Trap Bar for Deadlifts/Squats?

working around injuries and putting together a home gym and I wanted to know what are the differences between trap bar deads and barbell deads and are the trap bar deads as effective ?

Can the trap bar be used for squats ? Is it effective ?
I had shoulder surgery a yr ago its pretty much healed up and good to go. The problem is herniatrd discs in my neck, doc cleared me for lifting but barbell squats agrivate the shit out of it.

If your not looking to compete in Powerlifting the Hex Bar is great for quad and leg development But has very little carry over to the traditional Deadlift. Atleast this the case with me.

[quote]Reed wrote:
If your not looking to compete in Powerlifting the Hex Bar is great for quad and leg development But has very little carry over to the traditional Deadlift. Atleast this the case with me.[/quote]

Nah no meets just want to add size and strenght .Will it still hit the back ? And is it suitable for squats.

It doesnt have ALL the benefits of each individually, but for a home gym set up it is a great addition. It wont involve quite as much lower back, but there are ways to work that with bands that only cost 10-20 bucks (good mornings with bands around your feet).There are a few articles in the archives here about the similarities and differences.

Do them from a deficit and its like doing a bottoms-up squat.

Plus you can use them for shrugs, farmers walks, neutral grip over head pressing, etc…

I suggest getting the one Rogue makes, as many of the others are shitty, wont fit in a rack, and severely limit the weight you can use.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
It doesnt have ALL the benefits of each individually, but for a home gym set up it is a great addition. It wont involve quite as much lower back, but there are ways to work that with bands that only cost 10-20 bucks (good mornings with bands around your feet).There are a few articles in the archives here about the similarities and differences.

Do them from a deficit and its like doing a bottoms-up squat.

Plus you can use them for shrugs, farmers walks, neutral grip over head pressing, etc…

I suggest getting the one Rogue makes, as many of the others are shitty, wont fit in a rack, and severely limit the weight you can use.[/quote]

^^^^ Agreed

Cool hopefully this strategy will allow me to squat and do reads some what heavy without pain

Because of some back and elbow issues I have had to transition to trap-bar deadlifts. It does not carry over exactly, but if you are not competing it doesn’t matter. I like how it has allowed me to continue to lift heavy and contribute to my back thickness without straining my lower back as much as a bar does.

[quote]sjoconn wrote:
Because of some back and elbow issues I have had to transition to trap-bar deadlifts. It does not carry over exactly, but if you are not competing it doesn’t matter. I like how it has allowed me to continue to lift heavy and contribute to my back thickness without straining my lower back as much as a bar does.[/quote]

Thanks bro, makes me feel better hearing it from someone with a messed up back too. What lifts do u use it for ?

[quote]docholliday7777 wrote:
Thanks bro, makes me feel better hearing it from someone with a messed up back too. What lifts do u use it for ?[/quote]

I just use it for deadlifts and shrugs.

[quote]sjoconn wrote:

Thanks bro, makes me feel better hearing it from someone with a messed up back too. What lifts do u use it for ?[/quote]

I just use it for deadlifts and shrugs.[/quote]

Does sqauting with barbell bother u ?

i’m wondering if toes elevated trap bar pulls would mimic the deadlift (hamstrings). do a google search but im pretty sure it would recruit more of the deadlifting muscles that way. maybe wearing those squat shoes that have an elevated heal will make the pull more of a squat (quads). standing on a platform would get more depth for the squat effect. just be careful when locking out the trap bar at the top not to let the weight get too far behind you if you can envision what im saying, regardless of any pulling position with the trap bar. i have a trap bar and they are awesome. maybe an expert on here can elaborate because you have a great question that needs to answered.

[quote]QE4 wrote:
i’m wondering if toes elevated trap bar pulls would mimic the deadlift (hamstrings). do a google search but im pretty sure it would recruit more of the deadlifting muscles that way. maybe wearing those squat shoes that have an elevated heal will make the pull more of a squat (quads). standing on a platform would get more depth for the squat effect. just be careful when locking out the trap bar at the top not to let the weight get too far behind you if you can envision what im saying, regardless of any pulling position with the trap bar. i have a trap bar and they are awesome. maybe an expert on here can elaborate because you have a great question that needs to answered. [/quote]

Thanks for the advice… didn’t think coming back from this would be so aggravating… I came to terms with not using a barbell for benching but this just fuckin sucks… maybe I should just forget about sqauting and dreads and be happy I can lift at all

Does sqauting with barbell bother u ?[/quote]

I have never tried squating with a trap bar. I did just run across this and may give this a try at some point:

belt squats too.

here is one of the articles regarding toes elevated deadlift from the bigger stronger faster site. it does recruit the hamstrings and glutes like a conventional deadlift. i bet a platform trap bar deadlift is like a regular squat and an elevated heal off a platform would be a front squat.

QE4 can u repost that link for the article it never showed up. If I am understanding correctly basically if I pull from a deficit with an ass down torso more upright I will get something similar to a sqaut

Does anyone have opinions on which bar to get ? Something not too expensive

Has anyone heard of the dead squat bar ? Looks like a trap bar but the handled are angled if so do u like it compared to a regular trap bar

google “use the versatile hex bar for more than just deadlifts bigger faster stronger”. it talks about toe elevation and other exercises. it looks like they have a few articles on the trap bar. have a bar built at a local weld shop. design it on a piece of paper then buy the steel. take it to a welder. spray paint it

Thanks dude will Google it

To be honest a under two hundred won’t kill me id rather just order one instead of the going through designing but it was a good idea