Just Another Log

Thanks man! Yes I am. We keep it to 6 exercises max. It’s worked well, even though he always add another set of 45’s or 2 on top of my weight lol.

Like today for example he did push press and I did jerks from the rack. Or when I did DB incline press, he did DB shoulder press. It’s been working well and this week my intensity has gone up.

My weekly split looks like full body, upper, lower, upper, lower. I think this is perfect. It’s basically like using the 531 Triumvirate but adding an extra full body day to put in extra work on the squat, press, pull exercise you want. I told him if I start feeling a bit more beat up than usual, I’ll do just 3-4 lifts a day and keep putting the work on the main lifts.

But after going through it for a week, I know what I do/don’t like about my setup. I’m going to make one small tweak next week and see how it goes.

Ayy getting them sexy press PRs. Also nice food, I think I’d become a 105 if I lived in nepals with that food. lol

1 Like

POWER CLEAN
135x3
155x3
185x3
185x3
185x3
185x3
185x3

BACK SQUAT
135x8
225x6
275x4
315x5
335x5
345x1
355x1
275x10

RDL
225x10
225x10
225x10
225x10
225x10

4 Likes

When you do power cleans, how far are you dipping? Quarter squat?
Have you out on any weight during your latest progress? Just curious. Keep up the awesome progress. Great to observe.

1 Like

Power cleans I’m more along the lines of the half squat. I do this because when I do full cleans I catch the bar all the way down. Keeps me from not changing the movement and timing too much. A quarter squat power clean is much different mechanics after the 3rd pull.

I actually haven’t gained any weight (Still hovering at 175) but my body composition is much much different.

Do you just do them as cleans that you catch at a higher position/change directions quicker?

Because as far as I am aware, a power clean is literally just a clean you use (within reason, since you don’t want to do a clean grip snatch) as strong as possible extension as you can, and you do the normal third pull, but instead of riding it to the bottom like you would in a clean you catch high, you try to stop the weight the moment it contacts your shoulders.

Whenever I do power clean (I rarely do them, sometimes as change of pace) this is how I catch it.

Capture

I’m a big believer in only sticking to the classical lifts or from the hang.

I don’t the typical power cleans you see because I already “clean” when OH pressing and I find power cleans mess with the timing of actual cleans. The mechanics, timing, how aggressive your pull is they are completely different.

But catching them at this height allows the timing to be pretty similar to a full clean.

2 Likes

Seems good, and I totally agree 100%. You have to learn how to clean before you start power cleaning.

1 Like

I learned how to power clean before the full clean and it definitely screwed with the timing. I decided I was going to learn the full lifts earlier this year and sprained my knee pretty bad trying to catch a full clean and haven’t done them since, scared lol. In all reality the power versions of the lifts would probably serve my purposes just fine but I would like to learn them someday.

2 Likes

Yeah man power cleans teach you how to “pull” instead of “get under” lol.

Just have to start really light man. I mean only reason I snatch, c&j and all that is because I want to compete in oly lifting. If you are not, then unless you enjoy them, no need do them. The power clean will work just fine.

4 Likes

“Getting under” has eluded me from setting a power clean PR many times, right you are lol!

No intentions to compete but I do enjoy the lifts. Chances are I’ll dabble with the full versions are very light weights again but for actual training purposes the power versions are my shtick.

1 Like

Arms loose during the whole lift, and during the third pull then elbows up and out, bar to shoulders. Those are really good cues on getting under. That, and feeling connected with the bar during the whole lift.

You want to think about getting the bar to your shoulders instead of you under the bar so that the weight doesn’t crash on your shoulders and you lose the lift/have the most horrifying, painful recovery imaginable.

1 Like

This is what my college program had us doing, I’d guess the power clean develops more “brute force” strength than technical strength?

1 Like

That I am not 100% sure about that. You can move a ton more weight in the traditional clean vs a power clean granted that technique is good.

But the power clean will develop power and it’s much much less technical.

Yeah man the clean for sure develop more “brute” strength. Snatches are much more finesse. I think I’m going to move over from cleans, jerks, and snatches to power clean/snatch and push press in the next 2-3 years. My priorities are changing as each month passes.

1 Like

CT mentioned in his sub-forum a couple times that the strong C&J lifters he coaches are the brutes while the strong snatchers are the athletes.

1 Like

I find this to be so true. I was able to snatch 185 when my back squat was like 245 lol. Always been more “athletic” than strong.

1 Like

Likewise. I did a lot of power cleans in HS and college. I actually think if I tried to learn a full clean now, I would have a harder time doing it than someone that’s never performed the power version. Some of the habits of a power clean are just so ingrained.

1 Like

Need to take 3 steps backward before taking a step forward.

BACK SQUAT / AB WHEEL
315x8 / x10
315x6 / x10
315x4 / x10
315x3 / x10
315x3 / x10

OH PRESS / PULL-UPS
135x5 / x10
135x5 / x10
135x5 / x10
135x5 / x10
135x5 / x10

SNATCH / MOBILITY WORK
185x3
185x3
185x3
185x3
185x3

4 Likes

Literally what the fuck. Your snatch progress is insane, I was going to no hook 185x2 tonight, but after seeing this I have to do 205x2.

2 Likes