T Nation

Trap Bar Qs

I was looking at having a welder mate knock up a trap bar for me... now im not so sure.

I dreamed of replacing my sets 3 or 5 of normal DLs with trap bar DLs as i am recovering from 3 herniated discs (time to progress from rack pulls) - Assuming im on a program that incorporates ME days (say 5x5 DL on one, squats on another), is the trap bar DL more of a squat? Which leads to my next Q, where do trap bar deadlift fit in a program? Accessory to Squats?

How did you herniate 3 disks?

Reason I ask is that it’s scary that you injured yourself that bad, and youre still posting in the beginner section. That and I wondered if you injured yourself doing something besides lifting.

To answer your question, the deadlift may translate to stronger quads but I wouldn’t label it as an “accessory” to squats.

ooo you could have him make it extra long so you could do a wide stance trap deadlift! that would be interesting. dunno how it would fit in with squatting, but lifting heavy weight off the ground has got to help something.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
To answer your question, the deadlift may translate to stronger quads but I wouldn’t label it as an “accessory” to squats.[/quote]

Maruader Meat uses trap bar as a squat variation…just saying.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:
To answer your question, the deadlift may translate to stronger quads but I wouldn’t label it as an “accessory” to squats.

[/quote]

They actually make trap bars that hold enough weight for Maruader Meat, must be custom made.

[quote]ucallthatbass wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:

They actually make trap bars that hold enough weight for Maruader Meat, must be custom made.[/quote]

I was thinking this was a nice little joke, but then I thought about it a bit more. I guess it would be.

Ive been lifting about 6 years now, but i still have Qs i think i should know the answers for so i post them in here - Rippetoe describes the movement of a trap bar DL as more of a standing leg press…