.

What i mean is, if we do not watch the amount and intensity of the aerobic activity we engage in, then bad things will happen in regards to strength and energy levels.

The reason i posted this is to receive some feedback/advice on whether this technique is worth it or not. In other words should i go for it or try another way perhaps? Also, if i added one extra session on some days would it be too much? My goal is to lose 15kg’s/33lbs during the next 3-4 months.

What are your stats? Height, weight, how often do you lift? What does you diet look like?

The reason I ask is that with 33lbs of weight to loose, you must either be at a really high body fat % or HUGE. IF you were 300lbs that would be over 10% of your body weight so it stands to reason that you are more likely pretty fat.

If that is the case, diet is going to be more important in the success of your weight loss. 33lbs in 3-4 months is a rather ambitious weight loss. An hour a day of walking is not going to cut it for your goal.
[/quote]

I’m about 6ft1 and i currently weigh 255-260lbs. The reason i mentioned being an experienced lifter was to basically avoid responses such as “diet is going to be more important” etc. Yeah, I KNOW diet is THE MOST IMPORTANT. I also know that aerobic activity is just another aspect to look after in the race of fat loss. I know perfectly well that just by walking at a fast pace one hour a day is just not gonna do it.

Aside from diet and training, which i am pretty confident about, i would like to incorporate an ideal type of aerobic activity that would solely fasten/contribute to my fat loss goals.

However to answer your question, my diet is EXTREMELY clean at the moment with the only sources of carbs being brown rice(500gr each day) and dextrose after training. Protein mostly from “clean” sources and fat from olive oil, mixed nuts and salmon.

My training program in a few words: Intense, low volume, high frequency. I incorporate techniques such as rest pause and dropsets(I often utilize both techniques on the same working set) and i always keep my workouts less than an hour.

Again, my thoughts regarding aeronic activity are as follows: I want to minimize possible adverse effects on my weight training and muscle mass. Thus, i think of following a low intensity, high frequency and duration activity, such as walking on a treadmill at a fast pace for an hour each day.

[quote]guaglione wrote:

I’m about 6ft1 and i currently weigh 255-260lbs. The reason i mentioned being an experienced lifter was to basically avoid responses such as “diet is going to be more important” etc.

Yeah, I KNOW diet is THE MOST IMPORTANT. I also know that aerobic activity is just another aspect to look after in the race of fat loss. I know perfectly well that just by walking at a fast pace one hour a day is just not gonna do it.

Aside from diet and training, which i am pretty confident about, i would like to incorporate an ideal type of aerobic activity that would solely fasten/contribute to my fat loss goals.

However to answer your question, my diet is EXTREMELY clean at the moment with the only sources of carbs being brown rice(500gr each day) and dextrose after training. Protein mostly from “clean” sources and fat from olive oil, mixed nuts and salmon.

My training program in a few words: Intense, low volume, high frequency. I incorporate techniques such as rest pause and dropsets(I often utilize both techniques on the same working set) and i always keep my workouts less than an hour.

Again, my thoughts regarding aeronic activity are as follows: I want to minimize possible adverse effects on my weight training and muscle mass. Thus, i think of following a low intensity, high frequency and duration activity, such as walking on a treadmill at a fast pace for an hour each day.

[/quote]

Sounds like you got it under control. Have you currently been loosing fat while eating clean? Is there any reason for your estimated weight loss of 30 lbs in 3-4 months? I guess that what you want to find out is not clear to me or anyone else as they are not replying.

Adding walking for an hour on a treadmill is not going to hurt anyone. Doing it everyday would help aid your weight loss. Most people live pretty low intensity lives and can afford 1hr of high intensity cardio, without worrying about the huge amount of muscle/strength loss. In order to become really lean no matter what you are doing you are going to have to sacrifice some strength.

I recently ran the velocity diet and was able to loose 16lbs in 3 weeks. I have never attempted weigh loss so this was more a psychological challenge than a desire to loose weight. I am currently bulking and am up to 217.

When I finish the V-Diet I was at 198 lbs and that was on 05/28. The v-diet may be a good choice for you since you fat loss goal are so extreme. I can tell you I did not loose any strength while on the diet, but I did not gain any either. Also I followed it to a T including all supplements bought from this site.

In closing I doubt that you need to worry about adverse effects of any type of cardio for 1 hr a day. Run, intervals, jump rope, walk, whatever.

For losing fat and maintaining strength. I like incline treadmill walking. I like to do a 11 or 12% incline and speed varies around 3.0 - 3.4

I use a heart rate monitor and keep my heart rate as close to 130 as possible. Once in a while I will mix it up and do a lower incline and higher speed or use the eliptical or stepper.

I started at 20 minutes after each of 4 weight training sessions. I’m now up to 30 minutes after each session. I would recommend you start at about the same and work your way up from there. Starting at 1 hour per day sounds like alot to me.

[quote]ACTrain wrote:
For losing fat and maintaining strength. I like incline treadmill walking. I like to do a 11 or 12% incline and speed varies around 3.0 - 3.4

I use a heart rate monitor and keep my heart rate as close to 130 as possible. Once in a while I will mix it up and do a lower incline and higher speed or use the eliptical or stepper.

I started at 20 minutes after each of 4 weight training sessions. I’m now up to 30 minutes after each session. I would recommend you start at about the same and work your way up from there. Starting at 1 hour per day sounds like alot to me.[/quote]

I’ve done a similar thing in the past, only at higher speed, but now i prefer to separate cardio and weight training.

I will start on a few days and we’ll see how it goes. I mught start with less than an hour, although 1hour at this pace and intensity seems harmless to me.

[quote]guaglione wrote:

Having also spent time reading tnation and generally observing myself and how i react and talking to other ppl who share the same passion as i do, i have come to the conclusion that aerobic activity is something that we all should be cautious to.

What i mean is, if we do not watch the amount and intensity of the aerobic activity we engage in, then bad things will happen in regards to strength and energy levels.

The reason i posted this is to receive some feedback/advice on whether this technique is worth it or not. In other words should i go for it or try another way perhaps? Also, if i added one extra session on some days would it be too much? My goal is to lose 15kg’s/33lbs during the next 3-4 months.[/quote]

1 hr in the morning is what I do when cutting. I’ve done up to 2 one hr sessions. As long as your BPM is below 120 you should be fine.