T Nation

Traveling to South Korea

Within the next couple of weeks I’ll be going to South Korea for almost three months. Just wondering if there are any T-Nationers that have travelled or are in South Korea. I’ll be in Seoul metropolitan area – looking for any tips or advice that you think may be useful, must-see places, etc.

I really appreciate any help.

[quote]Kritikos wrote:
Within the next couple of weeks I’ll be going to South Korea for almost three months. Just wondering if there are any T-Nationers that have travelled or are in South Korea. I’ll be in Seoul metropolitan area – looking for any tips or advice that you think may be useful, must-see places, etc.

I really appreciate any help.[/quote]

Hey. I lived in Korea for two and a half years. Meeting other foreigners is pretty easy, although you may have to distinguish ‘foreigner’ from ‘GIs’. Unless you’re in the army, then disregard that. Ok, so, must sees/dos: USO DMZ tour, Kyongbukgung palace, Insadong (arty area of Seoul), Busan and Jeju island if you’re traveling. Mountains are ubiquitous yet homogeneous, but a nice change from the city.

As far as nightlife goes, Itaewon has tons of foreigners, is seedy and tons of fun. Hongdae and Sinchon are cool, as is Apjujong if you got the cash. If you make it down to Suwon stop by the NOW bar in Youngtongdong and give Ms. C a big hug for me.

Oh, and get a phrase book. Or a Korean girl. Which is better. I miss them…sigh.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions.

If you have the time, you may want to visit “Lottoworld” Its sort of like an “underground” amusment park/ mall w/ an ice skating rink on the bottom floor. I took a subway train directly to the front gate so its easy to find.I was there about 9 yrs ago so i’m sure the climate is more tense now so enjoy S.Korea while you can…GOOD LUCK!

Go to travel.state.gov

Click on Consular Information sheets on the bottom left of the home page. Then click on Korea. Has some good information.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Surprisingly, I’m not a member of the Armed Forces, nor am I going to be teaching English in South Korea. I know that those are the two main reasons for going. I’m doing an independent research project on immigrants and the law.

I’ve hit up the U.S. State Department website, bought a Lonely Planet travel guide for Korea, and done some more research online.

I’ll be living with a Korean family, so a lot of the reading I’ve done on Korea involves the Do’s and Dont’s while over there. I guess any more input on that or anything else would be great. Thanks again.

[quote]Kritikos wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Surprisingly, I’m not a member of the Armed Forces, nor am I going to be teaching English in South Korea. I know that those are the two main reasons for going. I’m doing an independent research project on immigrants and the law.

I’ve hit up the U.S. State Department website, bought a Lonely Planet travel guide for Korea, and done some more research online.

I’ll be living with a Korean family, so a lot of the reading I’ve done on Korea involves the Do’s and Dont’s while over there. I guess any more input on that or anything else would be great. Thanks again.[/quote]

Just a little tip:

If a cabby approaches you and asks you if you’re looking to go somewhere fun, say, “no thank you.”

Unless of course you’re looking for a brothel.

You’re going to have a good time out there.

Have fun!

[quote]FFB4Life wrote:

Just a little tip:

If a cabby approaches you and asks you if you’re looking to go somewhere fun, say, “no thank you.”

Have fun!

[/quote]

Haha, thanks for the advice. I think I’m going to skip the whoring. Something about being young and paying for sex; I guess we’ll have to see what fate has in store for me :slight_smile:

[quote]Kritikos wrote:
FFB4Life wrote:

Just a little tip:

Have fun!

Haha, thanks for the advice. I think I’m going to skip the whoring. Something about being young and paying for sex; I guess we’ll have to see what fate has in store for me :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Itaewon. Hooker Hill. Dirty, but its there, FYI. If you’re not up for whores, there’s a wicked eggburger stand at the bottom.

Regarding dos and don’ts in korea…don’t get too hung up on it. As a ‘waygook’ you get a little leeway, although not enough to be a total ass. If its only 3 months you’ll be there then I wouldn’t expect you to get too worked up over ‘home vs. Korea’, which usually sets in around the 6 month mark. They do things differently there, not wrong, different. Just have an open mind about things, be patient, and use your imagination. Good luck.