Traps - I Really Need Some Help

Personally I found that Rack Pulls, Haney Shrugs and heavy barbell shrugs (heavy for me 405) have created a good deal of improvement for ME, not saying my traps are HUGE or that they will work for you I can only say that I have seen some improvement by rotating these exercises along with heavy db shrugs. I also found that upright rows with a narrow grip seem to hit my traps more.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
UAphenix wrote:

I dont understand what’s so bad about quoting someone like Dante, plus what’s so hard to understand about the quote that was posted? The reason it makes sense to do deadlifts to get bigger traps is because you can overload the muscle.

What? Gee, I can “overload the muscle” just fine with shrugs. Why would I work INDIRECTLY to train traps when I can train them DIRECTLY? No one is saying don’t do deadlifts…but why would ANYONE do deadlifts strictly for traps? That doesn’t even make sense. That makes just as much sense as the idiots telling everyone to do chin ups for all of their biceps work. The rest was explained by Bone.

That being said, i find there are more then one way to skin a cat, when it comes to traps what has worked for me has been deadlifts, rack pulls, shrugs and when i did them hang cleans (but i took the cleans out long ago due to chance of injury)

Great, let’s see a pic of those big traps!

[/quote]

You don’t do deadlifts strictly for traps but its a good exercise to do that will develop the traps along with a ton of other muscles. Where did I say to do deadlifts strictly for traps? I already explained how the traps work during the deadlift. The whole overloading thing is because i can rack pull close to 200 lbs more than shrug…i bet 200 extra lbs of tension on my traps will hit them harder then what i would get from shrugging. But then it comes back to each exercise has its place, i already have DL in my routine so I dont want to do rack pulls as well because it will compromise recover so I choose to do shrugs…

What’s with everyone bringing up this chins for bis crap? Also, where did i say i have BIG TRAPS. My traps development is right there with all of my other body parts. I dont need to take pictures of myself to prove i know how to train. Plus its kinda coming off like you got a trap fetish…just saying.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
UAphenix wrote:

I dont understand what’s so bad about quoting someone like Dante, plus what’s so hard to understand about the quote that was posted? The reason it makes sense to do deadlifts to get bigger traps is because you can overload the muscle. Saying not to do deadift and rack pull variants is like saying dont do close grip bench for tris because it works your delts and chest to a degree and totally forget about doing squats for quad development because those pesky hamstrings and glutes take some of the load. Instead of bitching at ppl and wanting to be the top dog why not actually give some of you own advice.

That being said, i find there are more then one way to skin a cat, when it comes to traps what has worked for me has been deadlifts, rack pulls, shrugs and when i did them hang cleans (but i took the cleans out long ago due to chance of injury)

Deadlifts and rack pulls work the muscle when its statically keeping the back tight.
Shrugs and cleans work the muscle dynamically.
A lot of ppl say they saw the best development when they were doing deadlifts or rack pulls with a shrug at the top, this seems like a great option because you are isometrically working the muscle at first then you’re preforming an isotonic contraction on the muscle when you shrug.

Let me see if I can explain their point in a way you can understand:

I weigh 40lbs more than you, and could split clean & press you over my head. I’m pretty sure I could shrug your body weight with one arm.

Should I really listen to your advice on getting swole, without pictures of you looking like mightystu, bonez, or that bitwell(sp) guy, when you weigh less than my warmup weights on deadlifts?
[/quote]

Ummm, ok. So I weigh 40 lbs less then you and you weigh less then my warm up weights on deadlifts…and i know for a fact i could shrug your body weight with one arm…great a pissing contest…

I know shrugs work because I built really large fucking traps from them and they get talked about regularly. I don’t see the same on those claiming everyone should do cleans for big traps.

This is a bodybuilding forum afterall. I want to SEE what works if it supposedly works so well.

Lets see your traps then…

[quote]UAphenix wrote:

You don’t do deadlifts strictly for traps but its a good exercise to do that will…blah blah blah[/quote]

No, you can stop right there. No one has written that people should stop doing deadlifts. This discussion is about what builds traps the best and we get tons of little guys telling us that we should be focusing on deadlifts…when they don’t have huge traps…and when shrugs hit that muscle group directly. If you want to deadlifts for your traps, do them. Just don’t pretend like your own have gotten big enough for you to act like this is somehow the best fucking exercise for them…which is what we are discussing.

[quote]
Where did I say to do deadlifts strictly for traps? I already explained how the traps work during the deadlift. The whole overloading thing is because i can rack pull close to 200 lbs more than shrug.[/quote]

Have you considered that this is because other muscles besides your traps are helping out with this?

[quote]
…i bet 200 extra lbs of tension on my traps will hit them harder then what i would get from shrugging. [/quote]

Gee, yeah it would if your traps were actually SHRUGGING ALL OF THAT WEIGHT AND CARRYING ALL OF THE LOAD.

Trap fetish? Because I want people who haven’t been very successful at this to stop doling out advice when others ask what works best?

[quote]Charged wrote:
I know shrugs work because I built really large fucking traps from them and they get talked about regularly. I don’t see the same on those claiming everyone should do cleans for big traps.

This is a bodybuilding forum afterall. I want to SEE what works if it supposedly works so well.

Lets see your traps then…[/quote]

My pic has been posted too many times to count. Let’s see your own now.

i would if i was a bodybuilder and no a basketball player and had a webcam, nice traps though.

Every time someone asks for help building traps and I see others telling him to do rack pulls and deadlifts (“because Dante says you NEVER see anyone pulling 700+ lbs with small traps!”) I’m reminded of a thread I read a little while back on IM, where Dante asks the forumites to, without over thinking it (stresses this point), and giving the first answer that pops into their head … tell him what the #1 exercise would be for building the biggest traps possible while limiting the muscle mass gained elsewhere.

Of course, everyone chimed in with “rack pulls” and “deadlifts!”

You know, because Dante says so.

Dante ended up saying that most people screaming over rack pulls and deadlifts were most likely only giving him the answer they THOUGHT he was looking for, as opposed to actually understanding what was being asked of them.

His answer was shrugs, of course.

…this just pops into my head every so often.

[quote]UAphenix wrote:
great a pissing contest…
[/quote]

Never mind dude, you missed my point. Which doesn’t really shock me.

This thread has turned into “which is the best exercise for traps” rather than trying to help the OP out. The OP has already stated that he’s been doing shrugs for years and his traps still aren’t growing, maybe it’s time for a change. Why are so many people knocking rack pulls and cleans? Some are comparing cleans for traps to chins for biceps. What about dips and CGBP for triceps? Several of you guys on here have stated that dips and CGBP add the most mass to the triceps. Isn’t that contradictory to the advice currently being given in this thread?

And yea some of you may have bigger traps than i do but i guarantee it’s because you have atleast 50 lbs on me, and it’s not because i choose to do rack pulls over shrugs for my traps. My traps aren’t huge compared to some guys on here but i’m pretty sure in comparison to body size, my traps stand out more than alot of you guys. The more weight i gain the bigger my traps will get.

UAphenix wrote:

You don’t do deadlifts strictly for traps but its a good exercise to do that will…blah blah blah

No, you can stop right there. No one has written that people should stop doing deadlifts. This discussion is about what builds traps the best and we get tons of little guys telling us that we should be focusing on deadlifts…when they don’t have huge traps…and when shrugs hit that muscle group directly. If you want to deadlifts for your traps, do them. Just don’t pretend like your own have gotten big enough for you to act like this is somehow the best fucking exercise for them…which is what we are discussing.

Where did I say to do deadlifts strictly for traps? I already explained how the traps work during the deadlift. The whole overloading thing is because i can rack pull close to 200 lbs more than shrug.

Have you considered that this is because other muscles besides your traps are helping out with this?

…i bet 200 extra lbs of tension on my traps will hit them harder then what i would get from shrugging.

Gee, yeah it would if your traps were actually SHRUGGING ALL OF THAT WEIGHT AND CARRYING ALL OF THE LOAD.

What’s with everyone bringing up this chins for bis crap? Also, where did i say i have BIG TRAPS. My traps development is right there with all of my other body parts. I dont need to take pictures of myself to prove i know how to train. Plus its kinda coming off like you got a trap fetish…just saying.

Trap fetish? Because I want people who haven’t been very successful at this to stop doling out advice when others ask what works best? [/quote]

I know other muscles besides my traps are moving the weight hence the overloading. At the lockout of a rackpull or deadlift look at the chain, hands holding onto the bar…attached to arms…to shoulders…to traps…if your dont feel your traps working at the top, i dont know what you’re doing. Oh wait you dont pull so i’ll just stop there…

[quote]angus_beef wrote:
This thread has turned into “which is the best exercise for traps” rather than trying to help the OP out. The OP has already stated that he’s been doing shrugs for years and his traps still aren’t growing, maybe it’s time for a change. Why are so many people knocking rack pulls and cleans? Some are comparing cleans for traps to chins for biceps. What about dips and CGBP for triceps? Several of you guys on here have stated that dips and CGBP add the most mass to the triceps. Isn’t that contradictory to the advice currently being given in this thread?

And yea some of you may have bigger traps than i do but i guarantee it’s because you have atleast 50 lbs on me, and it’s not because i choose to do rack pulls over shrugs for my traps. My traps aren’t huge compared to some guys on here but i’m pretty sure in comparison to body size, my traps stand out more than alot of you guys. The more weight i gain the bigger my traps will get.[/quote]

Go back to the first page, slow one. No one can give this guy decent advice until it is understood that he knows he can;t remain at or near the same body weight and expect his traps to grow significantly. I wrote this already.

[quote]angus_beef wrote:
This thread has turned into “which is the best exercise for traps” rather than trying to help the OP out. The OP has already stated that he’s been doing shrugs for years and his traps still aren’t growing, maybe it’s time for a change.[/quote]

No offense to the OP, but after 22 years of training he is weighing in at 195 at 6’2".

Besides that fact, I would like to hear how much he is shrugging in the first place - with a BB, not DBs - before telling him to look elsewhere for bigger traps.

[quote]anonym wrote:
Every time someone asks for help building traps and I see others telling him to do rack pulls and deadlifts (“because Dante says you NEVER see anyone pulling 700+ lbs with small traps!”) I’m reminded of a thread I read a little while back on IM, where Dante asks the forumites to, without over thinking it (stresses this point), and giving the first answer that pops into their head … tell him what the #1 exercise would be for building the biggest traps possible while limiting the muscle mass gained elsewhere.

Of course, everyone chimed in with “rack pulls” and “deadlifts!”

You know, because Dante says so.

Dante ended up saying that most people screaming over rack pulls and deadlifts were most likely only giving him the answer they THOUGHT he was looking for, as opposed to actually understanding what was being asked of them.

His answer to the question was shrugs, of course.

…this just pops into my head every so often.[/quote]

Yeah, I read that thread, too, and even had it mind throughout this thread.

[quote]Charged wrote:
Also if your on steroids, who gives a fuck, really? your advice is in-valid.[/quote]

Are you this dumb in real life, or are you trolling?

[quote]Charged wrote:
who the fuck is dante?[/quote]

creator of DC training?

The quote posted by kyle where D talks about rack pulls to bring the traps up… Guess what, that was meant for people on the 2-way variant of DC.

In that particular split, you don’t get a “trap” slot, just “backthickness”, a necessary compromise in order to keep the overall frequency high but also allow for enough off-days to be able to use Rest-Pause on so many exercises.

Sacrificing a backthickness slot for an exercise that only works the traps (and forearms) is not a good idea. Hence Dante talking about deads, rack pulls etc.

Guys on the 3-way or other variants could just throw a shrug widowmaker in on back day if they still had weak traps.

Incidentally, I do remember some post of Dante where he talks about shrugs as the fastest way to get big traps, and traps alone (i.e., shrug 600 for reps or something like that). They just don’t fit into the 2-way.

Traps are one of my faster-growing bodyparts… But even so I had the problem that they just didn’t look as impressive when I stood relaxed (and without messing up my posture on purpose) or with squared shoulders. Especially compared to the trap/shoulder-areas of assisted lifters. Most assisted bodybuilders I’ve seen in person (the big ones, not the local moron who uses every drug there is but still looks half as big as everyone else) look practically just as impressive when standing totally relaxed as they do when flexing…

It did take direct work in the form of shrugs to remedy that issue (well, I still don’t have traps like Ronnie or Jonnie or every other big black guy with a name ending on -ie, but now they really stand out even when relaxed)…
And adding direct work doesn’t mean “ok, I’ll try shrugs for 2-3 weeks and if my traps don’t look huge after that, I’ll go back to powercleans”.
It means working your way from 135x10 to 225, 315, 495, 585 (depending on the individual)…

angus_beef wrote:

And yea some of you may have bigger traps than i do but i guarantee it’s because you have atleast 50 lbs on me, and it’s not because i choose to do rack pulls over shrugs for my traps. My traps aren’t huge compared to some guys on here but i’m pretty sure in comparison to body size, my traps stand out more than alot of you guys. The more weight i gain the bigger my traps will get.

Go back to the first page, slow one. No one can give this guy decent advice until it is understood that he knows he can;t remain at or near the same body weight and expect his traps to grow significantly. I wrote this already.[/quote]

Yes you did but shortly after everyone is like shrugs,…no!, rack pulls…no!, deadlifts…no!, cleans.

OP throw on some damn straps because your forearms are probably weak if you can’t hold DBs heavy enough to overload your traps. Unless your gym has 200lb DBs i dont see why you can’t hold on to it.

[photo]24057[/photo]

My pic has been posted too many times to count. Let’s see your own now.[/quote]

Is that a more recent one than the last one I’ve seen? You look somewhat leaner there, but the lighting is better, too. And of course, like clockwork, your shoulders look EVEN BIGGER.

You should really stop training them now, you know, before all that mass and density collapses into a black hole :slight_smile:

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Professor X wrote:

[photo]24057[/photo]

And of course, like clockwork, your shoulders look EVEN BIGGER.

[/quote]
I know right, forget those traps, let me get those DELTS.