Trap Bar Deads and Athletes

Currently running 5/3/1 for my offseason. Although i am foam rolling religiously and agile 8ing before every workout, conventionally deadlifts really hurt my lower back. Trap bar deads feel fine and I was wondering if they are beneficial for athletes and suitable to replace straight bar deadlifts in the 5/3/1 program?

Thanks.

I don’t think there would be anything wrong in doing so, I did it when I injured my back.

The same way you can apply the template to varying squat movements I don’t see why you can’t do it with trap bar deads.

For athletes though, I have no input but Defranco’s vids always seem to be filled to the brim with trap bar work, take that for what it’s worth.

Yes you can sub in trap bar deads. Sumo, conventional, trap bar doesn’t matter just get it off the ground. If it’s purely for lifting or for athletic training rather than powerlifting you’re good to go. Program the same way as regular deads.

Do them. I’m not a fan myself.

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
conventionally deadlifts really hurt my lower back.[/quote]
This is deserves your attention, not just a band-aid solution (new exercise). Figure out if it’s a technique issue, a programming issue (going into the DL session with a fatigued low back), something bigger that’s undiagnosed, or what.

From the FAQ in the 5/3/1 manual:
Question: Can I use the trap bar instead of the barbell for deadlifting?

Answer: Yes, this is the only acceptable deadlift option.

Question: If I switch from deadlifts to trap bar deadlifts, how long should I stick with the trap bar?

Answer:: You should stick with the new exercise until you reach your goal or until you stall. You must stay with the new exercise for more than just 4-8 weeks.

Question: Can I switch movements every other cycle? For example, do a trap bar deadlift for a cycle and then switch to a deadlift and then back to the trap bar.

Answer: No. Stick with one exercise and keep pushing this exercise until you stall out or reach your personal goals.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
For athletes though, I have no input but Defranco’s vids always seem to be filled to the brim with trap bar work, take that for what it’s worth.[/quote]
And Cressey’s athletes. And the athletes at Mike Boyle’s place. And so on, and so on. Trap bar deads are a solid option for athletes.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
Do them. I’m not a fan myself.[/quote]

Why not spar?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
conventionally deadlifts really hurt my lower back.[/quote]
This is deserves your attention, not just a band-aid solution (new exercise). Figure out if it’s a technique issue, a programming issue (going into the DL session with a fatigued low back), something bigger that’s undiagnosed, or what.

From the FAQ in the 5/3/1 manual:
Question: Can I use the trap bar instead of the barbell for deadlifting?

Answer: Yes, this is the only acceptable deadlift option.

Question: If I switch from deadlifts to trap bar deadlifts, how long should I stick with the trap bar?

Answer:: You should stick with the new exercise until you reach your goal or until you stall. You must stay with the new exercise for more than just 4-8 weeks.

Question: Can I switch movements every other cycle? For example, do a trap bar deadlift for a cycle and then switch to a deadlift and then back to the trap bar.

Answer: No. Stick with one exercise and keep pushing this exercise until you stall out or reach your personal goals.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
For athletes though, I have no input but Defranco’s vids always seem to be filled to the brim with trap bar work, take that for what it’s worth.[/quote]
And Cressey’s athletes. And the athletes at Mike Boyle’s place. And so on, and so on. Trap bar deads are a solid option for athletes.[/quote]

Thanks CC. Right now i am foam rolling everything and doing this warmup every day before lifting

The pain was on both sides of my lower back but since i started doing mobility only the left side has pain although it has gotten better. It not a sharp pain unless i pick something heavy up aka deadlift. Any other suggestion to fix it?

[quote]jtownlax wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Why not spar?[/quote]
No rational reason lol

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]jtownlax wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Why not spar?[/quote]
No rational reason lol[/quote]

I dislike them cause my leg drive sucks with them :frowning: which in turns means I should be doing more and more of them

As an athlete, do not be as focused on poundages than on applicable strength.

Case in point, I have known plenty of guys who claim to squat 500 lbs, yet when you see their form, their knees barely break from being locked and are nowhere even remotely close to parallel.

Snatch grip deadlifts are my all-time fav lift for speed and strength. Had I known about these in my college football days, I feel I could have ran the 40 yrs dash in 4.6 seconds instead of 4.75.