Transverse Abdominus

Could someone give me some info on it? How do you work it, what does it do, etc. I seem to have read something about it a while ago but I can’t remember what its all about.

It’s the deepest layer of the abdominal wall. It gets work out the same way that the rest of your abdomen. Crunches, leg raises, etc.

Do prone bridges with your elbows on a swiss ball. That’ll work them nicely, along with bracing your whole torso while doing any other lifting movement.

This is the muscle that holds your gut in. Try stomach vacuums I guess. I can’t vouch for their efficacy; you’ll definitely feel it if you hold long enough, but that doesn’t mean much. In general, if you focus on keeping your gut in and core tight during your big lifts, I think you’ll be OK.

The transverse abdominis originates from the iliac crest, inguinal ligament, lumbar fascia, and cartilages of the inferior six ribs.

It inserts on the xiphoid process, linea alba, and pubis. It’s action is to compress the abdomen.

It basically forms the three layers of muscle around the abdomen with the external and internal obliques.

The only reason I know that is because I’m studying for my anatomy exam. Good practice.

[quote]fallout188 wrote:
It’s action is to compress the abdomen.[/quote]

Yep and - by working in conjunction with the pelvic floor and abdominal diaphragm it can act to increase intra-abdominal pressure and add some stability to the spine.

Please note that TrA performs to create the ‘all the time’ kind of stability… not the ‘I’m about to do a deadlift and should suck my tummy in and nothing else’ kind of stability.
TrA can not function properly/adequately in people with back pain and hence its focus as part of rehabilitation.