T Nation

Trans Fat In Grass Fed Beef?

I was just noticing today that my grass fed beef from Trader Joe’s has some trans fat in it (1.5 per serving). The site had this to say:

“Trans fat is a specific kind of fat that is formed when oil manufacturers change a liquid oil into a solid or semi solid fat, such as shortening or margarine. Hydrogen is added to liquid vegetable oil to solidify it. This process is called hydrogenation, and it creates trans fats. Trans fats are also found in nature, but in very small amounts in some animal based foods.”

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I guess I don’t get how something so natural could have something so bad in it. Does anyone know if ALL grass fed beef products contain some trans fat, or is it just the brand I’m getting?

the trans fat in ruminant animal products is CLA. many people pay good money to purchase this on the side as a supp.

Yep, naturally occurring trans fats are good for you. Plus they have antibacterial properties, if that matters for anything.

Mike Roussell wrote about it in this Q and A article:

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info guys. I didn’t even know trans fats could occur naturally and be healthy. Good to know.

[quote]Whey Man wrote:
I guess I don’t get how something so natural could have something so bad in it. [/quote]

There are plenty of natural substances that are harmful.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Whey Man wrote:
I guess I don’t get how something so natural could have something so bad in it.

There are plenty of natural substances that are harmful.[/quote]

Hmm…really? You don’t say. ;p

My point was I didn’t get how a pure natural source could have something that’s usually only produced by man in it…in this case trans fat. It’s like a soda company claiming their soda is all natural, but reading high fructose corn syrup as the first ingredient. That’s the kind of reaction I had to this at first.

it is good to be a skeptical customer. even more so when you seek to make yourself well informed.

if you look through the SR20 nutrition database, you will find that some dairy and meat products will have a trans fat value. these are obviously the naturally occuring healthy trans fat as opposed to the ones that result from hydrogenating vegetable oil shy of the last double bond - partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.

here is the USDA page with the nutrition software:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_main.htm?modecode=12354500

here are the wikipedia pages for trans fat:

vaccenic acid (natural trans fat):

and CLA: