T Nation

Traits of Successful People

just some things i noticed, feel free to add your own:

• Doing something they LOVE

• Lack or complete absense of “social life”

• Are ok with doing things they dont want to do (You don’t have to like it you just have to do it)

• Do NOT post on internet forums.

[quote]lixy wrote:

• Do NOT post on internet forums.[/quote]

Ya think?

-The will to succeed
-Failure becomes unthinkable

Xen - I’m curious as to how you are defining success, especially given bullet point #2. In my world, that would be a complete failure. I like balance.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
-Failure becomes unthinkable[/quote]

This is more a trait of the delusional/self destructive. Failure is not something to fear or pretend doesn’t exist, it is an inevitable fact of life that we must cope with when it happens. It means much more to respond to your failures positively and productively than to try and act like they will never occur. Or be stifled and confused when they do(which is the response when you have trained yourself to make it ‘unthinkable’)

I think the two most valuable traits someone can have towards being successful are tenacity/perseverance and the ability to finish a project.

Senior year of college some asshole gave my class a lecture on success. Most of it sounded like BS, but one good thing I took away from it was that successful people think in terms of results, never failure. You tried X, and Y was the result. Don’t think that you fail just because you didn’t get the result you wanted, because failure is a subjective value judgement. Negative thinking is usually a self-fulfilling prophecy. Simply taking Y for Y is objective and allows you to learn from your mistakes without the burden of negative thinking.

will power

Being Proactive…

The 7 Habits…duh…

Cocaine

1. Good time management.
  2. Focus on the most important task at hand.
  3. Clean lifestyle. Four hours of drinking beer ruins four hours of work the next day.
  4. Good money management.
  5. Do something you love.
  1. Having the Will to prepare and adapt.
  2. Doing what they want, when they want to.
  3. Having a strong social circle and life… no one gets to the top by themselves.
  4. Having a set of virtues they live by…no matter what.
  5. Being your best self.
  • Usually have the initials “T.C.”
    …I’m expecting some complimentary supplements in the mail.

I cannnot imagine a person with all these traits being anything else but a success AT LIFE.

[quote]BSchroeder wrote:
3) Clean lifestyle. Four hours of drinking beer ruins four hours of work the next day.[/quote]

So that’s why my entire working day is taken up posting on T-Nation…

[quote]zooropa1150 wrote:

1. Having the Will to prepare and adapt.
  2. Doing what they want, when they want to.
  3. Having a strong social circle and life… no one gets to the top by themselves.
  4. Having a set of virtues they live by…no matter what.
  5. Being your best self.
  • Usually have the initials “T.C.”
    …I’m expecting some complimentary supplements in the mail.

I cannnot imagine a person with all these traits being anything else but a success AT LIFE.

[/quote]

Check, check, check, check, check. So how do I get laid more?

by ‘no social life’ i mean the atypical social life. you won’t see them out all hours of the night partying, they don’t have time to “just chill”. Nor will they go out everyweekend partying.

i agree that no one can get to the top alone, and that you need balance in your life. I’m defining success as wealth/power at the moment. I understand your point though.

Like zig ziglar says “a big shot is just a little shot who kept on shooting”. There’s some quote of michael jordan’s where he says how many shot’s he’s missed and how many dunk’s he’s missed but all those got him to the one’s that he DID make.

So failure is viewed more as a stepping stone than anything else. Like “oh, well at least we know that doesn’t work”.

And you move on.

the inability to leave your failure in the past is what stops most people.

Confidence and self assurance

Surround themselves with successful people, not living or dead but in portraits and sculptures.

People view them as arrogant when it is really self confidence.

The ability to turn negativity into positive energy.

Believing in themselves is a religion.

The inability to follow and the desire to lead.

The ability to let shit go.

To get back up every time they’re knocked down.