Trans Fat?

[quote]chubs108 wrote:

An internet forum professor tells me time and time again that it’s not about what someone eats that makes them fat, but how many calories they consumed. Being an obivous proponent of ‘calories in calories out’ at another training forum I frequent, we butt heads just about all the time. Another fun, possible general claim to his “fame” is that protein might be good for protein synthesis, but it doesn’t matter if you don’t have the calories to fuel protein synthesis. His excellent advice streamlined his expertise that consuming any protein and any carbohydrate immediately after a workout will take advantage of the only 45 minute window for maximizing protein synthesis. Oh damn, I gots carried away. lol.

Why is America so fat and sick? Lots of calories and not by poor food choices, as stated by the ‘Mad Professor’ who is supported by some abstracts he found on Pubmed. [/quote]

Trans fat might not directly make you more fat than another type of fat (same number of calories), but it’ll kill you faster. Healthy fats actually prolong your life, speed up your recovery and help your body detox. Trans fat is basically toxic, and how can that keep your body functioning well?

Also, the whole ‘calories in/calories out’ issue is so oversimplified. Yes, in the end, to maintain weight, you cannot be consuming more calories than you burn. BUT certain foods and eating techniques actually help boost metabolism. Junk food, which is filled with trans fat, does the opposite. Healthy foods also keep you strong and healthy, so you can stay more active and get better workouts.

[quote]Phill wrote:
No not all trans fat but yes its all fat that has been through processes to make it solid and Yes does produce Trans fats Let look here.

Crisco per 2 Tsp
Fat…8.0 grams
polyunsaturates…1.9 grams
monounsaturates…2.5 grams
saturates…2.2 grams
cholesteral…0 mg

OK so we have 8 total grams per serving.

Now Of Course they wont list the Trans fat. Well unless they do likesome companies and lower they serving size enough so it under.5 per serving so they can claim “0 Trans fats” even though what used to be 1 sevring of say Chips is now 5. LOL Anyway tahts a whole nother peice of meat to chew back to the crisco.

OK Now take the PUFA’s, MUFA’s and Sats (All real and GOOD fats) add them up. In this case it ='s 6.6g

So we have 6.6g of fats we Know about and 8 total. Only thing left is Trans fats those MAN made Transformed from the processed the at one time GOOD fats were subjected to.

SO 8g-6.6g = 1.4g of Trans fats per serving

Hope that helps,
Phill[/quote]

just a quick note - polyunsaturates are not always good at all. the kind used in Crisco and other convenience foods cause inflammation, and they’re much worse when you heat them (which they do when they make Crisco, or bake that convenience crap some people call food). The way to get your polyunsaturates is raw, and with an eye on balancing omega-3 (anti-inflammatory) and omega-6 (inflammatory). Most people don’t get enough omega-3 (found in fish oil, walnuts, flax) and get way too much omega-6 (too much corn oil, sunflower oil, peanut oil etc). A lot of people also make the mistake of cooking with polyunsaturated oils. Best to stick with non-hydrogenated coconut oil, extra-virgin cold-pressed olive oil, or butter.

[quote]migman40 wrote:
Interesting that Crisco is ‘pure’ trans fat.I have a box in my cupboard (I don’t know why because I don’t bake) but it oddly enough will stay good for years at room temperature. It doesn’t list ‘Trans Fat’ on the info…
Crisco per 2 Tsp
Fat…8.0 grams
polyunsaturates…1.9 grams
monounsaturates…2.5 grams
saturates…2.2 grams
cholesteral…0 mg
Ingredients…partially hydrogenated soybean and palm oils, hydrogenated modified palm oil, mono and diglycerides…
yea, basically pure fat…
I think I’ll toss it.

keep in mind that the ‘listing’ on the tub is based on the fats they used before the hydrogenation process. the process of hydrogenation turns normal fat into trans fat (which they don’t need to list on the label by law). Partially hydrogenated oil is the worst for trans fat, and it’s the first ingredient listed. You can bet there’s more than a gram and a half of trans fat per serving. Labelling laws let companies get away with a lot.

[quote]Paulos wrote:
chillain wrote: yes. because vegetable oils are unsaturated, they are liquid at room temp. because of this, they get rancid (spoil) much faster than saturated lipids which are solid at room temp.

chemists realized they could “change” these cheaper liquid oils into saturated solids which last longer. hence the term “trans”. soon enough, everyone got on board. (manufacturers, fast food chains, etc)

many years later, we find that this particular chemical achievement poses a distinct health hazard. but hey, you can’t win em all.

I am sorry but I just have to pull you up on your chemistry here. Trans fats are so called because of the arrangement of hydrogen atoms around the carbon-carbon double bond, not because the fats have been “transformed”.
Trans fats suck anyway.
Nuff said [/quote]

thanks for the headsup. (looks like i didnt retain much of my ochem plus lab)

the way i see it, being wrong is just another learning opportunity.

Hey guys,do you hear the calling of fastfood? Trans fat nations here I come!!Lmao.

[quote]Jinx Me wrote:

Actually, trans fat occurs in nature in miniscule amounts, but it is extremely unhealthy to eat.
[/quote]

miniscule, not exactly. it depends on a few things. Fish etc have relatively low levels of trans, but have some. Something like a ruminant, a cow for example, will produce a reasonable amount of trans fats, usually trans vaccenic acid, but a whole mixutre of trans fats from eladic thru to conjugated linoleic acid.

Dairy can contain around 5% of its fatty acids as trans fats.

Including butter that people are being told to consume to avoid trans fats in margerines… and most good margerines contain <0.5% of their fatty acids as trans fats.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Well unless they do likesome companies and lower they serving size enough so it under.5 per serving so they can claim “0 Trans fats” even though what used to be 1 sevring of say Chips is now 5. LOL Anyway tahts a whole nother peice of meat to chew back to the crisco.
[/quote]

if they follow the labelling laws set forth by the FDA they cannot lower their serving sizes

[quote]Jinx Me wrote:
Trans fat might not directly make you more fat than another type of fat (same number of calories), but it’ll kill you faster.
[/quote]

a bit of fun and games from research

Effects of diets enriched in saturated (palmitic), monounsaturated (oleic), or trans (elaidic) fatty acids on insulin sensitivity and substrate oxidation in healthy adults.

Lovejoy JC, Smith SR, Champagne CM, Most MM, Lefevre M, DeLany JP, Denkins YM, Rood JC, Veldhuis J, Bray GA.

Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70808, USA.

OBJECTIVE: Diets high in total and saturated fat are associated with insulin resistance. This study examined the effects of feeding monounsaturated, saturated, and trans fatty acids on insulin action in healthy adults.

RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: A randomized, double-blind, crossover study was conducted comparing three controlled 4-week diets (57% carbohydrate, 28% fat, and 15% protein) enriched with different fatty acids in 25 healthy men and women. The monounsaturated fat diet (M) had 9% of energy as C18:1cis (oleic acid). The saturated fat diet (S) had 9% of energy as palmitic acid, and the trans fatty acid diet (T) had 9% as C18:1trans. Body weight was kept constant throughout the study.

After each diet period, insulin pulsatile secretion, insulin sensitivity index (S(I)) by the minimal model method, serum lipids, and fat oxidation by indirect calorimetry were measured.

RESULTS: Mean S(I) for the M, S, and T diets was 3.44 +/- 0.26, 3.20 +/- 0.26, and 3.40 +/- 0.26 x 10(-4) min(-1). microU(-1). ml(-1), respectively (NS). S(I) decreased by 24% on the S versus M diet in overweight subjects but was unchanged in lean subjects (NS). Insulin secretion was unaffected by diet, whereas total and HDL cholesterol increased significantly on the S diet. Subjects oxidized the least fat on the M diet (26.0 +/- 1.5 g/day) and the most fat on the T diet (31.4 +/- 1.5 g/day) (P = 0.02).

CONCLUSIONS: Dietary fatty acid composition significantly influenced fat oxidation but did not impact insulin sensitivity or secretion in lean individuals. Overweight individuals were more susceptible to developing insulin resistance on high-saturated fat diets.