T Nation

Transition Questions

Well right now I’m Starting the last week of phase 2 of Ian King’s 12 weeks to super strength program and am starting to plan what i am going to do afterwords (i like to plan ahead, gives me something to do)I know i wanna do a fat fast for 4-6 weeks(yes, i know it will prolyl only go to 3-4 but i like to set high goals) at some point before the summer time so i look good on the beaches. Right now my diet consists of everything i see plus 3-4 protein shakes in between and 10 grams of flax/fish oil daily. I’m currently supplementing with creatine and when i can afford it, surge(post work out drink otherwise is a protein shake and some cell-tech i swipe from a friend). I weigh 285-290 lbs at a bodyfat % of 20% determined via navy measurment table. I’m 19 years old and have been training on and off since the age of 15 or 16. My question is should i slide right into meltdown/fat fast after my 12 week program or slide into a higher intensity program for 4-6 weeks (lots of singles, speed work, etc.) to sort of solidify my strength/size gains i just picked up? I’m just looking for any ideas on either the diet, transition phase, anything. thanx

-USCG Dog

Hi, USCG Dog! Just some of my quick thoughts. . .

What’s going to give you the most bang for your buck (i.e., the greatest results for your efforts/time) is getting your diet right, not the workout you do. It’s time to start a food log. Make sure you’re getting enough protein, 1.5g of protein per pound of LBM (roughly 345g of protein), divided into 7 or 8 meals. The reason I say 7 or 8 meals is that you’ll get the greatest benefit at under 50g of protein per sitting. Getting enough protein will help you build muscle (if you’re eating maintenance calories plus), but more importantly, it will help you preserve LBM when you’re dieting and eating maintenance calories minus. So whether you’re bulking or dieting, GET YOUR PROTEIN!!!

I don’t know whether you live on base or not, but if you have access to a kitchen, you could cook up a mess of chicken, salmon, beef, pork, etc., pre-package it and freeze it into meal-sized portions and take your meals with you for the day. It’s the only way you can be assured of getting what you need when you need it.

The reason I’m discussing diet is that you could lose 29 pounds between now and summer and not have to go through the agony of FF. FF will help you drop weight, but won’t teach you how to eat, manage macronutrient percentages, manipulate caloric intake, etc. FF is a quick fix, the latter, taking control of your diet, will allow you to manage your body composition for the rest of your life.

All that said, if you decide to do FF, take a look at a 5x5 strength program. Some have had good results with Meltdown on FF, but many found that their low glycogen levels on FF made it difficult to impossible to get through the program. I do low carbs most of the time (with carb refeeds) and I had difficulty with Meltdown. Unfortunately, with low glycogen levels, you may have difficulty just keeping up with your work duties.

Whatever you do, the best of luck to you, sir!

thanx alot for the feedback…guess i’ll have to buy a foreman grill cause we have no kitchen here! Anyway, i haven’t kept a food log in about 2 years, and i have a question…where can i find a site online where i can get approximate calories for certain foods, because when you eat in the galley, they don’t exactly post the nutritional info…being able to look up an 8 oz serving of hamburger meat and get the nutritional info is what i need.
thanks again

-USCG Dog

p.s. don’t call me sir, i work for a living :wink:

USCG Dog, I’m going to provide you with a link that will answer all your food log questions. Chris Shugart wrote it, and it’s alternately called “The Missing Link” and “The Lazy (or Busy) Man’s Guide to Food Logs.” It’s actually not that big a deal. It takes me less than 5 minutes a day to track my carbs, protein, fat and calories because I tend to eat a lot of the same things over and over again. www.testosterone.net/articles/162miss2.html

Re the “sir” issue, oops, I know better. That term is reserved for ossifers, if I remember correctly. (grin) On a more serious note, it’s probably that I had a couple of roommates that were in the CG when I was in San Diego, and I really appreciate the job they, you and all our service men are doing in defense of our country. T’won’t happen again.

Knowing a little more about your situation, the George Foreman Grill is a great idea. I would also (for convenience’s sake) recommend that you use a high-quality protein (like Grow) or MRPs to meet some of your protein requirements. Eat your meals at the galley and try to get some more protein evenly spaced around those meals. Remember, you should never let more than four hours go by without taking in some protein. And since your protein requirements are high, try to get 50 grams every 2.5 to 3 hours (with at least one middle-of-the-night feeding).

There are some online resources that list nutritional, caloric and macronutrient breakdown. I’ve seen them posted here on the forum. Just do a search. But I would additionally recommend that you invest in a nutritional desk reference ($17 +/-). You may not be able to go online to look something up. Myself, if I’m not packing my food and taking it with me, I pack my nutritional desk reference and take IT.

And congratulations on being willing to keep a food log. You won’t always need to use it, but it will teach you a lot about hidden calories. And if 20 years down the road things are getting a bit out of control, you’ll have a familiar tool that will get you back on course.

Thanx alot! I appriciate everything…keep in touch on the forums my man!
-USCG Dog

Ab-so-darn-lutely! You’re most welcome.