Trans Pacific Partnership

So there’s no thread on the TPP and I thought I would make one. Politico has obtained an older draft which shows a huge windfall likely for pharmaceutical companies at least.

I’ll tell you one thing, from “the most transparent administration in history” I really despi the extensive secrecy surrounding this thing.

http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2015/06/tpp-deal-leaked-pharma-000126

Very briefly, I am firmly in the camp that this is a bag idea. The process by which it is being formed is atrocious. On substance, I think a number of left-leaning voices raise great points - how is this thing a good deal, overall, for the American people?

If you believe in the unassailable magic of the theory of free trade, you won’t have a facial issue with it. But in the details, there is a Devil.

Some argue that this agreement will help form a bulwark against a looming and menacing China - I don’t necessarily agree with that, but I have a more troubling question: why are we worried about China? Wasn’t our robust free trade experiment with China supposed to turn that country into an ally with interdependent economic interests and would transform China into a liberal state we could count on? Now you’re telling me that China is a worrisome potential belligerent?

So, let me get this right - we opened our markets, let China get vastly richer as a result, and now we don’t simply face an aggressive totalitarian state, but an aggressive totalitarian state that is vastly better armed as a result of our policy?

Perhaps we need to be wary of this whole concept.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Some argue that this agreement will help form a bulwark against a looming and menacing China - I don’t necessarily agree with that, but I have a more troubling question: why are we worried about China? Wasn’t our robust free trade experiment with China supposed to turn that country into an ally with interdependent economic interests and would transform China into a liberal state we could count on? Now you’re telling me that China is a worrisome potential belligerent?

So, let me get this right - we opened our markets, let China get vastly richer as a result, and now we don’t simply face an aggressive totalitarian state, but an aggressive totalitarian state that is vastly better armed as a result of our policy?

Perhaps we need to be wary of this whole concept. [/quote]

Well said…

I wonder if they would distract us with something of no real consequence while passing the TPP… Say a social issue which will have no impact on 95% of public …

You mean…like this?

http://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CEUQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.politico.com%2Fmagazine%2Fstory%2F2015%2F04%2Ftrans-pacific-partnership-state-laws-117127.html&ei=YTOWVYGhHYrx-QHm1K74Dw&usg=AFQjCNF26n1iQcvB9qcZw_ivyKtllI0e1Q&bvm=bv.96952980,d.cWw&cad=rja

This is the scariest aspect of the deal. Its an attack on your democracy.

Is there anything that isn’t done for the benefit of large corporations? And to believe that some are saying the public will benefit. What garbage!

I personally think if Obama aligns with the Republicans , it has to be a deal from Hell

Nice ass Zep:)

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:

Perhaps we need to be wary of this whole concept. [/quote]

Well said…
[/quote]

x2[/quote]

x3

It’s amazing how these deals are done in complety in the dark. No media is shining the light on the roaches gathering in the night. But hey, someone said something bad about illegal immigrants!

Priorities.