Transitioning to Vegetarianism

[quote]Chushin wrote:

Your posts never fail to be interesting, my friend.[/quote]

Sounds like a Chinese curse.

So are you still a vegetarian or have you been to Harveyā€™s drive-thru this week?

Vegetarian, but have had some full blown vegan days in the past week. So I now consider the title of this thread as not so misleading as I thought it was. When I made it I was in what is considered the pre-contemplation stage of behavioral change. I had one and a half weeks of eating some meat since making it, but this past week has been mostly vegetarian days with some vegan days. I donā€™t think people, including myself, make such drastic lifestyle changes in a day. Again, this is not a life-long pledge and Iā€™ve made this decision from information Iā€™ve gathered, my own thoughts, and my understanding and education in nutrition/dietetics. I aired it out here because I trust all here, despite getting a little overworked here and there. I like and respect all here. I donā€™t think it would be good to share this on the majority of boards. I appreciate everyone being civil and respectful aside from a snide comment here, which is insignificant and in many cases, FUNNY, even if itā€™s poked at me. :slight_smile:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Vegetarian, but have had some full blown vegan days in the past week. So I now consider the title of this thread as not so misleading as I thought it was. When I made it I was in what is considered the pre-contemplation stage of behavioral change. I had one and a half weeks of eating some meat since making it, but this past week has been mostly vegetarian days with some vegan days. I donā€™t think people, including myself, make such drastic lifestyle changes in a day. Again, this is not a life-long pledge and Iā€™ve made this decision from information Iā€™ve gathered, my own thoughts, and my understanding and education in nutrition/dietetics. I aired it out here because I trust all here, despite getting a little overworked here and there. I like and respect all here. I donā€™t think it would be good to share this on the majority of boards. I appreciate everyone being civil and respectful aside from a snide comment here, which is insignificant and in many cases, FUNNY, even if itā€™s poked at me. :slight_smile: [/quote]

Brick, would you care to discuss (in a nutshell) how your macro requirements will be fulfilled - especially protein?

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Vegetarian, but have had some full blown vegan days in the past week. So I now consider the title of this thread as not so misleading as I thought it was. When I made it I was in what is considered the pre-contemplation stage of behavioral change. I had one and a half weeks of eating some meat since making it, but this past week has been mostly vegetarian days with some vegan days. I donā€™t think people, including myself, make such drastic lifestyle changes in a day. Again, this is not a life-long pledge and Iā€™ve made this decision from information Iā€™ve gathered, my own thoughts, and my understanding and education in nutrition/dietetics. I aired it out here because I trust all here, despite getting a little overworked here and there. I like and respect all here. I donā€™t think it would be good to share this on the majority of boards. I appreciate everyone being civil and respectful aside from a snide comment here, which is insignificant and in many cases, FUNNY, even if itā€™s poked at me. :slight_smile: [/quote]

Brick, would you care to discuss (in a nutshell) how your macro requirements will be fulfilled - especially protein?
[/quote]

Iā€™ve been eating with portion control and instinctively lately, til moderately full. Itā€™s pretty much what John Berardi and Precision Nutrition recommend for portion control that Iā€™ve been using for some time and itā€™s good for people who do not want to drive themselves insane with counting every calorie and macro, which I find totally impractical for me. Iā€™ve done it here and there to get on track when I felt I needed to trim down a bit some times and then do portion control from there. But for now, I am using simple portion control for plant-based diets.

So in a nutshell, what Iā€™m doing is this:
Protein
eggs (Like I said, from the ā€œurban farmā€ where have here in Queens, around the corner from me. I hardly have them as only a dozen can be bought at a time and I only go there on Saturday afternoons, and not regularly. So maybe a day or two a week I have them.)
soy products (tofu, tempeh, beans)
variety of pulses (lentils, all kinds of beans, peas)

Carbs
These supply some of the protein I am getting, and obviously pulses and soy products contain carbs, so this is a carb heavy diet.
corn
quinoa
Ezekiel bread
oatmeal
rice
amaranth
potatoes
yucca

Fats
seeds
nuts
oils
avocados

Fruits
All kinds

veggies
All kinds

If I had to estimate what I am doing, I probably am getting 100 to 120 grams of protein a day depending on what protein sources I eat. My view on protein has changed and Iā€™ll see what happens. It is certainly enough for fine health. I donā€™t know what will happen to my body comp though, but there are plenty of people I know or have known of who have been fine on relatively lower protein amountsā€“lower than the BB recommendation of 1 gram per pound (or in some cases, an insane 2 g per pound).

The stuff I was worried about was omega-3ā€™s, but I am getting that from flax and chia seeds and can get some EPA and DHA from sea veggies like seaweed and kombu. I eat some of the seaweed snacks that are common now and I plan on getting more stuff from the Asian market near me. Iā€™m also concerned about B12, but thatā€™s in eggs and if phase them out I will just supplement.

So a sample day for me this week was:
Breakfast
Several slices of maple ā€œbaconā€ flavored Tofurky strips
refried beans
oatmeal with flaxseeds and blueberries

Lunch
Falafel burger (homemade)
pita bread
Large salad with olive oil and vinegar
apple

Snack
peanut butter sandwich with ezekiel bread
banana
dried seaweed snack

Dinner
salad
chickpea-rice pasta (forgot brand name that makes this) with tomato sauce and green peas

Thanks for the posts and compliments here Clunk.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[/quote]

Iā€™ve been eating with portion control and instinctively lately, til moderately full. Itā€™s pretty much what John Berardi and Precision Nutrition recommend for portion control that Iā€™ve been using for some time and itā€™s good for people who do not want to drive themselves insane with counting every calorie and macro, which I find totally impractical for me. Iā€™ve done it here and there to get on track when I felt I needed to trim down a bit some times and then do portion control from there. But for now, I am using simple portion control for plant-based diets.

Protein
eggs (Like I said, from the ā€œurban farmā€ where have here in Queens, around the corner from me. I hardly have them as only a dozen can be bought at a time and I only go there on Saturday afternoons, and not regularly. So maybe a day or two a week I have them.)
variety of pulses (lentils, all kinds of beans, peas)

Carbs
These supply some of the protein I am getting, and obviously pulses and soy products contain carbs, so this is a carb heavy diet.
corn
quinoa
Ezekiel bread
oatmeal
rice
amaranth
potatoes
yucca

Fats
seeds
nuts
oils
avocados

Fruits
All kinds

veggies
All kinds

If I had to estimate what I am doing, I probably am getting 100 to 120 grams of protein a day depending on what protein sources I eat. My view on protein has changed and Iā€™ll see what happens. It is certainly enough for fine health. I donā€™t know what will happen to my body comp though, but there are plenty of people I know or have known of who have been fine on relatively lower protein amountsā€“lower than the BB recommendation of 1 gram per pound (or in some cases, an insane 2 g per pound).

The stuff I was worried about was omega-3ā€™s, but I am getting that from flax and chia seeds and can get some EPA and DHA from sea veggies like seaweed and kombu. I eat some of the seaweed snacks that are common now and I plan on getting more stuff from the Asian market near me. Iā€™m also concerned about B12, but thatā€™s in eggs and if phase them out I will just supplement.

So a sample day for me this week was:
Breakfast
Several slices of maple ā€œbaconā€ flavored Tofurky strips
refried beans
oatmeal with flaxseeds and blueberries

Lunch
Falafel burger (homemade)
pita bread
Large salad with olive oil and vinegar
apple

Snack
peanut butter sandwich with ezekiel bread
banana
dried seaweed snack

Dinner
salad
chickpea-rice pasta (forgot brand name that makes this) with tomato sauce and green peas

Thanks for the posts and compliments here Clunk.
[/quote]

Excellent! Looks very nutritious and balanced.

In my own experience, dropping protein grams made no difference in my physiqueā€™s appearance, or gym performance. Carbs and total caloric intake were the keys to keeping mass and energy in the gym.

How is your digestion with this new ā€œline-up?ā€ Although I am still a flesh eater (grass-fed beef daily, all types of fish, chicken, free-range eggs) I have fairly recently added organic leafy greens in large quantities to every meal, and my digestion has been the best itā€™s been in years.

My digestion (more like ā€œregularityā€) is the best itā€™s ever been. :slight_smile:

Yes, the protein thing is overhyped I believe. And I notice that even some studies that have ā€œprovenā€ that very high amounts are needed have been conducted by researchers who have direct ties to protein biz. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with protein supps and Iā€™ve used Plazma and others and like them. Iā€™ve just notice that some who push such high protein have something to sell.

Brick, any change in the amount you spend on food? Cheaper, same, more??
Interesting thread!

3 questions/points that Iā€™m curious aboutā€¦

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Protein
ā€¦
ā€¦[/quote]

Iā€™ve read from some sources (most were articles on this site) that eating soy products is a great way to increase estrogen. Is that a concern for you?

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
ā€¦
ā€¦
[/quote]

I agree that the need for protein tends to be overblown, however if my memory serves me correctly (which it doesnā€™t always), people are typically told to take in 1.5 or more grams per pound of goal weight when they are specifially trying to gain weight and are ā€œhard gainersā€ (I know there are a lot that would argue there is no such thing, just people who donā€™t eat enough).

Is it that common to recommend so much protein when youā€™ve already done a lot of work and are already at a certain point? What percentage of bodyweight would 100 to 120 grams of protein fall into for you? if you donā€™t mind me askingā€¦

My logic is that if it is below 50% grams per pound for goal bodyweight, Iā€™m thinking it might be a little low. Also, I am aware that youā€™re just testing it out. This is really more just for discussion purposes than anything else. Iā€™m bored at work, haha.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Yes, the protein thing is overhyped I believe. And I notice that even some studies that have ā€œprovenā€ that very high amounts are needed have been conducted by researchers who have direct ties to protein biz. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with protein supps and Iā€™ve used Plazma and others and like them. Iā€™ve just notice that some who push such high protein have something to sell. [/quote]

I feel like the same could be true in reverse. Iā€™ve talked to a few vegans and seen some of their documentary videos that they like to show to sell people on their lifestyle and it always seemed to me like the videos and concepts could easily be getting pushed because they have something to sell, as well. Your thoughts?

[quote]TDub301 wrote:

Iā€™ve read from some sources (most were articles on this site) that eating soy products is a great way to increase estrogen. Is that a concern for you? [/quote]

Iā€™ve read that for years on bodybuilding websites. However I do not buy it. Phytoestrogens are not the same as estrogen. I get my estradiol checked every three or four months, so I can see if this actually holds water. There are vegans taking in more than 50 grams of soy protein a day with no ill effects, my close friend being one of them.

Same goes for thyroid function. If remember correctly, there was some study in a thyroidology journal which showed no negative effects on thyroid function. I am usually too lazy, and, to be honest, disinterested in shuffling studies around. There are other men who love doing that. :slight_smile:

[quote]

I agree that the need for protein tends to be overblown, however if my memory serves me correctly (which it doesnā€™t always), people are typically told to take in 1.5 or more grams per pound of goal weight when they are specifially trying to gain weight and are ā€œhard gainersā€ (I know there are a lot that would argue there is no such thing, just people who donā€™t eat enough). [/quote]

For a long time now, the general recommendation has been 0.8-1 g per pound. Iā€™ve seen some trainers and nutritionists recommend or plan 1.5 to 2 grams per pound, and I believe that is an outrageous amount of protein. There has been some research (again, too lazy, but might look for it, and it has been referenced by Lonnie Lowery on this site before) in which it was shown that a measly 20 to 30 grams of protein three to five times a day is enough for muscle growth, irrespective of bodyweight. I think this research also showed steroid users who gained something like 13 pounds of LBM in a few months with this amount which is likely far lower than 1 gram per pound.

Many dietitians recommend 1.2 to 1.7 g/kg and in some cases, 2 g/kg, depending on how low total calories are.

Mike Mentor stated over and over that he would consume 60 to 80 grams of protein a day and he was an elite competitor, and I donā€™t have a reason to disbelieve him considering he didnā€™t have anything to gain from such a statement, nor was he some guy that liked to pull peopleā€™s chain. Nasser el Sonbaty said he only took in about 100 grams a day and he was enormous. Again, I donā€™t see why heā€™d say that; itā€™s not shocking, and if anything would have sponsors not endorsing him with their products. I have an acquaintance that knew Nasser very well, and while she did say he liked to rile people up by saying dumb crap, I donā€™t see how that would be effective in this case.

[quote]
Is it that common to recommend so much protein when youā€™ve already done a lot of work and are already at a certain point? What percentage of bodyweight would 100 to 120 grams of protein fall into for you? if you donā€™t mind me askingā€¦ [/quote]

Around 0.5 to 0.6 g/lb. Yes, I think you can get away with less once youā€™ve built the muscle with a bit more, but I no longer believe you need so damn much. Dave Tate reached an enormous size taking in less than a gram per pound, as he said in his articles dealing with his transformation with John Berardi.

[quote]
My logic is that if it is below 50% grams per pound for goal bodyweight, Iā€™m thinking it might be a little low. Also, I am aware that youā€™re just testing it out. This is really more just for discussion purposes than anything else. Iā€™m bored at work, haha. [/quote]

Thatā€™s fine. I used to think that it would be too low, but, as I said, I donā€™t think itā€™s so low that gains or maintenance canā€™t be had. Besides, 100 to 120 grams is more than enough for well being and healthā€“absolutely nothing unhealthy with this amount.

[quote]

I feel like the same could be true in reverse. Iā€™ve talked to a few vegans and seen some of their documentary videos that they like to show to sell people on their lifestyle and it always seemed to me like the videos and concepts could easily be getting pushed because they have something to sell, as well. Your thoughts?[/quote]

Of course. There are vegan books, clothing, shampoos, food, supplements, you name it. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with selling things, including protein powder, some of which Iā€™ve liked and used. Itā€™s just I noticed the ones pushing insane protein amounts (like someone well all know of very well, but I will not mention, who does recommend unnecessary amounts) have protein powder to sell. Again, nothing wrong with the sales aspect of it. Itā€™s just misleading about the nutrition recommendation.

[quote]scoots2 wrote:
Brick, any change in the amount you spend on food? Cheaper, same, more??
Interesting thread![/quote]

Thanks!

Well, like a month ago, when my wife and I started to make this transition (with some slips, as shown in this thread, lol), we went nuts and bought a shit ton of stuff from Fairway. We both love food and cooking, so we got excited to try new stuff, and wound up buying all sorts of stuff, totaling about 400 bucks over two weeks (perhaps not THAT expensive, considering we do not dine out much at all, and meals eaten out can be very expensive): chia and flaxseeds, chia seed drinks, Tofurkey items, other tofu items, edamame, corn, all sorts of beans, nuts, fruits, veggies, different vinegars, amaranth, quinoa, rice, Ezekiel bread, gritsā€¦ like nuts! :slight_smile:

We overdid it, but weā€™ve used a lot of it, and since then have not had to shop for so much. This diet can be so cheap, especially if one does not buy organic plant foods. A can of beans is dirt cheap. Rice is dirt cheap. Potatoes, oatmeal, grits, nut butters. This is really not expensive stuff, and thereā€™s a reason people in this world who live on a buck a day eat rice and beans.

Danny Padilla got in the best shape of his life for the '81 Olympia (and should have won) taking in only 80 gm of protein per day! He shrewdly manipulated carbs and total cal intake to achieve his best form ever.

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

In my own experience, dropping protein grams made no difference in my physiqueā€™s appearance, or gym performance. Carbs and total caloric intake were the keys to keeping mass and energy in the gym.

How is your digestion with this new ā€œline-up?ā€ Although I am still a flesh eater (grass-fed beef daily, all types of fish, chicken, free-range eggs) I have fairly recently added organic leafy greens in large quantities to every meal, and my digestion has been the best itā€™s been in years.
[/quote]

CLUNK -
How much protein are you eating, if you donā€™t mind answering?

BTW, youā€™re new avatar is a HUGE improvement.
Youā€™d think there could be one little corner of the internet where all the avatars are attractive, or even shirtless and handsome. Apparently not. :wink:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[/quote]

CLUNK -

Youā€™d think there could be one little corner of the internet where all the avatars are attractive, or even shirtless and handsome. Apparently not. :wink:
[/quote]

Thanks, Puff. I hesitate to post my real self, so ugly dudes, strange dogs, and slabs of meat will have to do for now.

My protein per day is in the 120 gm range. Sometimes less. There will even be times where I go for many hours without a protein source, and Iā€™ll have a huge protein meal eventually in the day.
Brick mentioned Mike Mentzer, who was one of the first bodybuilders outspoken about the protein ā€œscam.ā€ Mike said (paraphrasing) that the recommended daily protein dose and frequency are grossly overestimated for making progress. We would never have survived as a species if muscle tissue breakdown and catabolization occurred within a 2-hour stretch of fasting. The human body is highly adaptive. Muscle growth, of course, is a result of adaptation.

Im curious, do you have Greek ancestry by any chance?

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[/quote]

CLUNK -

[/quote]

Thanks, Puff. I hesitate to post my real self, so ugly dudes, strange dogs, and slabs of meat will have to do for now.

My protein per day is in the 120 gm range. Sometimes less. There will even be times where I go for many hours without a protein source, and Iā€™ll have a huge protein meal eventually in the day.
Brick mentioned Mike Mentzer, who was one of the first bodybuilders outspoken about the protein ā€œscam.ā€ Mike said (paraphrasing) that the recommended daily protein dose and frequency are grossly overestimated for making progress. We would never have survived as a species if muscle tissue breakdown and catabolization occurred within a 2-hour stretch of fasting. The human body is highly adaptive. Muscle growth, of course, is a result of adaptation. [/quote]

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Stumbled across this today:

Research Points To Mental Health Risks Associated With Meatless Diet

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/12/04/research-points-to-mental-health-risks-associated-with-meatless-diet/[/quote]

Lettuce is Ć¢??three times worse than baconā€™ for emissions and vegetarian diets could be bad for environment

Hitler was a vegetarian, so this explains a lot.

(Yes, joking.)

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]TDub301 wrote:

Iā€™ve read from some sources (most were articles on this site) that eating soy products is a great way to increase estrogen. Is that a concern for you? [/quote]

Iā€™ve read that for years on bodybuilding websites. However I do not buy it. Phytoestrogens are not the same as estrogen. I get my estradiol checked every three or four months, so I can see if this actually holds water. There are vegans taking in more than 50 grams of soy protein a day with no ill effects, my close friend being one of them.

Same goes for thyroid function. If remember correctly, there was some study in a thyroidology journal which showed no negative effects on thyroid function. I am usually too lazy, and, to be honest, disinterested in shuffling studies around. There are other men who love doing that. :slight_smile:

[quote]

I agree that the need for protein tends to be overblown, however if my memory serves me correctly (which it doesnā€™t always), people are typically told to take in 1.5 or more grams per pound of goal weight when they are specifially trying to gain weight and are ā€œhard gainersā€ (I know there are a lot that would argue there is no such thing, just people who donā€™t eat enough). [/quote]

For a long time now, the general recommendation has been 0.8-1 g per pound. Iā€™ve seen some trainers and nutritionists recommend or plan 1.5 to 2 grams per pound, and I believe that is an outrageous amount of protein. There has been some research (again, too lazy, but might look for it, and it has been referenced by Lonnie Lowery on this site before) in which it was shown that a measly 20 to 30 grams of protein three to five times a day is enough for muscle growth, irrespective of bodyweight. I think this research also showed steroid users who gained something like 13 pounds of LBM in a few months with this amount which is likely far lower than 1 gram per pound.

Many dietitians recommend 1.2 to 1.7 g/kg and in some cases, 2 g/kg, depending on how low total calories are.

Mike Mentor stated over and over that he would consume 60 to 80 grams of protein a day and he was an elite competitor, and I donā€™t have a reason to disbelieve him considering he didnā€™t have anything to gain from such a statement, nor was he some guy that liked to pull peopleā€™s chain. Nasser el Sonbaty said he only took in about 100 grams a day and he was enormous. Again, I donā€™t see why heā€™d say that; itā€™s not shocking, and if anything would have sponsors not endorsing him with their products. I have an acquaintance that knew Nasser very well, and while she did say he liked to rile people up by saying dumb crap, I donā€™t see how that would be effective in this case.

[quote]
Is it that common to recommend so much protein when youā€™ve already done a lot of work and are already at a certain point? What percentage of bodyweight would 100 to 120 grams of protein fall into for you? if you donā€™t mind me askingā€¦ [/quote]

Around 0.5 to 0.6 g/lb. Yes, I think you can get away with less once youā€™ve built the muscle with a bit more, but I no longer believe you need so damn much. Dave Tate reached an enormous size taking in less than a gram per pound, as he said in his articles dealing with his transformation with John Berardi.

[quote]
My logic is that if it is below 50% grams per pound for goal bodyweight, Iā€™m thinking it might be a little low. Also, I am aware that youā€™re just testing it out. This is really more just for discussion purposes than anything else. Iā€™m bored at work, haha. [/quote]

Thatā€™s fine. I used to think that it would be too low, but, as I said, I donā€™t think itā€™s so low that gains or maintenance canā€™t be had. Besides, 100 to 120 grams is more than enough for well being and healthā€“absolutely nothing unhealthy with this amount.

[quote]

I feel like the same could be true in reverse. Iā€™ve talked to a few vegans and seen some of their documentary videos that they like to show to sell people on their lifestyle and it always seemed to me like the videos and concepts could easily be getting pushed because they have something to sell, as well. Your thoughts?[/quote]

Of course. There are vegan books, clothing, shampoos, food, supplements, you name it. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with selling things, including protein powder, some of which Iā€™ve liked and used. Itā€™s just I noticed the ones pushing insane protein amounts (like someone well all know of very well, but I will not mention, who does recommend unnecessary amounts) have protein powder to sell. Again, nothing wrong with the sales aspect of it. Itā€™s just misleading about the nutrition recommendation. [/quote]

Well spoken. I am also one who doesnā€™t feel like searching through tons of research, either. Your reputation to know what youā€™re talking about has been pretty solidified to me through this thread.

This discussion is reaffirming beliefs that I had already been coming to realize, myself. Iā€™ll always be a primarily meat and potatoes kind of person, but itā€™s good to know that I donā€™t need to strain so much to get so much damn protein in every day.

So what would you say is a good daily protein amount? .6 g/lb? Even if youā€™re still trying to add muscle?