T Nation

Trap/Hex Bar Applicability to PLing?

I’m in a position to get a trap bar for $90. I imagine it’s not the greatest of quality, but the price is nice. Just curious though if there’s any real applicability of the trap bar towards powerlifting training. I imagine it could help develop my leg drive on the deadlift, and strengthen the legs in general, but I’m curious if anyone has experienced success in utilizing this bar in their training.

Any sort of post is helpful. Science, history, anecdotal evidence, etc etc is all appreciated.

I don’t have any evidence or extended experience, but I don’t see how adding another tool would hurt you in any way.

I’ve heard that there is little carryover to the conventional deadlift

BUT - I would get it in a heartbeat. For shrugs and to simulate farmers

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

BUT - I would get it in a heartbeat. For shrugs and to simulate farmers[/quote]

I’m not sure I agree with that first statement. There may not be a good correlation between the two (i.e. if you can Trap Bar DL X, you can Conventional DL Y), but I can’t immagine that there isn’t any carryover.

But, I agree with the second part. I’d get it, and find a use. Malonetd said it best.

[quote]Modi wrote:
KBCThird wrote:

BUT - I would get it in a heartbeat. For shrugs and to simulate farmers

I’m not sure I agree with that first statement. There may not be a good correlation between the two (i.e. if you can Trap Bar DL X, you can Conventional DL Y), but I can’t immagine that there isn’t any carryover.

But, I agree with the second part. I’d get it, and find a use. Malonetd said it best.[/quote]

There is some carryover, but it ain’t much. I can probably pull 80-100 lb more with a trap bar than I can conventional. And I can put 50 lb on my trap bar dead and my conventional pull won’t budge. I love the trap bar for training athletes though.

I personally like them a lot. Probably not any specific carry-over to regular DL, but hey, it’ll help make you stronger, so there’s nothing wrong with using it IMO.

Does the bar have the raised handles? If so deading with it would be almost pointless compared to a straight bar. Still its another thing to utilize and experiment with grab it up. Just dont come on here calling a hyooggeee dead then post a vid of you standing in it lol

I love my trap bar and use it whenever my lower back feels subpar. I also can use more weight with it vs. conventional but sometimes it’s just a nice break from the usual grind.

Thanks folks. Grabbed the bar, two 45lb plates and 2 clamps for $145 at Play it Again sports. They’ll all be great additions to my steadily growing home gym.

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
Does the bar have the raised handles? If so deading with it would be almost pointless compared to a straight bar. Still its another thing to utilize and experiment with grab it up. Just dont come on here calling a hyooggeee dead then post a vid of you standing in it lol[/quote]

I imagine standing on a box would help with the elevated handles?

I dont have a trap bar but I have farmers walk implements-the idea is the same.

From personal experience,I can say that there is very little carryover from the trap over to the straight bar version.

I can do almost 100lb less on the straight bar…

the trap bar can help you with some upper back work…great for powershrugs and one of its best uses is as a grip/upper back element in that you can just load it up with usually more than you can pull and just hold for a few seconds…but mostly i use it for what it says…traps and rear delts…also a good tool for younger/less experienced lifters with deadlift form

[quote]IronAbrams wrote:
Pipes06 wrote:
Does the bar have the raised handles? If so deading with it would be almost pointless compared to a straight bar. Still its another thing to utilize and experiment with grab it up. Just dont come on here calling a hyooggeee dead then post a vid of you standing in it lol

I imagine standing on a box would help with the elevated handles?[/quote]

Trap-bars with the raised handles can just be flipped over (handles down) and used just like a regular Trapbar.

I got one a couple of months ago and I love it. I was going to use it for two months then go back to conventional for a while, but I’ve decided to do at least one more month. What I really like about it is it really hits my lower and mid traps. When I do regular DLs I never feel anything in my back or shoulders. It’s all legs.

I’m the opposite of most of you. I fully expected to be able to use more weight with it. After all, you don’t have to worry about floating it over your knees or anything like that. Just lock into position and leg press it up, right? Not the case for me. I can conventional DL much more than I can TBDL Gripping the Trap bar is nice I hardly need any chalk.

Op, Mine was a cheap one too. I think I got it for 95 from Jesper’s. Although I’ve only had it for two months and it’s been indoors, I notice some rust and corrosion at the weld sites. I recommend spraying the welds with a little WD40 every once in a while.