T Nation

Traps Question

I have a specific question about the training of the traps. If you plan to train the traps in conjunction with other muscle groups on a given day (as opposed to, say, Christian Thibaudeau’s trap concentration day program), should they be trained with the back or the shoulders?

For the upper body part of my routine, I do chest, tri’s, and shoulders one day and back and bi’s another. To prevent overtraining of the traps (hitting them on all of the upper body days from back and shoulder movements), I would just like to know when it would be best to train them. Thanks in advance for replies.

[quote]tblifter wrote:
I have a specific question about the training of the traps. If you plan to train the traps in conjunction with other muscle groups on a given day (as opposed to, say, Christian Thibaudeau’s trap concentration day program), should they be trained with the back or the shoulders?

For the upper body part of my routine, I do chest, tri’s, and shoulders one day and back and bi’s another. To prevent overtraining of the traps (hitting them on all of the upper body days from back and shoulder movements), I would just like to know when it would be best to train them. Thanks in advance for replies. [/quote]

First, I think you are making a mistake by training your chest, triceps AND shoulders all in one day. I remember doing that as a beginner and, truthfully, unless you just stepped into a weightroom a few months ago, I am not convinced that you are able to produce maximum intensity during a training session with that many body parts thrown in. What will generally happen is you hold back on some exercises simply because you have more body parts to train.

If you truly are someone new to lifting, then don’t worry about changing that up right now. That means if you are new, with your current split like that (with what I assume would leave you only training 3 days a week…otherwise I don’t understand your approach) then train traps with back.

I train traps with shoulders (or at least I usually do). They respond well for me and it gives me a break in between training front delts and lateral delts. My back training is filled enough as it is without me adding body parts. As far as your concern about overlap, your traps shouldn’t be coming into play that much during other shoulder movements, and while it does come into play during some back movements, your traps are designed to take more stress than other body parts.

I try and train them with back, this generally feels the best, although at times i have mixed it up with shoulders, especially after a killer deads session :wink:

If you want to work the traps, try SNATCH and deads. I find SNATCH works the traps better than isolation exercises.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459939

[quote]StrongMan wrote:
If you want to work the traps, try SNATCH and deads. I find SNATCH works the traps better than isolation exercises.

[/quote]

I personally have found better results from shrugs and even including static holds with the heaviest weight possible for up to 30 seconds for the last “set”.

I train horizontal chest and horizontal back together, and then three days later vertical chest and vertical back together.

Traps fall into the category of vertical back and shoulders fall into the category of vertical chest. Thereby doing traps on “shoulder” day.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I personally have found better results from shrugs and even including static holds with the heaviest weight possible for up to 30 seconds for the last “set”.[/quote]

I hadn’t even thought of that…thanks for the tip.

Learn to power snatch and do rack pulls and you WILL build traps. Along with a lot of other cool things.

Nothing makes my traps pop up like heavy bent over rows-with a lil heave. I do thses on deadlift day-ie ME lower body day.

deadlift and cleans

a properly executed clean requires a HUGE shrug with the traps in order to keep the bar moving before the catch.

When I was working on this specifically, my traps were so damn sore that I couldn’t move my neck or arms too much, but then after about 3 weeks they started to come in A LOT more full than they were.