Transform like Optimus Prime!

Decided to make a log on TNation to document my training from here on out until I hit all my major goals. Over the last few years I’ve just messed around and never took training too seriously. But after being around successful people I know the only thing that matters is hard work and putting in the time/work with no excuses.

After reading through 50+ logs and coming to grips with what my goals are this will be plan moving forward.

I listened to this video today from Elliot Hulse:

It hit me right in the gut. I will be doing this program for one WHOLE calendar year and not making any changes. I might adjust volume on certain days but that’s it! I live in Colorado. If I ever get snowed in, I’ll just do BW stuff at my apartment.

I’m going to auto-regulate, but push for more weight, more reps, less rest times as time goes on.

My program will be:

DAY 1
Snatch
Back Squat
Bench Press (SS: Rows)
Core
Conditioning

DAY 2
Clean & Press
Front Squat
Clean Deadlift (SS: Dips)
Core
Conditioning

DAY 3
Clean & Jerk
Back Squat
Overhead Press (SS: Pullups)
Core
Conditioning

On days that things come up that I only have a very short period of time to workout, I will do the following or shift training to the next day depending on the situation. Hopefully those are very few days this happens.

Squat (SS: Pull Ups)
Dips (SS: Core)
KB Swings

Workouts should last ~90 minutes which is perfect for me.

2 Likes

Looks good man. Can’t wait to see your progress!

1 Like

Best of luck! A full year on program takes dedication and determination. Not just the physical, but keeping on task and maintaining that goal. Some (myself included) get program ADD and wander off course. Stick with it.

1 Like

I would say that since you have snatches, you could ditch the RDLs-- and on your second day you have, you could also do the same with the GHRs since you have C&J and deadlifts. That is plenty of work for your posterior on its own. You’re doing a lot of big lifts throughout the week. I don’t think it is necessary for you to do those right now, save your recovery for the big stuff that you have going on. Just my observations of course, if you enjoy what you’re doing, by all means keep going.

1 Like

Totally agree with @Evolv Great log though

2 Likes

I would just be very careful having so much stuff. It really doesn’t take a lot of different exercises, the important thing is to have the fewest things as possible and hit them hard.

You could really get away with this:

DAY 1
Snatch
Back Squat
Overhead Press (SS: Rows)
Core
Conditioning

DAY 2
Snatch/C&J (Power Versions: alternate weekly)
Clean Deadlift (SS: Dips)
Front Squat
Core
Conditioning

DAY 3
Clean & Jerk
Back Squat
Overhead Press (SS: Pullups)
Core
Conditioning

That right there should be plenty. If you give those exercises all of your attention each day you will get strong. Leave yourself room so you can consistently train hard every day, for the next 52 weeks.

Also, a note on conditioning, take it easy on it for awhile. Slowly build it up. If I am trying to get strong, I don’t like to use barbell complexes because it is redundant on the lifts that I am already training heavy. Instead, I find things like sled pushing and pulling, tire flips, sprinting, hill sprints, ropes, kettle bell work, etcetera to be better alternatives for conditioning.

2 Likes

Thanks man appreciate it! Excited to progress!

1 Like

Squats look fine. With your lifting shoes, you will be golden.

1 Like

WEEK 1 - DAY 1

Core (Weighted Decline SItup + Back Hypers)
+10 x 20
+10 x 20
+10 x 20

Squat Clean
135x2
135x2
135x2
135x2
135x2
135x2
135x2
135x2

Back Squat (Did sets of 3 ng pull ups in between)
135x5
155x5
175x5 (PR!)
175x5 (PR!)
175x5 (PR!)
135x10

Overhead Press
95x5
105x5
115x5
95x10

BB Row
135x5
135x5
135x5
135x5
135x5
115x20

Conditioning
KB Swings + Push Ups = 5 Rounds (25 swings + 10 Push Ups)

Great workout today. In the past I’ve always made the best strength gains when doing my core work right in the beginning. I think it really activates everything (abs, obliques, lower back, glutes, hamstrings) so when you get into the Cleans & Squats everything just feels much tighter and better. Works well for me.

I did 175lbs in my back squats. Felt REALLY powerful and explosive. I think the oly shoes + doing core in the beginning had me primed to go. I really focused on keeping my body tight. I really like doing a few pull ups between squatting. I think the compressing + decompressing of the spine really saves you from feeling beat up. Overhead press felt fine, one of my favorite lifts ever. I’ll mess with going heavy and also doing lower weight for higher reps/sets. Rows felt really good, but my lower back was definitely fatigued. No way I Could superset OHP + BB Row. I think if i was going to super set I’d have to use a DB.

My condition flat out is horrible. I literally was dying when do the swings + pushups back to the back non stop for 5 rounds. But i honestly think once my conditioning level is up, I’m going to be able to workout much harder and burn some of this excess fat I have.

I have the same experience.Warming up with one ab and 1-2 posterior chain movements really gets me ready for all the squatting that follows

Also congrats on your pr bro

Thanks man appreciate that!

Yeah man definitely going to do core work at the start. My squats feel so much more stable when I do that.

I wonder who told you to do such a thing?!? Finally got around to checking your log. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Your plan looks really solid!

Haha appreciate it man! KB swings are no joke. My lungs are on fire by the end of the 3rd round!

For anyone following:

What is the minimum amount of calories I should be eating? I’m trying to hover around ~2500 day in and day out.

I have 20-30% bf and I weight 172lbs. I want to obviously get a shit ton stronger, but I also want to lean up because I have this whole “skinny fat” thing going right now.

How closely should I be paying attention to the scale? Should I just stay at 2500 calories (high quality food) and bust my ass in the gym for months and see where I am after 12 weeks/6 months?

I just need some advice in terms of food and weight gain/loss. How should I be going about it? I know the main point is to eat high quality food, eat it consistently, but at the same time you want to eat the amount of calories that will minimize the fat accumulation. At least this is how I’ve understood it.

I want to hit my goals of strength while being as light as possible.

I’m not a diet guru, but this is how I eat: The Simple Diet

Got laid off last week from my job, so last few days been rough. Because of all the time I’ve been devoting to finding a new gig and getting my finances figured out gym time has been short.

I’ve been doing back squats (5x5), dips (50+), pull ups (50+) and core work. That way within 30-45 min I’m in and out of the gym. Back squats have been getting stronger though. I’m up to doing 185 5x5 now.

Sorry you lost your job man. I have always used the gym as my way of coping wth life and building myself up during hard times.

Thanks man appreciate that! Yup brotha that’s what I’ve been doing! Just trying to stay consistent and let out some frustration in a controlled manner!

Sunday 10/16/16

Jerk from rack
135x2
155x2
155x2
155x2
155x2
155x2
155x2

Front squat (PR!)
165x5
165x5
165x5

Front squat rack hold
225x 30 seconds
225x 30 seconds
225x 30 seconds

Clean Pull
225x3
225x3
225x3

Back Extension
1x20

Good clean workout. I hurt my right wrist a bit on Friday so today it was still a bit sore. Still got through it. Didn’t eat anything today so the fact I felt powerful was weird. I know I haven’t been sticking 100% to the plan, but I’m still getting in and getting work done and not missing days. Auto regulating feels good.

Do you ever use wrist wraps? I have found them to be extremely beneficial for anything overhead. I use them for pretty much all overhead pressing. I have a very stiff cast like pair for very heavy lifts, and a lighter pair that I can keep on through my whole workout for lighter/general lifting.