Transitioning to Bodybuilding Training

here’s a few photos of where i am currently at. have been consistently doing a mix of crossfit and strength training for 4 years. i am trying to transition into a more body building/lifting based program but don’t have much experience in info so. any suggestions on programs splits and any general advice in making the training change would be greatly appreciated. sorry no before photos.

I recommend sticking to your strength training base and adding in hypertrophy training as ‘assistance work’. I do this with a 5/3/1 and Rest-Pause hypertrophy assistance work… modalities of training aren’t really all that different.

Do you plan on leaning out? I assume you want to be lean, considering you’ve got BBing goals.

1 Like

are you more interested in PPL, upper lower, or full body?

What do you like doing?

I would also recommend getting lean first - that will help you determine what to work on as well. Do you intend to compete?

no intentions to compete. i like doing all the big lifts. love squat days. i like intense conditioning habing the crossfit background. i have out on about 10 lbs in the last 10 weeks or so since easing out of the crossfit. have kind of just been “winging” my workouts. hitting everything atleast once a week legs usually twice. biggest advice i believe i am looking for is just a steady regimen to follow. strength and muscle growth had stalled out following the crossfit training which lead me to switch it up.

1 Like

i have been doing something along the lines of ppl have access to free weights, dumbbells and kettlebells. looking for a constitent plan to follow. train hard but i know i can be more effiecient then just winging it day to day.

1 Like

This is my favorite, and very “big lift” focused:

1 Like

you’ll need paper and pencil. everything you need is here.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I follow. Strength training and bodybuilding are more or less synonymous. Obviously cross fit is a different beast. I’m confused as to what you’ve focused on more over the past couple years. As a cross fitter of 4 years, you should be leaner. As far as strength training, you look like you may hit the gym but clearly you are out eating or drinking your calories.

My advice, to make the most progress in the least time, is to learn nutrition. Figure out your TDEE and experiment with macros and calorie reduction.

3 Likes

i have been following crossfit based programming. typical session looks like 20-30 mins of strength work followed by a 5-20 metabolic workout. with more emphasis being on the conditioning part of the day, sometimes doubling up on the conditioning and no strength work at all. i have been lean before (20 lbs lighter but not with the strength or muscle mass i desire).

everyone i train around does crossfit and i have never trained a strictly lifting program. last 2-3 months have backed off the conditioning and been lifting hard gained roughly 10 lbs but haven’t been following a set workout schedule due to knowledge and experience. looking for suggested splits and programs i could follow to help me be more efficient. going to be working on leaning back down soon as well.

Here

1 Like

The JP series has been great, ive been doing the full body for the past 3 weeks and feel incredible on it.

3 Likes

I’ll have to look into this at some point. Long videos without slides (like you see in RP videos) give me anxiety… but if I’m hearing good things about it from @throwawayfitness and @kd13, it’s gotta be worth checking out.

Maybe when I get bored of 531 and DoggCrapp (which might be never lol).

3 Likes

This is the first I’d seen of it - I’m intrigued

1 Like

There are multiple split options, the full body is 1 set to failure per body part. Here is a sample two days…

But honestly so much good stuff in every video in terms of progression, exercise selection, execution.

3 Likes

Here you go.

the order of the movements is important.

you know more about training than I do, you will know of better/different movements than the list I came up with to choose from

jordan peters full body

M-W-F

session A ---- heavy (6-10) upper body and light (15-25) lower body.

session B ---- light (15-25) upper and heavy (6-10) lower.

session C ---- heavy (6-10) upper body and light (15-25) lower body

session D ---- light (15-25) upper and heavy (6-10) lower

pick one chest focus movement ---- incline bench, db press, Push-Up, Barbell Flat Bench Press

pick one shoulder focused movement ---- seated db press, ohp, fly, Seated Barbell Press

pick one tricep focused movement ---- dip, cable push down, Dumbbell Overhead Triceps Extension, Cable Overhead Extension with Rope, SSB JM Press

pick one lat bias movement (elbows close) ---- cable lat raise, ntrl pullups, barbell row, chest supported row, db row

pick one upper back thickness focused movement (elbows wide) ---- ntrl pullups, barbell row, chest supported row, db row

pick one side delt isolation movement ---- Dumbbell Side Lateral Raises, One-Arm Cable Raise, Seated Arnold Press, fly

pick one tricep isolation movement ---- single arm tricep push down

pick one bicep isolation movement ---- cable curl, preacher curl, db curl, barbell curl

hamstring ---- leg curl, rdl, db rdl

quad compound ---- squat, leg press

quad isolation ---- leg extension

calf ---- standing calf raise

abs ---- cable ab crunch, roman chair

A

Barbell Flat Bench Press 315x6-10
ohp 160x6-10
cable push down 50x8-12
barbell row 225x6-10
Dumbbell Side Lateral Raises 25x8-12
single arm tricep push down 10x8-12
barbell curl 50x8-12
leg curl 45x15-25
squat 240x15-25
leg extension 25x15-25
standing calf raise 50
cable ab crunch 20x25

B

leg curl 90x6-10
squat 330x6-10
leg extension 50x6-10
standing calf raise 50
roman chair 60x6-10
db press 60x15-25
Seated Barbell Press 140x15-25
Dumbbell Overhead Triceps Extension 40x15-25
db row 60x15-25
Seated Arnold Press 25x8-12
db curl 25x8-12

C

incline bench 300x6-10
seated db press 60x6-10
Cable Overhead Extension with Rope ?x8-12
chest supported row 250x6-10
fly 25x8-12
preacher curl 90x8-12
leg curl 45x15-25
squat 240x15-25
leg extension 25x15-25
standing calf raise 50
cable ab crunch 20x25

D

leg curl 90x6-10
squat 330x6-10
leg extension 50x6-10
standing calf raise 50
roman chair 60x6-10
Push-Up BW x ?
fly 35x15-25
dip bw x 25
ntrl pullups bw x ?
One-Arm Cable Raise 10x8-12
cable curl 10x8-12

4 Likes

thanks i will check them all out.

1 Like

i watched the video on full body training. very interesting. not the method i was expecting to get from this post, but really spoke to me in terms of not knowing what to do and bouncing around. i’m going to give it a go. few questions. so is that it the 3 days per week. can/should add in any type of gap workout or possibly a conditioning day? also would this be ideal to do during a leaning out phase and just adjust macros accordingly? thanks again for all the responses.

Wow, thank you for taking the time to do this writeup.

Question:
It specifies 3x/wk but has 4 days, am I correct to think this means it would work as follows?
Week 1: A, B, C
Week 2: D, A, B
Week 3: C, D, A
Week 4: B, C, D
repeat?

If you’re able to recover, yes. If not, maybe no extra work.
^Zone 3 Cardio is pretty low impact and can also burn extra calories/help recovery… Doubtful this would ‘hurt’ to incorporate.

1 Like

I absolutely would. If bodybuilding “style” is the goal right now, conditioning for us is about being lean and being able to hand more volume in the gym (I’m a “conditioning is specific” kind of jerk). So you want to build endurance without talking away from your lifting. Anything low-impact is friendly to me (like the aforementioned Zone 3 cardio). I’d also look at things like the sled or bike sprints - you can get a little more leg volume in without greatly increasing recovery costs; that way your main days get to have more upper body volume, as the gods intended.

In terms of gap workouts, I think you can always do more abs and calves without impacting anything. My lower back and shoulders can’t take much, so I’m careful with any extra volume there. My elbows get cranky, but I have been experimenting with BFR training for extra arm volume and that’s not bothering them. I would definitely caution to not add stuff until you actually need it - you’re more likely to go backwards. Abs and cardio would be my default.