Transwoman Takes First Place

I was a little bit encouraged, ya know?

Look, we can talk about a specific policy and try to understand it a little bit, and not bog down in the partisan divide. We’re not trying to solve the healthcare crisis or anything really confusing and hard. I mean we’re just talking about a few rare intersex or TG people and looking at what the rules are for them in sports, and if we think the current rules are fair, and thinking about how this might evolve and chnage. People had opinions, and shared their anecdotal stories. Cool. There isn’t a ton of research, but there are some smart people working on it and I was kind of heartened to see how reasonable and thoughtful they seem.

I’m trying to not have really strong opinions about things I don’t understand. My thinking sometimes evolves.

sigh. It was a good thread, @twojarslave.

3 Likes

You’re the second person to state that I’ve been trolled, which suggests it’s probably an accurate assessment. I guess my troll-radar (which has never been very good, I have to admit) is not up to the task. I’ll disengage from that aspect of the thread.

I asked a simple question you declined to answer it. This has nothing to do with trolling. Look, you don’t need an excuse to cut off debate. Using “I was trolled” is just pathetic.

You guys should carry on if you want to. I do think Zeb is just pulling your chain. I’m becoming a lot less interested in broad partisan ideology and a lot more interested in seeing if we can sometimes find common agreement or wisdom when we try to forget party and just focus on specific policies. That makes me think it’s worth it. Our congress isn’t interested in doing that, but I’m a bit more hopeful about the rest of us. Does that make sense?

6 Likes

I’m with you on this, Puff.

3 Likes

I triple Dog Dare you.

Well, it’s not a bowling picture but here you go. Kickin’ it on the patio. Obviously, this was taken in November.

I’d advise you not to mess with me, Busy. What I lack in height (and testosterone), I make up for in pure spite.

4 Likes

Well plaid.

1 Like

Lol, well played :wink:

1 Like

Hubbard is still at it, becoming the first female over 40 to perform at such a high level in weightlifting.

I used to think that a woman’s weightlifting champion couldn’t have a penis, but I now understand that isn’t true. I used to feel bad for the young women who lost to a 41 year old with testicles, but I now understand how happy they must be for their brave and beautiful competitor.

I really can’t imagine a better outcome. Hubbard is on-track to make the Olympics, where the entire world can see her perform and correctly conclude that there is absolutely no difference between Hubbard and other women.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m in a bubble, but the very large majority of folks I hear speaking out against this are men. If the female competition has an issue with it I think they need to be more outspoken.

Well if you scroll up in the thread you can read the thoughts of at least two women lifters who log (or did) on this site.

You could also read what the some of the high school girls in Connecticut think about every biological woman automatically becoming second tier athletes in women’s track.

Maybe you’re right. I’m sure the 18 year old girl who took 2nd to a 41 year old Hubbard was thrilled to lose her spot as well.

3 Likes

You are in a bubble. Look at the two girls in Connecticut. Many have spoken against them, and they have done so while acknowledging many others would like to but are afraid of the backlash. I started reading this before I realized it was 2 years old, but DebraD has a great response at the beginning of this thread. It’s a challenging situation, but it’s clearly not fair to the cis-gendered girls.

There’s many articles out there about Connecticut track if you google it.

Idk, my impression is that female competitors coming out publicly against trans competitors is pretty rare and very much the exception.

In one of the “sports” I follow this is a hot button issue, but the fellow female competitors haven’t said anything publicly despite their reactions on the podium.

Is it at all common for high level female athletes to come out against trans competitors?

Depending on where these women are and what they have at stake, I’m not sure you can assume their silence equals approval.

I don’t particularly care if someone calls me transphobic, but that label could be a lot more trouble than it’s worth for a lot of young female athletes.

2 Likes

Because any disagreement means your transphobic and you get publicly smeared as a bigot.

Exactly.

1 Like

Totally agree. But their silence/avoidance of the issue will allow and condone the acceptance of trans athletes. Assuming they are against it.

But at the same time, how do you know what they are thinking if they don’t express it? Either way. Maybe the majority are totally fine with it and feel as though the regulations currently in place (in their particular sport) allow for a level-enough playing field?

I think some serious long-ish term studies are needed to study the physical and psychological issues at play to come up with better parameters for allowing, or not trans competitors in a competition.

I don’t know what unnamed people are thinking, only that every single woman I’ve interacted with online or in person is in general agreement with me. This includes a friend of mine who is a trans weightlifter and could do exactly what Hubbard is doing right now if he so chose.

I don’t. I think we had a good system that separated athletes by sex, backed by observations both scientific and casual going back past recorded history.

Trans league or compete with men are the only sane options for most sports.

1 Like