T Nation

Travis Mash in the Olympics?

Anybody know what this guy is up to at the moment? Does he (or did he ever) have a legit shot at making the 08 Olympics for weightlifting? What about the 2010 olympics for bobsledding?

weightlifting, no.

As it stands, the US Men’s side does not get to send any representatives to the Olympics (as far as I know). They do get to send some female competitors though (4 I think). There are still some wild card spots, so a few American men are hoping to get those.

[quote]psychoshonen wrote:
As it stands, the US Men’s side does not get to send any representatives to the Olympics (as far as I know). [/quote]

can you explain this please? not true at all

USOC Statement About Men’s 2008 Olympic Slots
Dec 20, 2007

On Wednesday December 19, 2007, USA Weightlifting received final confirmation from the IWF that, due to adjustments in ranking as a result of other countries’ doping violations from the 2007 World Championships, the United States has been awarded no men�??s slots for the 2008 Olympic Games. As a result, USA Weightlifting will look to send a full Men�??s Team to the Pan Am Championships is Peru this March in attempts to regain 2 quota places.

Due to the timeframe of the Pan Am Championships and the National Championships (Olympic Games secondary qualifier), USA Weightlifting has requested that the USOC amend the approved 2008 Olympic Selection Procedures. Pending approval from the United States Olympic Committee, athletes who lifted in the Pan Am Championships would be permitted to utilize their totals at the Pan Am Championships and would therefore not be required to compete in the National Championships.

Kelley B. Fisher
Coordinator, Sport Partnerships
United States Olympic Committee

I believe it was something to the effect that he had broke his back white water rafting last year and has basically been rehabbing it up until he stopped updating his log on EliteFTS.

even if the men did have slots for the Olympics, Travis Mash wouldn’t even have a chance at getting on the team.

If we get two spots from the Pan Am Games, then we will probably send Casey Burgener and either Chad Vaughn or Kendrick Farris. We send the people who have the best chance at winning a medal. Sadly, for any of them, somewhere around 10 people have to bomb out for any of them to win.

[quote]romanaz wrote:
even if the men did have slots for the Olympics, Travis Mash wouldn’t even have a chance at getting on the team.

[/quote]

What were his OL numbers?

[quote]lavi wrote:
romanaz wrote:
even if the men did have slots for the Olympics, Travis Mash wouldn’t even have a chance at getting on the team.

What were his OL numbers?[/quote]

can’t say for sure b/c I don’t follow him, but I don’t see him on the rankings for 2006 or 2007 on the USAW site. He would be in the 105+ category I assume (231lbs + ) and for that he would need to beat out Casey which would mean 185kg snatch and 225+ clean and jerk and I don’t see Travis doing that.

video of him training… snatching in the low 300’s and jerking in the mid/high 300’s. he needs to be snatching the low 400’s and jerking over 500

thanks, i didnt know that

[quote]ninearms wrote:
USOC Statement About Men’s 2008 Olympic Slots
Dec 20, 2007

On Wednesday December 19, 2007, USA Weightlifting received final confirmation from the IWF that, due to adjustments in ranking as a result of other countries’ doping violations from the 2007 World Championships, the United States has been awarded no men�??s slots for the 2008 Olympic Games. As a result, USA Weightlifting will look to send a full Men�??s Team to the Pan Am Championships is Peru this March in attempts to regain 2 quota places.

Due to the timeframe of the Pan Am Championships and the National Championships (Olympic Games secondary qualifier), USA Weightlifting has requested that the USOC amend the approved 2008 Olympic Selection Procedures. Pending approval from the United States Olympic Committee, athletes who lifted in the Pan Am Championships would be permitted to utilize their totals at the Pan Am Championships and would therefore not be required to compete in the National Championships.

Kelley B. Fisher
Coordinator, Sport Partnerships
United States Olympic Committee[/quote]

[quote]romanaz wrote:
Sadly, for any of them, somewhere around 10 people have to bomb out for any of them to win.

[/quote]

Ain’t it the truth. It shocking how much of a gap there is between the top men’s 105+ in the US as opposed to the medal contenders at the Olympics for the men’s 105+. A 496 C&J would make for one bad motherfucker at the our Nationals. The Olympian 105+ men OPEN in the mid 500s nowadays.

I think it’s funny that anybody could ever possibly see Travis as being a real contender for an olympic spot. I very much doubt he’d even place at national level in the US. Maybe trying to revolutionalize the whole training system with bands and chains isn’t a good idea. But hmmm… that couldnt be the case. They were send down from the heavens to make men strong!!!

romanaz - thanks for the info. Yeah, seems like he has a ways to go. From the vid it seems like maybe his flexibility is part of the issue? All of his movements look like “power” movements (not all the way down) to me. I am not exactly an OL pro though…

Hanley - I would think that at the very least, bands and chains might be useful on the assistance exercises - i.e. squats, front squats, clean/snatch pulls, etc. They would help emphasis the “2nd pull”(?) hip thrust a lot more at the end of the movements which is the focus of the snatch, the clean, and the jerk. It seems like chains/bands would at least be worth a serious try. (Again, I am not exactly an OL pro…)

[quote]lavi wrote:
romanaz - thanks for the info. Yeah, seems like he has a ways to go. From the vid it seems like maybe his flexibility is part of the issue? All of his movements look like “power” movements (not all the way down) to me. I am not exactly an OL pro though…

Hanley - I would think that at the very least, bands and chains might be useful on the assistance exercises - i.e. squats, front squats, clean/snatch pulls, etc. They would help emphasis the “2nd pull”(?) hip thrust a lot more at the end of the movements which is the focus of the snatch, the clean, and the jerk. It seems like chains/bands would at least be worth a serious try. (Again, I am not exactly an OL pro…)[/quote]

The pull for 90% of OLifter is easy off the floor. The % is quite a bit lower then their much heavier pulls. Generally OLifters will pull 110-115% of maybe 120% of their max Lifts due to the speed break down. At these weights they generally don’t have issues pulling off the floor. Their first pull will not be an issue, so they can load up ont he 2nd pull with it effecting their first pull.

It is a new and different idea and all credit for him for trying something different. Maybe it takes another guy to try it out and make it work?

Remember before the ‘squat’ versions of the lift people did the SPLIT versions of the lifts!

To rank Nationally is no mean feat and to medal is very hard.

Koing

I remember Louie Simmons saying that if he trained oly lifters, he’d turn them into WR holders. I’d like him to train Travis and see what happens. Let’s see how good chains and bands can be for oly lifts.

I have a lot of respect for Travis Mash, he’s a stong lad, and I don’t want to be the naysayer, but I can’t think he should be considered weightlifter of Olympic caliber.

First, don’t bands and chains change the bar path while doing the lift? At least, they change the motor patterns needed for executing and stabilizing. In powerlifting technique is important, but I think not as much, as in weightlifting. Because of that, I don’t think his methods will be more beneficial than the standard methods.

I also think that Louie Simmons could be great in assistance training for weightlifters, but I can’t see how he could manage to do the whole work, starting with 13-14 years old boy, teaching him the bread and butter of the sport.

And a little BALBO-style patriot-inspired addition:
Imagine Louie in that:
http://weightliftingexchange.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=75&Itemid=75

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
I remember Louie Simmons saying that if he trained oly lifters, he’d turn them into WR holders. I’d like him to train Travis and see what happens. Let’s see how good chains and bands can be for oly lifts.[/quote]

I can see chains and bands good for the squats and pulls, but not for the full lifts. Snatching against bands just looks wrong and dangerous. Good idea, but needs refinement.

It does look incredibly badass, though.

[quote]romanaz wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
I remember Louie Simmons saying that if he trained oly lifters, he’d turn them into WR holders. I’d like him to train Travis and see what happens. Let’s see how good chains and bands can be for oly lifts.

I can see chains and bands good for the squats and pulls, but not for the full lifts. Snatching against bands just looks wrong and dangerous. Good idea, but needs refinement. [/quote]

Exactly. As much as I admire Louie, I think saying that is an incredibly arrogant thing to say. Maybe he has some grand plan as to how to refine training and make it more effective, but there’s really a hell of a lot less scope for ME lifts and cycles within Oly lifting than there is powerlifting.

The majority of misses that I’ve seen occur is because the bar is out of position when a snatch is caught or a jerk is driven upwards. It doesn’t seem to be an issue of not being able to pull or push the bar high enough. I don’t see how bands and chains will solve that problem. Maybe someone can explain…?

[quote]Hanley wrote:

Exactly. As much as I admire Louie, I think saying that is an incredibly arrogant thing to say. Maybe he has some grand plan as to how to refine training and make it more effective, but there’s really a hell of a lot less scope for ME lifts and cycles within Oly lifting than there is powerlifting.

The majority of misses that I’ve seen occur is because the bar is out of position when a snatch is caught or a jerk is driven upwards. It doesn’t seem to be an issue of not being able to pull or push the bar high enough. I don’t see how bands and chains will solve that problem. Maybe someone can explain…?[/quote]

Fully agree. I think I have mentioned to you that we are currently training a kid who placed nationally in OL at the HS level. I showed him those videos and his comment was the guy is clearly bull strong but in a competition with limit weight lack of refinement will be a hindrance rather than a help.

In other words he would likely get beaten by a person with a lower level of base strength but better technique.