Trap Bar for Benching

Since I dont have the money to drop on a tricep power bar, I was thinking on using the trap bar in my gym. The grip is a little wide, but I think it’s basically the same thing.

Thoughts?

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Since I dont have the money to drop on a tricep power bar, I was thinking on using the trap bar in my gym. The grip is a little wide, but I think it’s basically the same thing.
Thoughts?[/quote]

How would you rack it?

Wouldn’t the outside of the bar hit you in the face while benching? Your talking about a hex deadlift bar right?

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
Thoughts?

How would you rack it?

[/quote]

Not sure about that, maybe have two guys on either end of me.

[quote]Big nation wrote:
Wouldn’t the outside of the bar hit you in the face while benching? Your talking about a hex deadlift bar right?[/quote]

You might be right.

Maybe floor press?

I want to see video of you benching with a trap bar. :slight_smile:

I’ve done incline bench and overhead press with a trap bar. Its alright, though i was using a fairly high incline. Flat bench may risk your teeth. One thing you could do is bench from pins in a power rack, it would be a shorter range of motion but should be alright. I put a set of collars about half way along the sleeve, then put the weights on with another collar, so the weights were outside the safety pins in the power rack.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

Not sure about that, maybe have two guys on either end of me.[/quote]

Sounds too ghey!

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

Thoughts?[/quote]

that is a horrible idea. why do you want to use it?

I’ve actually seen a guy do floor presses with the trap bar. He set it up on some blocks (aerobic steps may work) as the “rack”, unracked it, and then proceeded to floor press. Don’t think benching with it would work though.

I do think the over head idea is a good one but the full motion press just doesnt seem like it would work.

again. why do you want to use it or buy a tricep bar? why not close grip, board presses, floor presses with a barbell?

[quote]Boffin wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

Sounds too ghey![/quote]

funniest and gayest thing i heard all day

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Not sure about that, maybe have two guys on either end of me.[/quote]

Anyone else immediately think of the movie Orgazmo? (DVDA)

back on topic, Im sure you COULD but there are many better options

[quote]cutthoat25 wrote:
Boffin wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

Sounds too ghey!

funniest and gayest thing i heard all day[/quote]

I see what you did there.

Anywho, now that I rethink it, I suppose it would be a horrible idea to try full ROM, it would obviousley break my face. But like I suggested before, I tried the bar out on floor press and it worked pretty well.

I also like the OH press idea, thanks for the video.

As long as it agrees with your shoulders biomechanics(not hurting your shoulders) due to the fixed position, then go for it!!!