T Nation

Transformers 3

I saw it, I liked it, and I agree with Ponce that they really thumped the whole moral compass idea way too much. Glad Megan Fox was not in this one, and her replacement was not bad to look at. Also the Jeff Wang thing was lame.

Pure cheese. 3D was well done. Bits of decent action.

Wouldn’t recommend

I just got back from watching it, I want my money back. They should be paying me to sit through that piece of shit.

How many times did that damn building fall anyways.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
Damn… after reading this I might just wait to see it on DVD. I’ll probably opt for Green Lantern or Super 8 instead. But setting the plot and all that shit aside did any of you see it in 3D? Is it worth watching just for the action and 3d?[/quote]

I saw it in IMAX 3D. I’d like to go back and watch it in RealD 3D also, to see if its different/better.

It looked like. . . a movie shot in 3D, which is kind of like a supermodel with breast implants: still flat, but sticking out in places. It didn’t seem to pop out at me much, but it didn’t hurt. I kind of want to go watch the non-3D version also, so I’ve got a mental comparison in the future of the different versions.

The movie, as a whole, was still AWESOME though. Worth watching on the big screen.

question - how many of you grew up watching the ORIGINAL animated series? and how many of you saw the expendables and complained?

to the people complaining about the autobots acting like humans, they’ve been on the planet for awhile now - don’t you think they’d pick up some of our mannerisms?

I’m not going to argue people’s opinions but what were you honestly expecting from this movie? Schindler’s list? Btw this is better than super 8, super 8’s ending kind of killed the movie for me. it’s better than first class - kevin bacon was over the top

SPOILER

I have no idea how they plan to do another one after killing soundwave, starscream and megatron. If one lived then it would make sense they could do a sequel(I was hoping they’d try to remake the original animated movie(possibly my favourite movie of all time))

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
Damn… after reading this I might just wait to see it on DVD. I’ll probably opt for Green Lantern or Super 8 instead. But setting the plot and all that shit aside did any of you see it in 3D? Is it worth watching just for the action and 3d?[/quote]

Green Lantern is not worth your time or money either.

Super 8 wasnt bad.

[quote]jwesus wrote:
question - how many of you grew up watching the ORIGINAL animated series? and how many of you saw the expendables and complained?

to the people complaining about the autobots acting like humans, they’ve been on the planet for awhile now - don’t you think they’d pick up some of our mannerisms?

I’m not going to argue people’s opinions but what were you honestly expecting from this movie? Schindler’s list? Btw this is better than super 8, super 8’s ending kind of killed the movie for me. it’s better than first class - kevin bacon was over the top

SPOILER

I have no idea how they plan to do another one after killing soundwave, starscream and megatron. If one lived then it would make sense they could do a sequel(I was hoping they’d try to remake the original animated movie(possibly my favourite movie of all time))[/quote]

I saw Expendables and liked it a lot. A LOT. It didn’t try to be anything beyond what its face value portrayed.

First Class was better than this. Super 8 was better even though the ending was campy (I don’t think it was bad enough to “kill” the movie for me, no way).

Again, the pacing of this movie sucked. As soon as it ended and lights came on, EVERYONE in the third was laughing like, “Really? Did I just pay to see THAT?”

We need to start a Fuck Michael Bay campaign.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:

We need to start a Fuck Michael Bay campaign.
[/quote]
Say what you will about the man but not all directors can anchor big budget movies like he can. It takes a certain type of talent to be able to organize all the shit you need to organize to get movies of the size he has worked with to roll on. I mean just look at the situation with Aronofsky and Wolverine 2. He pulled out because he couldn’t commit to being away from his family for 6 month. He realised how demanding it is to get a big production project from inception to post production and release.

And how the heck did Sam end up with Micaela’s dog? Seriously- that dog that was in the garage with Micaela in part 2, how did it end up going with Sam when the broke up and ended up on Sams porch?

I MUST KNOWWW!!! WHY???

[quote]jwesus wrote:
question - how many of you grew up watching the ORIGINAL animated series? and how many of you saw the expendables and complained?

to the people complaining about the autobots acting like humans, they’ve been on the planet for awhile now - don’t you think they’d pick up some of our mannerisms?

I’m not going to argue people’s opinions but what were you honestly expecting from this movie? Schindler’s list? Btw this is better than super 8, super 8’s ending kind of killed the movie for me. it’s better than first class - kevin bacon was over the top[/quote]

(some spoilers below)

I didn’t like The Expendables neither and it has nothing to do with plot, character development or anything like that. I want intense and LONG fights, good rhythm, etc.
TF3 had nothing of this. The action scenes were not so cool as I expected them to be. The Expendables had the same thing, trying too hard maybe. They are few guys against an entire army and it doesn’t feel epic, why? Maybe it’s the camera work or something. John Matrix taking down that entire South American army in Commando was great! Cheesy, but great.

Maybe it’s because the entire collapsing building scene felt stupid or because the Primes fight was like, 3 seconds long, let’s cut 10 minutes to the rocket launcher team that never shot, Primes talking while fighting, hit with the sword, hit it back…let’s go back to 15 minutes of humans. Megatron fooled by the girl? I’m not an expert in Transformers (I even parodied myself in my first post in this thread by using the wrong name), but that felt ridiculous…and then he gets killed in one hit.

Maybe it’s because I’m getting older, but I like movies less and less in general.
In the last years I’ve just liked Inception (the entire action in different layers was perfect), Black Dynamite and Kick Ass.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:

We need to start a Fuck Michael Bay campaign.
[/quote]
Say what you will about the man but not all directors can anchor big budget movies like he can. It takes a certain type of talent to be able to organize all the shit you need to organize to get movies of the size he has worked with to roll on. I mean just look at the situation with Aronofsky and Wolverine 2. He pulled out because he couldn’t commit to being away from his family for 6 month. He realised how demanding it is to get a big production project from inception to post production and release.[/quote]

So should we give him a golf clap? A “well, it wasn’t a great movie but KUDOS for the ATTEMPT!” No, come on.

You’re a director. I don’t give you credit for going with such a big production versus a smaller production. None of that shit. Bay should’ve done what Favreau did with Iron Man fans: solicited their input to stay as true to the original as possible.

FMB - Fuck. Michael. Bay.

Dude fucked up this movie, big time.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:

We need to start a Fuck Michael Bay campaign.
[/quote]
Say what you will about the man but not all directors can anchor big budget movies like he can. It takes a certain type of talent to be able to organize all the shit you need to organize to get movies of the size he has worked with to roll on. I mean just look at the situation with Aronofsky and Wolverine 2. He pulled out because he couldn’t commit to being away from his family for 6 month. He realised how demanding it is to get a big production project from inception to post production and release.[/quote]

So should we give him a golf clap? A “well, it wasn’t a great movie but KUDOS for the ATTEMPT!” No, come on.

You’re a director. I don’t give you credit for going with such a big production versus a smaller production. None of that shit. Bay should’ve done what Favreau did with Iron Man fans: solicited their input to stay as true to the original as possible.

FMB - Fuck. Michael. Bay.

Dude fucked up this movie, big time.[/quote]

How much can you really blame him though? I mean, he makes this crap and millions of people pay to see it, so what’s his motivation to do anything differently? If you don’t like him, don’t pay to see his films.

(In case it’s unclear from my post, I hate Michael Bay and all of his shitty movies. Will not be seeing Transformers 3.)

Also, EXPLOSIONS!!!

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:

We need to start a Fuck Michael Bay campaign.
[/quote]
Say what you will about the man but not all directors can anchor big budget movies like he can. It takes a certain type of talent to be able to organize all the shit you need to organize to get movies of the size he has worked with to roll on. I mean just look at the situation with Aronofsky and Wolverine 2. He pulled out because he couldn’t commit to being away from his family for 6 month. He realised how demanding it is to get a big production project from inception to post production and release.[/quote]

So should we give him a golf clap? A “well, it wasn’t a great movie but KUDOS for the ATTEMPT!” No, come on.

You’re a director. I don’t give you credit for going with such a big production versus a smaller production. None of that shit. Bay should’ve done what Favreau did with Iron Man fans: solicited their input to stay as true to the original as possible.

FMB - Fuck. Michael. Bay.

Dude fucked up this movie, big time.[/quote]

I’m no Michael Bay fan, just trying to be fair and balanced - like Fox News lol.

Didn’t Bay direct Bad Boys? Personally I’m a fan of that franchise. I also thought the Rock was good.

I guess you could say makes Bay makes “cool” movies, like the ones people want to see. Now they could be bombs critically but why does that matter when you’re raking in millions at the box office.

I understand, but that logic–“at least the movie is bringing in millions!”–would only be valid if we all got a cut of the profits :slight_smile:

I could also argue that it’s not so much that he makes “cool” movies but, in the case of Transformers 3, he’s banking on the fanbase’s investment in the franchise: if you saw 1 and 2, you will most likely see 3. Note that I say “most likely,” because we’re talking about a bell curve here; my buddy saw the first 2 and refused to see the third stating that it’d likely be crap.

If this was T1 and it was as awful as T3, you still couldn’t say people saw it because it was a “cool” Michael Bay film; there’s clearly an element of nostalgia that’s attracting viewers who want to see what modern day Hollywood would do to their childhood fantasy world. Get what I mean?

There’s a difference between having good taste in picking out individual element and how you bring it all together; that takes vision and a sense of aesthetic/storytelling that, in my opinion, Bay simply LACKS or at least it’s muted by his lust for individually “cool” elements (explosions, violence, etc.)

He gets distracted by the lower level stuff like you would going to a grocery store with a grocery list, but coming home with more items that weren’t on the list than what you originally intended to buy because your mind just wandered off.

You can’t just coalesce EVERYTHING no matter what they are; they have to fit a greater context and that shouldn’t be esoteric or disconnected from the subject matter (i.e., a context that makes sense in the realm of TRANFORMERS).

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
SPOILERS (do we really need to say it?)
3) What the fuck is up with the cheesy speech about freedom and shit from Optimus? I don’t some fucking moral compass bullshit.

.[/quote]
OPtimus Prime’s saying on the back of his original is “Freedom is the right of all sentient beings” that’s why he always gives freedom speeches it’s what he was always about.

[quote]jwesus wrote:
question - how many of you grew up watching the ORIGINAL animated series? and how many of you saw the expendables and complained?

to the people complaining about the autobots acting like humans, they’ve been on the planet for awhile now - don’t you think they’d pick up some of our mannerisms?

I’m not going to argue people’s opinions but what were you honestly expecting from this movie? Schindler’s list? Btw this is better than super 8, super 8’s ending kind of killed the movie for me. it’s better than first class - kevin bacon was over the top

SPOILER

I have no idea how they plan to do another one after killing soundwave, starscream and megatron. If one lived then it would make sense they could do a sequel(I was hoping they’d try to remake the original animated movie(possibly my favourite movie of all time))[/quote]
Grew up with the original I even remember that they where a comic before a cartoon(all the original bios where written by Marvel Comics). Now saying that I can also say that most people remember the cartoon and it did have it’s share of cheese factor there was continuity character development and a mostly linear storyline. After the cartoon was cancelled the comic went on in America, the toyline lasted another 3-4 years, and there was a cartoon in Japan which continued said storylines character development and linear storytelling. I will put the original Transformers movie from '86 up against any of the Bay movies and it will destroy it, the cartoon stills holds up today as far as story and animation is better than a lot of the stuff out now. Don’t believe me check out the trailer.

As far as The Expendables goes I knew what I was getting into watching this film Stallone said he wanted an action film from the 80’s and he got it, it was Rambo 3 with a little Commando thrown in. I like those films for what they where, and to compare these two films isn’t fair. With the Transformers there is a rich storyline that goes beyond the toys, cartoons, or comics, with The Expendables it was a Stathan Stallone love fest

I thought that the Expendables was really kind of lacking… Something. Length? Pacing? Seemed rushed, many of the cast not really getting their chance to shine? Apart from the automatic shotgun scene, most of the fights were bleh.
As far as mindless action movies go, IMO Statham’s Crank movies did it all much better (also much better than his transporter movies).

Also… Considering that the most recent Rambo was surprisingly bloody, Expendables felt like a PG13 flick or something. Again, one or two scenes where that wasn’t the case, but mostly it just didn’t feel right somehow…

As for Transformers… I sort of grew up with them as well, but getting the comics regularly was difficult back in the day over here.

I think that Michael Bay should just stick to promoting movies/getting the money together to make them… And someone else should do the directing.
I really don’t care too much about the plot per se. It’s fucking Transformers.

BUT Bay HAS NO FUCKING CLUE HOW TO DIRECT ACTION SCENES! Jesus! That is his one greatest fucking weakness. I can take a movie that never lets up with the explosions and stuff.
The problems however, as I see them:

  1. The biggest badass Transformers either kick EVERYONES ass easy, OR DIE IN ONE HIT (more or less, see Optimus in the second) when the plot wants it… Or something like that… I.e., the actual fights don’t seem to have any real underlying rules of how much damage each weapon does relatively and so on, it’s just totally random… (but this is far less of a problem compared to the second thing I’m about to mention)

  2. (and this is the big issue)
    Bay does not have any sense of… I dunno, situational awareness /overall awareness of how a battle should play out… If you compare the movie battle scene, (say the big desert fight in the second movie) to what you’d see in a computer game for example… Is that bay does not really direct a batlle scene, but rather just goes “oh, it would be cool if we suddenly cut to some human tanks who shoot a decepticon… Oh, now let’s have some random decepticon take a potshot at whatever (while everything else apparently comes to a standstill or something)”… “oh, now let’s have some ship shoot it’s railgun”… The thing is, whatever Bay isn’t currently focusing on is often forgotten completely…

You don’t get the sense that there are really X amount of decepticons moving against a handful of autobots and an organized force of humans. It’s just random scenes thrown together, that Decepticon shooting a second ago is never seen again and apparently never does anything again, etc, he just came out of hammerspace, fired a shot, and vanished again forever.

I don’t know if I’m expressing my thoughts well enough here… Anyway… It just doesn’t feel like a battle, more like a movie trailer of multiple engagements or something?

If you play a war (computer) game, there will be an actual battle going on, with 2 sides of which your PC/console constantly keeps track of, they don’t just appear and disappear at random for the sake of coolness (though you can get that too in other games, sort of, with enemies suddenly spawning behind you etc… But point is, considering that Bay loves battle scenes, he really should get a clue as to how to direct them in a fashion that is less random…

And please, if you give Human troops so much screen-time in a movie about Robots, at least think for a few minutes about what tactics and weapons they’d likely end up using. Bay is just like a little boy playing with toy transformers/GI Joes in the sandbox… Just randomly banging the figurines together and declaring one or the other dead and making explosion sounds).

Was Bay ever in the Army (if anyone knows) ?

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:

[quote]jwesus wrote:
question - how many of you grew up watching the ORIGINAL animated series? and how many of you saw the expendables and complained?

to the people complaining about the autobots acting like humans, they’ve been on the planet for awhile now - don’t you think they’d pick up some of our mannerisms?

I’m not going to argue people’s opinions but what were you honestly expecting from this movie? Schindler’s list? Btw this is better than super 8, super 8’s ending kind of killed the movie for me. it’s better than first class - kevin bacon was over the top

SPOILER

I have no idea how they plan to do another one after killing soundwave, starscream and megatron. If one lived then it would make sense they could do a sequel(I was hoping they’d try to remake the original animated movie(possibly my favourite movie of all time))[/quote]

I saw Expendables and liked it a lot. A LOT. It didn’t try to be anything beyond what its face value portrayed.

First Class was better than this. Super 8 was better even though the ending was campy (I don’t think it was bad enough to “kill” the movie for me, no way).

Again, the pacing of this movie sucked. As soon as it ended and lights came on, EVERYONE in the third was laughing like, “Really? Did I just pay to see THAT?”

We need to start a Fuck Michael Bay campaign.
[/quote]

I will join the Fuck Michael Bay Campaign! Seal team 6’s next target?

[quote]John S. wrote:

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:

[quote]jwesus wrote:
question - how many of you grew up watching the ORIGINAL animated series? and how many of you saw the expendables and complained?

to the people complaining about the autobots acting like humans, they’ve been on the planet for awhile now - don’t you think they’d pick up some of our mannerisms?

I’m not going to argue people’s opinions but what were you honestly expecting from this movie? Schindler’s list? Btw this is better than super 8, super 8’s ending kind of killed the movie for me. it’s better than first class - kevin bacon was over the top

SPOILER

I have no idea how they plan to do another one after killing soundwave, starscream and megatron. If one lived then it would make sense they could do a sequel(I was hoping they’d try to remake the original animated movie(possibly my favourite movie of all time))[/quote]

I saw Expendables and liked it a lot. A LOT. It didn’t try to be anything beyond what its face value portrayed.

First Class was better than this. Super 8 was better even though the ending was campy (I don’t think it was bad enough to “kill” the movie for me, no way).

Again, the pacing of this movie sucked. As soon as it ended and lights came on, EVERYONE in the third was laughing like, “Really? Did I just pay to see THAT?”

We need to start a Fuck Michael Bay campaign.
[/quote]

I will join the Fuck Michael Bay Campaign! Seal team 6’s next target?[/quote]

How about a “let’s educate Michael Bay on how to be a better director, he’s got the money-part down pat already” -campaign? Too long?

LOL review in the local paper

“Michael Bay continues his war on humanity with third Transformers entry”

Review then proceeded to rip it to shit