Transitioning to MMA from Powerlifting/Strongman

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
Whew!!! I just did my 30 min of shadow boxing and it was a bitch! I got bored punching the air so I did really light bag work off and on throughout the session. I really didn’t think it would be that hard though. By 17 min I felt cold and shaky. I quit sweating and felt a little nauseous after 22 min. After that my punches looked horrible. I did all 30 min but it took some heart. [/quote]

The way to beat that is to give yourself an assignment - i.e., in this round I’m only going to work my jab, or my 1-2, or footwork.

You’re not likely far enough along that you can just go and “jazz” your way through it - i.e. improvise for 10 rounds and emulate the ebb and flow that a fight would have. So giving yourself an assignment is a good way to break those rounds up, and feel like you’re making progress while, at the same time, banking constructive rounds.

I used to be kind of amazed when Xen Nova, an old poster who has long since moved on, used to write about having entire workouts of shadowboxing and going for 45 minutes or an hour at a time. What good could that do, I would think.

After four or five years in the gym I realize that that’s actually as close to a fight as you’ll get outside of sparring, and the more shadowboxing you do, the better you will be in every regard.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
Whew!!! I just did my 30 min of shadow boxing and it was a bitch! I got bored punching the air so I did really light bag work off and on throughout the session. I really didn’t think it would be that hard though. By 17 min I felt cold and shaky. I quit sweating and felt a little nauseous after 22 min. After that my punches looked horrible. I did all 30 min but it took some heart. [/quote]

The way to beat that is to give yourself an assignment - i.e., in this round I’m only going to work my jab, or my 1-2, or footwork.

You’re not likely far enough along that you can just go and “jazz” your way through it - i.e. improvise for 10 rounds and emulate the ebb and flow that a fight would have. So giving yourself an assignment is a good way to break those rounds up, and feel like you’re making progress while, at the same time, banking constructive rounds.

I used to be kind of amazed when Xen Nova, an old poster who has long since moved on, used to write about having entire workouts of shadowboxing and going for 45 minutes or an hour at a time. [i]What good could that do[i], I would think.

After four or five years in the gym I realize that that’s actually as close to a fight as you’ll get outside of sparring, and the more shadowboxing you do, the better you will be in every regard. [/quote]

This is all very interesting to me since I’ve only trained in traditional arts and they do everything so differently. I found myself breaking up the shadow boxing like you mentioned above just to have something to focus on in my head. I would also try to envision common scenarios that I would have to defend and counter against and would work that in circles for a few minutes. After I got the hang of it I’d make my way over to the bag and throw that combo for speed and then a I’d throw a few bombs. I definitely see how this would be a beneficial way to train so I will make it the focus of my striking training until it is no longer my weak point. I’ll start a log in the combat section later today.