Transitioning to Vegetarianism

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Mcincinatti wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
It IS a good argument whether it’s used about slave owners or cattle ranchers or feedlot owners or wheat farmers or dairy farmers or llama farmers or tanneries or sheep ranchers or poultry farmers or camel producers or sugar beet farmers or alfalfa farmers or sunflower seed farmers or trout farmers or seaweed producers or software producers or cement plants or epoxy resin manufacturers or oil refineries or timber producers or steel manufacturers or smart phone makers or furniture builders or automakers or bicycle manufacturers or gravel pits or fast food chains or vodka distilleries or paper clip manufacturers or toilet manufacturers or textile manufacturers or illicit drug manufacturers or sword makers or swimming pool filter manufacturers…or EVEN health supplement and protein powder makers.
[/quote]

Taking the most care to protect the economics of an enterprise certainly isn’t the same thing as treating the chattel with “moral care”, kindness etc. That’s why the argument fails when it comes to slave ownership.[/quote]

Then don’t ever swat a mosquito again. They may not be chattel but smearing their precious little bodies in one fell swoop all over your arm in a gory display of “immorality” and “unkindness” obliterates the basic point you’re trying to make.

The bottom line is livestock producers don’t “torture” their animals whether for economic reasons or moral, kind ones. Or both.
[/quote]

I don’t eat probiotics cause I wouldn’t harm bacteria!

My point was to the slaves analogy and the logic of economic “taking care” and moral “taking care”-not whether feedlot owners torture their stock.

Looking back, this is the dumbest thread I’ve ever started. I regret making it. I have no idea what got into me after I watched several Vegan Gains and PETA videos.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Looking back, this is the dumbest thread I’ve ever started. I regret making it. I have no idea what got into me after I watched several Vegan Gains and PETA videos. [/quote]
Vegan gains? I can’t believe it. That dude is as repulsive as any one could possibly be. He makes icecream fitness look tame by comparrison.

After much consideration on the topic over the years, I think the most humane way to live is hunting large game. Animals live a completely natural life don’t have the stress hardships of a slaughter house, and one animal (one death) can be a tremendous amount of food. Living as a full vegan using factory farmed plants will kill far more animals than that. Second best to that is to raise your own large animal like a cow, treating it well.

If you aren’t willing to hunt or raise your own, you can have a farmer raise one for you (this generally requires knowing someone).

After these options would come vegetarian/veganism with commercially produced plants. This both kills more animals inhumanly and is worse for the environment.

[quote]Watchdog wrote:

[quote]angry chicken wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
Brick,

Given that your reservations about meat has to do with how they are raised and harvested, have you given thought to controlling that process yourself? There are essentially two options for taking responsibility for this, hunting and owning a small farm/homestead.

I’m pretty sure you live in New York city (forgive the assumption if I’m wrong - relying on memory of your posting history here) so having a small homestead may be out of the question for you right now, but how about in the future? I live in Virginia, and I have several friends who live farther out and have some animals that they raise for meat. The animals are free range, treated very well, and harvested in a humane way. But given your lifestyle and career, a small farm may not be a realistic alternative for you right now.

Which brings us to hunting. You can hunt with a firearm, or a bow. I hunt with a bow. Hunting places 100% of the responsibility of the harvest on YOU. And it’s big responsibility. I’ve gut shot a deer before and it’s a pretty shitty feeling - especially if you miss because you are taking a shot outside of your effective range (being immature and impatient). But for the most part, my shots have been very ethical and the animal has expired quickly. There are all kinds of animals that one can hunt, not just deer. There’s a season for just about everything. And what about fishing? Surely there’s nothing unethical about catching a wild salmon in a stream…

My point is, the main thing I “heard” in your post was that the thought of being part of an ignorant, consumer driven culture bothers you because of the suffering and waste that culture inadvertently creates. As a hunter, you are a steward of the environment, an honorable and “conservation” minded individual who takes 100% responsibility for making a clean and ethical kill. It’s actually kind of a spiritual experience if you have a proper mind set.

Please take this as offering alternatives, and not as criticizing your choices. What you eat is your business! But how you feel about what you eat can be entirely within your control.

Good Luck![/quote]

None of that solves the core issue which is the “killing” part that he mentioned in the first post.[/quote]

He wrote this: (emphasis mine)

My reason for doing this is purely ethical, after seeing the utterly horrifying and tear-jerking scenes on factory farms, including those for clothing.

I had been buying organic meat and eggs for some time, despite the expense because I was of the belief that so long as the animal is treated humanely while alive, it is alright for it to be killed swiftly for food in the end. I thought and sometimes still think, despite it seeming juvenile, something like, “Well, we are animals, just we humans are animals might be at the top of the food chain in some cases, and like how other animals kill animals for food, we do the same.” The counter thought I have buzzing around my head is that although that might make some sense, I believe we are at a point in which we are killing, breeding, and eating animals in such gross excess. Look at how freely people grossly over eat all food products, including blitzing though burgers, wings and blue cheese dressing while being entranced by a ball game. I myself, even being a dietitian and gymrat myself never thought about how my food wound up on my table or how clothing wound up on my body till recently.

I took this to mean he had a problem with the WAY they were killed and the gross excess of the food industry in general. I heard him say he doesn’t like the concepts of raising and breeding animals strictly for consumption and that they are not treated or harvested in a way he can support.

If I’m wrong, I’m sure he’ll let me know.

Hunting has nothing to do with any of that.

Here’s some “food for thought” ba dum pshh that addresses some of what I HEARD him saying.

[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more with what you have written. There is a huge disconnect between us and the food we eat. People turn a blind eye because they are under the assumption they need piles of cheap meat at every meal. An old timer I know surprised me recently during a conversation. We were talking about hunting and he said he used to hunt hard, but as he got older he believed killing animals himself was cruel so now he goes to the grocery store to buy a steak.

Even if you don’t care about animal welfare you should be concerned as a consumer about the meat you are getting. Time and time again, the footage from the factory farms show animals covered in feces with open sores oozing puss. Is this what you want to eat and feed your family? People don’t eat food that falls on the floor but they will happily eat meat that is processed in this manner.

Lastly, Donnie Vincent has some incredible footage from his hunts. He is the only modern day hunting personality who I can watch for more than 30 seconds. His hunts are guided and out of reach for most people due to their cost (up to $20K) but he is a class act and a great ambassador for the sport. I wish more hunters were like him and not the slobs I see out in the woods. [/quote]

Do you hunt yourself? I haven’t had the chance to read the whole thread, so you may have already addressed this, but I do hunt, and I know a lot of hunters, and though most urbanites may think of them as slobs the majority of hunters do think about issues such as what constitutes an ethical kill. Of course there are also idiots who hunt, but there are idiots involved in any and every activity.

The old timer’s attitude blows my mind. But I’m the kind of guy who would rather clean a dirty toilet myself than get somebody else to do it. And I believe that most animals killed by hunters die a more humane death and more importantly lived a more humane life than the vast majority of commercially raised livestock.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

Even if you go organic, organic farming uses animal manure for fertility.[/quote]

I did say I was going organic for awhile and then re-considered that as well, hence why I am down to eggs purchased from the farm around the corner where the chickens are not being raised for meat. [/quote]

For what it is worth, I have found a noticeable difference between eating organic and non organic food. I can taste it especially in eggs and I usually get sick to my stomach when I eat non organic red meat. I virtually stopped having inconsistent bowels when I cut down my low quality meat intake. I have been reading that a lot of American food has added antibiotics which can contribute to obeasity and destroy the colon.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
Summary of this thread so far is the title was misleading and your not really becoming a vegetarian.[/quote]

That is correct.

Now I barely post anymore on this website anymore but this thread sounded interesting and I felt the urge to post a response.

Do you hear how you sound ? I do not mean this in a condescending way at all and please look at it from an outside person’s view.

You get your source of information from online sources and some are extremists.
You are talking about going animal free - whatever that means.

To go on a Vegetarian Diet and post about it for good or bad would be a disservice to say the least to others on here, who do not remember that you are on TRT which plays a huge factor on how your body responds to any stimuli (change in diet or exercise)usually for the better. Especially when the T-levels are elevated past normal levels for your age.

BTW: Berardi never posted a follow up article to his Vegetarian experiment article here on T-Nation. I wonder why?

I am already admitting this thread was dumb, and also admitting I was… ummm… fucked up/traumatized from those PETA videos. Like they gave me a visceral reaction, made my thinking somewhat warped, and then after turning the thoughts over in my head, I realized how ridiculous this thread was! Like, what the hell was I thinking?

I know some around here might think I am nuts or something (I can assure you I am not), but for some reason–and I usually don’t have such reactions and can actually be quite cold sometimes–those videos recalled affected me very badly.

I sincerely apologize for making this thread.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
I know some around here might think I am nuts or something (I can assure you I am not), [/quote]

That’s exactly what a crazy [u][i]WOULD[/u][/i] say.

POIDH

Don’t feel bad! Somebody made an effective video. They specifically selected some images/info to get an emotional reaction from you.

I get irrationally stirred up all the time.

You’re cool, as long as you didn’t pay to join PETA.

Because you are one of the most sane, methodical, logical and conscientious posters around here, I support your decisions and life choices, Brick. The fact that you lay it all out on your sleeve openly, inviting criticism, (intentional or not), is admirable.

I’m pleased to see you openly have a change of heart, too.

Eat well!

wow has Tnation changed…5 pages and no boob pics.

where is Print when we need him?

Sigh~

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:
BTW: Berardi never posted a follow up article to his Vegetarian experiment article here on T-Nation. I wonder why?
[/quote]

Just for the record, he wrote an article after the experiment - it’s on the precision nutrition website and called “the sexiest vegetarian”.

[quote]Edgy wrote:

Sigh~[/quote]

Where is Print, indeed! And where have YOU been? :slight_smile:

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]Edgy wrote:

Sigh~[/quote]

Where is Print, indeed! And where have YOU been? :slight_smile:
[/quote]

he’s obviously been raping and pillaging and posting cat pics on reddit