Trap Bar Deadlifts=Squats+Deadlifts?

I am newer to lifting and I have read conflicting views on whether or not trapbar deadlifts give the same benefits as doing squats and deadlifts.

Would you get good benefits from doing them in place of squats if you don’t have a rack to use at home for squatting?

I have only used a trapbar several times, so not really a trapbar expert. It can neither replace the squat or deadlift. It is a mix of the two. I would rather do these than trying to do hack squats with a straight bar.

[quote]IronTiger73 wrote:
I am newer to lifting and I have read conflicting views on whether or not trapbar deadlifts give the same benefits as doing squats and deadlifts.

Would you get good benefits from doing them in place of squats if you don’t have a rack to use at home for squatting?[/quote]

Yes…I have been using one for 2 years now and I love it. Even though I now have a rack, I still use it to perform DL and SLDL due to a lower back issue/injury. When I was using it for squats I just adjusted the way I perfomed the squat movement (bent legs more and kept a larger angle / more open at the hip)as opposed to the Deadlift movement where I started the pull with the hip angle smaller (bent over more).

You can also look at it this way: Trapbar = some type of squat movement vs no squat movement since you don’t have a rack.
John

I love Trapbar deadlifts. They will really help your squat and deadlift. And for someone like me with long legs and a short torso using the trapbar for deadlifts more often than regular deadlifts with a barbell saves a lot of wear and tear on my low back and shins. I really love using the trapbar for Romanian deadlifts.

I feel so centered and I can direct the tension on to my hams, glutes and hips really well and keep pressure off my low back. I also use the trapbar for a more squat type movement where I really keep my chest up, really sit the hips down into it (ass to grass) and drive up through my legs (quads). I find trapbar deadlifts give me the same hormonal and metabolism increase that traditional squats and deadlifts do.

You would get good benefits from doing them at home.  I wouldn't say they replace squats exactly but they are a VERY worthy substitute.  

A killer combo I have used at various times in my training cycles is a Trapbar Romanian Deadlift for 5reps then directly/immediately (with same weight on bar) into Trapbar squat/Deadlift movement for 5 reps.
Your hams, glutes and erectors will be notice.

Oh yeah…You have to do this after you have worked out with the trapbar for a while:

-Learn to power clean if you have not already done so.
-Learn to front squatFront squat
-At some point, you must do 20 rep max squats wiht the trap bar and post your weights!

John

[quote]jms wrote:
I love Trapbar deadlifts. They will really help your squat and deadlift. And for someone like me with long legs and a short torso using the trapbar for deadlifts more often than regular deadlifts with a barbell saves a lot of wear and tear on my low back and shins. I really love using the trapbar for Romanian deadlifts. I feel so centered and I can direct the tension on to my hams, glutes and hips really well and keep pressure off my low back. I also use the trapbar for a more squat type movement where I really keep my chest up, really sit the hips down into it (ass to grass) and drive up through my legs (quads). I find trapbar deadlifts give me the same hormonal and metabolism increase that traditional squats and deadlifts do.
You would get good benefits from doing them at home. I wouldn’t say they replace squats exactly but they are a VERY worthy substitute.
A killer combo I have used at various times in my training cycles is a Trapbar Romanian Deadlift for 5reps then directly/immediately (with same weight on bar) into Trapbar squat/Deadlift movement for 5 reps.
Your hams, glutes and erectors will notice.[/quote]

THIS: and don’t forget to shrug whatever you you just lifted for 15 reps each for each set of trap bar work!
Your grip and traps will thank you later…well, your grip will. Your traps will make you seek a pain clinic for some relief. You will NOT need to, or be able to, do any upper back work once you get into some heavy weights.
John

I believe it was Poliquin who said he pukes in his mouth everytime he see’s someone doing these.

And I know I spelled Poliquin’s name wrong.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
I believe it was Poliquin who said he pukes in his mouth everytime he see’s someone doing these.

And I know I spelled Poliquin’s name wrong.[/quote]

Now that I know that…My trapbar is on eBay…now CP wont puke as much.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:

Why is that?

Just to let you know…trapbar might no be as good as squat or regular dead, but it still a overall good exercice…IF you wanna see some serious work with the trapbar…go see this!!

Meh… we had a kid doin’ trap bar deadlifts w/ 600 his sophomore year of highschool. He was around 250 but still. Considering the number of 500+ “deadlifters” we had on my relatively weak highschool football team…I’ve forever lost respect for trap bar deadlift.

I suppose it has its purposes. Like when lifters are too posterior chain dominant… I’m just jaded after hearing so many of them talk about how much they “deadlift”. That and how horrifically quad dominant our athletes already were, replacing deadlifts with these didn’t help.
Case in point he had 3 kids that had hip fractures caused by their obnoxiously tight hip flexors literally pulling the bone apart.

Would you get good benefits from doing them in place of squats if you don’t have a rack to use at home for squatting?[/quote]

Just to let you take note:

A 500lb trap bar DL is not equal a 500lb regular bar DL(though the movement looks kinda same)

Heck,you might not be even to pull 400lb with a regular bar if you have a 500lb trap bar pull.

The trapbar is NOT the best of both worlds(of DL and SQ)

I think it is the worst of both worlds(of DL and SQ)

[quote]Doenitz79 wrote:
IronTiger73 wrote:

Would you get good benefits from doing them in place of squats if you don’t have a rack to use at home for squatting?

Just to let you take note:

A 500lb trap bar DL is not equal a 500lb regular bar DL(though the movement looks kinda same)

Heck,you might not be even to pull 400lb with a regular bar if you have a 500lb trap bar pull.

This is true. When I could deadlift 655, I could do farmers walks using the trap bar and carry 615 up and down the gym. I wish I had a video of me using clamps to secure the last plate, out of fear they would slip off.
The trapbar is NOT the best of both worlds.

I have a very easy time teaching people this variation of the deadlift/squat. It takes me less than 5 minutes. I know people who still screw up squats and regular deads, but this seems to be a quick learn.

As far as Poliquin is concerned, have you looked at his Poliquin principles. He mentions the magic circle squats as a good variation of the squat in the leg chapter. The magic circle squat is very similar to this. I doubt he hates this.

I’m not bashing the trap bar,but dont think one should use it as a main lift,it’s better off as an accesssory movement to your regular bar DL or SQ.

[quote]Doenitz79 wrote:
I’m not bashing the trap bar,but dont think one should use it as a main lift,it’s better off as an accesssory movement to your regular bar DL or SQ.[/quote]

This.

So many people trash the trap bar lift as a replacement for squats or deads, when that isn’t the purpose of using it.

The 405x17 video was a great example of using the bar for RE work. You experience way less form breakdown because of how non-technical the lift is.

horsepuss wrote:

And I know I spelled Poliquin’s name wrong.

Why is that?[/quote]

Dont get me wrong, the trap bar is badass.But the op posted trap bar deadlift squats.This is very different from just using the trap bar for deads or shrugs.

Doing a dead squat is what Poliqiun was refering to where you would sit back with the handles at youre side and then just try and stand straight up with it.

My gym use to have a trap bar and I loved it but they fucking sold it.

I wonder if the guys who picked up rocks, stumps, fixed weight bars, etc for centuries would feel the need to bash those doing deads and squats with rotating collars.

Some of you sure make reading threads tiresome. Why not ask the OP what purpose he is lifting weights in the first place.

[quote]treco wrote:
I wonder if the guys who picked up rocks, stumps, fixed weight bars, etc for centuries would feel the need to bash those doing deads and squats with rotating collars.

Some of you sure make reading threads tiresome. Why not ask the OP what purpose he is lifting weights in the first place. [/quote]

Well, odds are since it’s this is the powerlifting forum people assume it’s for powerlifting.

I miss when strength sports were all lumped together.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
treco wrote:

Some of you sure make reading threads tiresome. Why not ask the OP what purpose he is lifting weights in the first place.

Well, odds are since it’s this is the powerlifting forum people assume it’s for powerlifting.[/quote]

If he was serious about powerlifting, you would think he would get a rack.

me too!

[quote]horsepuss wrote:

Screw poliguin, he is the most over rated and over hyped strength and conditioning coach on earth. The trap bar has a place in the gym. It’s great for training around injury, move large weights, and awesome for farmer’s walks. It doesn’t replace either the squat or DL, but is good for assistance work.