Trans Fat?

What’s the deal with it? Why is it bad for you? What foods contain it?

[quote]Brendan B wrote:
What’s the deal with it? Why is it bad for you? What foods contain it? [/quote]

Google.

I do beleive these touch on it. You can aldo do a search as well as above google will turn up more then you need.

Fat Roundtable I&II
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461947
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461093

Hope that helps,
Phill

Stay away from it.Period.You don’t even need one gram a day.Trans Fat is very bad for you.It’s just one of many things the food companies put into their products.Uh,can anyone tell me why America is so fat and sick again?Lmao.

If I’m not mistaken (Info taken from my nutrition class) trans fat does not usually occur in nature. It is a manufactured fat purely for taste and texture which is similar to mono-unsaturated fat, or was thought to be simmilar.

However, your body recognises it as saturated fat, so there is really no point for this fat, other than taste and texture.

I could be wrong.

[quote]Nomancer wrote:
If I’m not mistaken (Info taken from my nutrition class) trans fat does not usually occur in nature. It is a manufactured fat purely for taste and texture which is similar to mono-unsaturated fat, or was thought to be simmilar.

However, your body recognises it as saturated fat, so there is really no point for this fat, other than taste and texture.

I could be wrong.[/quote]

Actually, trans fat occurs in nature in miniscule amounts, but it is extremely unhealthy to eat. It’s the result of hydrogenating liquid vegetable oil to make it a solid, which makes the food more stable (for example, when being shipped in hot trucks, left on shelves for months on end, etc.). It basically replaces lard - but it’s cheaper and has a superlong shelf-life, which is why food manufacturers use it. It was marketed as healthy in the '80s and '90s because it was vegetable based, but that was before we knew how dangerous it is.

It is far, far worse for you that saturated fat, which is actually healthy in moderation. Avoid it at all costs. Read labels, and stay away from processed food in general - especially if it lists hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil, margerine or shortening in the ingredients. Crisco is pure trans fat - use coconut oil (the best saturated fat), butter or lard instead, if you must use a solid fat.

Why does that make it bad for you? I heard dough containing products contain this like pizza and cookies.

[quote]Jinx Me wrote:
Nomancer wrote:
It is a manufactured fat purely for taste and texture.

Actually…It’s the result of hydrogenating liquid vegetable oil to make it a solid, which makes the food more stable (for example, when being shipped in hot trucks, left on shelves for months on end, etc.). It basically replaces lard - but it’s cheaper and has a superlong shelf-life, which is why food manufacturers use it. [/quote]

yes. because vegetable oils are unsaturated, they are liquid at room temp. because of this, they get rancid (spoil) much faster than saturated lipids which are solid at room temp.

chemists realized they could “change” these cheaper liquid oils into saturated solids which last longer. hence the term “trans”. soon enough, everyone got on board. (manufacturers, fast food chains, etc)

many years later, we find that this particular chemical achievement poses a distinct health hazard. but hey, you can’t win em all.

1. They ELEVATE LDL (“Bad” Cholesterol)

2. DECREASE HDL ("Good Cholesterol)

3. Due to their artificial nature (man-induced hydrogenation of vegetables oils, which is why they are sometimes called “plastic” fats) we have not evolved the enzymatic systems to effeciently break them down, leading to a “slugging effect” along artery walls (sort of like putting grease down a sink, as a rough analogy).

This all is a BIT more complex, but it illustrates why these fats are so bad to ingest over the course of a Lifetime.

Mufasa

[quote]The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
Stay away from it.Period.You don’t even need one gram a day.Trans Fat is very bad for you.It’s just one of many things the food companies put into their products.Uh,can anyone tell me why America is so fat and sick again?Lmao.[/quote]

True for MOST trans fats. Not to single 'Reaper out, but as always there’s the exception that proves the rule:
CLA is a trans fat.

CLA is a trans fat.[/quote]

No shit? huh, I never would have thought. Thanks.

Lol,if you cook it than that counts.If you don’t cook it then doesnt.

What about French fries?

It depends on how the “Fries” are cooked, Brendan. If you “bake” the “fries” (spinkled with a little oregano and olive oil)…no problem…

Deep fry them in “Crisco”?

BIG problem…

Mufasa

[quote]chillain wrote:
yes. because vegetable oils are unsaturated, they are liquid at room temp. because of this, they get rancid (spoil) much faster than saturated lipids which are solid at room temp.

chemists realized they could “change” these cheaper liquid oils into saturated solids which last longer. hence the term “trans”. soon enough, everyone got on board. (manufacturers, fast food chains, etc)

many years later, we find that this particular chemical achievement poses a distinct health hazard. but hey, you can’t win em all.

[/quote]

I am sorry but I just have to pull you up on your chemistry here. Trans fats are so called because of the arrangement of hydrogen atoms around the carbon-carbon double bond, not because the fats have been “transformed”.
Trans fats suck anyway.
Nuff said

[quote]The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
Stay away from it.Period.You don’t even need one gram a day.Trans Fat is very bad for you.It’s just one of many things the food companies put into their products.Uh,can anyone tell me why America is so fat and sick again?Lmao.[/quote]

An internet forum professor tells me time and time again that it’s not about what someone eats that makes them fat, but how many calories they consumed. Being an obivous proponent of ‘calories in calories out’ at another training forum I frequent, we butt heads just about all the time. Another fun, possible general claim to his “fame” is that protein might be good for protein synthesis, but it doesn’t matter if you don’t have the calories to fuel protein synthesis. His excellent advice streamlined his expertise that consuming any protein and any carbohydrate immediately after a workout will take advantage of the only 45 minute window for maximizing protein synthesis. Oh damn, I gots carried away. lol.

Why is America so fat and sick? Lots of calories and not by poor food choices, as stated by the ‘Mad Professor’ who is supported by some abstracts he found on Pubmed.

One way to know who cares what they eat- If you ever been by a restaurant (fast food or whatever) and the “honey wagon” is pumping the restaurant. Take a wiff a mere 100ft away. That is what the average american eats and finds delicious. That same smell is what ‘slimfast’ smells like when there’s an unattended 1 hour spill. Why?

Fats have long carbon tails, with a large amount of hydrogens bonded to the carbons. Carbon is tetravalent, meaning it has 4 open valence electron slots. When bonding with hydrogens, this gives each carbon potential to bond to 2-3 hydrogens (a single bond to a carbon on each side, and the two remaining slots go to hydrogen.) Carbon can also form double or even triple bonds, however, with another carbon, thus depriving itself of potential room for hydrogens.

When a fat has no carbon double or triple bonds, it has all of the hydrogens it can carry. It is thus “saturated” with hydrogen, hence the name. If I’m not mistaken, a hydrogenated fat is where a non-saturated fat is bombarded with hydrogen ions, such that eventually the structure changes slightly and more hydrogens “stick”.

Interesting that Crisco is ‘pure’ trans fat.I have a box in my cupboard (I don’t know why because I don’t bake) but it oddly enough will stay good for years at room temperature. It doesn’t list ‘Trans Fat’ on the info…
Crisco per 2 Tsp
Fat…8.0 grams
polyunsaturates…1.9 grams
monounsaturates…2.5 grams
saturates…2.2 grams
cholesteral…0 mg
Ingredients…partially hydrogenated soybean and palm oils, hydrogenated modified palm oil, mono and diglycerides…
yea, basically pure fat…
I think I’ll toss it.

What about fries cooked in sunflour oil? Some fast food chains around here are switching to this claiming its healthier. They do taste better but i mostly try to avoid them…

mig

No not all trans fat but yes its all fat that has been through processes to make it solid and Yes does produce Trans fats Let look here.

[quote]
Crisco per 2 Tsp
Fat…8.0 grams
polyunsaturates…1.9 grams
monounsaturates…2.5 grams
saturates…2.2 grams
cholesteral…0 mg [/quote]

OK so we have 8 total grams per serving.

Now Of Course they wont list the Trans fat. Well unless they do likesome companies and lower they serving size enough so it under.5 per serving so they can claim “0 Trans fats” even though what used to be 1 sevring of say Chips is now 5. LOL Anyway tahts a whole nother peice of meat to chew back to the crisco.

OK Now take the PUFA’s, MUFA’s and Sats (All real and GOOD fats) add them up. In this case it ='s 6.6g

So we have 6.6g of fats we Know about and 8 total. Only thing left is Trans fats those MAN made Transformed from the processed the at one time GOOD fats were subjected to.

SO 8g-6.6g = 1.4g of Trans fats per serving

Hope that helps,
Phill