Travelling Across America NY-LA

Ok so near the end of summer I’ll have a lot of time (and money mwahaha) and I’m going to go backpacking. I;ve been in mainland china and the rest for almost 5 years so i figured i’ll either do one of two things;

1 - fly to athens and backpack north (I get to find out about the culture I come - UK born greek here)

or

2 - fly to ny then travel west until i get to sea or shamu - whichever comes first.
I’ve never been to America and think it would be great to see Rand’s skyscrapers - but also i really like the idea of travelling across a continent

ok so my questions are;

in america (i’m pretty sure you’re all americans) do you have something similar to a railpass, ie buy a golden ticket in ny and use that continuously?

is it relatively safe? or will my dismembered body be found strewn across corn fields (*knock on wood)

has anyone done anything like this and do they recommend it?

I dont want to drive because its too much hassel (from my point of view) so I might also use the greyhound coach system but does that mean I’ll be scrunched up behind old women with IBS or chronic wankers?

I know I can get all this info from a guidebook but I’m really interested in the subjective answers and experiences. Any advice would be great thanks.

[quote]steelicarus wrote:
Ok so near the end of summer I’ll have a lot of time (and money mwahaha) and I’m going to go backpacking. I;ve been in mainland china and the rest for almost 5 years so i figured i’ll either do one of two things;

1 - fly to athens and backpack north (I get to find out about the culture I come - UK born greek here)

or

2 - fly to ny then travel west until i get to sea or shamu - whichever comes first.
I’ve never been to America and think it would be great to see Rand’s skyscrapers - but also i really like the idea of travelling across a continent

ok so my questions are;

in america (i’m pretty sure you’re all americans) do you have something similar to a railpass, ie buy a golden ticket in ny and use that continuously?

is it relatively safe? or will my dismembered body be found strewn across corn fields (*knock on wood)

I dont want to drive because its too much hassel (from my point of view) so I might also use the greyhound coach system but does that mean I’ll be scrunched up behind old women with IBS or chronic wankers?

I know I can get all this info from a guidebook but I’m really interested in the subjective answers and experiences. Any advice would be great thanks.

[/quote]

Your better off doing the Athens trip.

Americans will rob, beat, and sodomize you…unless that’s what you’re in to…lol

would it be women who would rob and…nah never mind

or

ok so my questions are;

[/quote]

Either idea sounds like a good time to me. And you’re just as likely to find misfortune in either trip. To answer your questions to the best of my knowledge, no we do not have a golden ticket. We have Amtrak, and some other passenger trains, but I don’t think that would be exactly what you are looking for, especially if you want to experience many different things.

Bottom line is that because we are so spread out as a country, and due to our historically highly prized “rugged individuality” the public transit system is not very well developed for cross-country travel by a backpacker. It’s geared mostly to get from A to B quickly. But it does have its advantages.

In my experience it is relatively safe. Just common sense, and avoid areas that look especially suspect late at night. It really depends. There is a lot to see here that I think we take for granted because we live here.

or

ok so my questions are;

[/quote]

I am not aware of anything like this.

You will end up in a dumpster, not a corn field.

Actually it is very safe as long as you are not stupid.

Greyhound sucks donkey dick. Amtrack is better but it does not go to all the interesting places.

Rent a car and drive the US. I know lots of people that have done it and they loved it.

Europe starting in Athens sounds great too.

thanks guys - i’l post photos of me with scantily clad greek women or scantily clad paris hilton :stuck_out_tongue: really appreciate the advice!

The last time I checked on traveling by rail, Airline prices were far better than Rail.