Transition Back Into Lifting

So…I have been lifting for 3 years (1 year seriously) but recently have had trouble adapting to my school schedule. Right now I am entering my last semester in college and was wondering what good tips I can get for staying in shape but also not spending to much time in the gym.

so some background
entering fall semester I weight 208 lbs. was taking my protein and was finishing creatine (took it for the first time). the basic lifts
bench:275
squat: 365
Deadlift: 415
others:
dips:135
should press: 80

that was entering september and from a 3 day split with chest/back, shoulders/arms, and legs with around 4-7 exercises for each session and each exercise consisted of 4 sets (12,10,8,6).of course these are in pounds and these weren’t the only exercises I was doing, obviously.

anyways it came to a point where I was stuck in the lab most days working on projects and I couldn’t balance my schedule. So…I stopped working out and well dropped a bunch of weight (18lbs) b/c of diet change and lost a ton of muscle. so what is the best split. upper lower? or should I go more for 3 day? or should I try something different. I want to stay in shape but probably will only have an hour a day to workout if that.

Best tips for staying in shape without spending a great deal of time?

Full body workouts.

2x/week.

30 min each.

Squat each time.
Bench and Row one time,
Military press and chinup the other time.

Go for as many sets as you can get in. I like to work in sets 5-6 reps.

Make sure at least one or two of your meals is pretty high in protein (50+ grams).

You probably won’t make graet gains, but it should keep you in shape while you do great research.

I just read that you have an hour a day to workout. Dude, you got no excuse with that amount of time.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Best tips for staying in shape without spending a great deal of time?

Full body workouts.

2x/week.

30 min each.

Squat each time.
Bench and Row one time,
Military press and chinup the other time.

Go for as many sets as you can get in. I like to work in sets 5-6 reps.

Make sure at least one or two of your meals is pretty high in protein (50+ grams).

You probably won’t make graet gains, but it should keep you in shape while you do great research.[/quote]
All solid advice for “staying in shape.” I’d tweak a thing or two, but this basic format wouldn’t steer you wrong.

Absolutely agree. An hour a day, three days a week is plenty to see solid results in hypertrophy (Wait, did I just sound like a Bowflex commercial?)

I’d reckon that the majority of programs on this site would either fit the bill exactly, or could fit with minor adjustments.

When you say you don’t have much time for the gym, does that mean you don’t have time available in your daily schedule to train? Or time available to get to the physical gym? A super-basic set-up in your room/apartment might help to open up some training schedule options.

Also… an 80 pound shoulder press? Is that just a typo, with dumbbells, or do you have peculiarly weak shoulders?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
All solid advice for “staying in shape.” I’d tweak a thing or two, but this basic format wouldn’t steer you wrong.
[/quote]

An hour is A LOT of time to get through any type of workout.

Is that an hour to spend in the gym?

Or is that an hour to get to the gym, gymitup and then get back?