Traits, Genetics, and Geography

[quote]Chris (NZ) wrote:
I saw a documentary on TV about this exact topic so I know everything : )

In New Zealand the Polynesian guys are destroying most of the white kids who play rugby and league and are taking most of the spots on the pro teams, so there was a local documentary on why they are bigger than European kids at the same age.

Anyway, the reason is that at in the South Pacific Islands it is really cold. Especially when you are moving from Island to Island and there is no shelter there. It rains a lot and you get really wet and then it is very cold at night. There are no large mammals to make warm clothing out of. So over a few hundred years the people who did the best were the ones that could shiver the best.

Seriously. The reason is that the more fast twitch fibers you have the longer you can survive in the cold eg shiver. The slow twitch skinny people died off, and the fast twitch people survived.

Also there is a naturally occurring anabolic steroid in Taro which is their main root crop. Again, seriously.

[/quote]

Very interesting stuff…

I remember seeing a photo of the “All Blacks” doing their Polynesian intimidation dance before a match (I think it was in ESPN the Magazine) and noticed that the majority of the players seemed of Polynesian decent.

I live in Southern California and there is a fairly large contingent of Pacific Islander/Samoans here. I haven’t seen a small adult yet. There was an article in the San Diego Tribune that spoke of how heavily that community relies on both athletics, football inparticular, and their involvement in the church to keep the young males out of trouble in their developmental years.

GAINER

Actually the japanese influence brought rice to hawaii… white man definitely brought that crap spam… Damn Haole’s…

nowadays in hawaii you’ll see many fit hawaiians and then some overly fat hawaiians… not much in between.

I agree, samoan’s have always been genetically gifted for building muscle and for their size.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Eskimo’s were not always fat. They survived on high protein, high fat diets for the longest time.

It wasn’t until the white man came along and introduced other foods that caused the obesity you now see. Then again, white man has brought this on to many other cultures as well.

Hawaiians were in better shape until taken over by Americans. Now you see Hawaiians devouring spam, rice and other white flour processed foods. Damn white man.[/quote]

[quote]DAN C wrote:
One of my nerdy Jewish friends told me that Spam sales were very high in parts of the world where cannibals can buy it. Apparently, it is the closest thing to human meat taste out there. True? False? I don`t even want to know…

[/quote]

[quote]DAN C wrote:
danreeves1973 wrote:
Hey they developed their own love for Spam. It’s one of the biggest selling foods in Hawaii, God only knows why. I’ll eat Spam if I have to. Have to as in if we’re starving, and we’ve exhausted the local supply of birds, bats, rats, and small children first.

One of my nerdy Jewish friends told me that Spam sales were very high in parts of the world where cannibals can buy it. Apparently, it is the closest thing to human meat taste out there. True? False? I don`t even want to know…

[/quote]

And what exactly does him being jewish has to do with it?

[quote]MuscleMachine17 wrote:

And what exactly does him being jewish has to do with it?[/quote]

Doubt if the comment was meant to insinuate anything about the guys religion. He probably identifies all of his friends by multiple titles, i.e. his nerdy Jewish friend, his vaguely homosexual black friend, his militant feminist hispanic female friend, and of course his transgender bobybuilding dominatrix lover.

No offense meant to any Orthodox Jews on here, but how would the Jewish friend know how it tastes? Spam is 100% pork product, non-Kosher and not to be eaten by those of the Faith.

And on the topic, most Samoans, I have read, are of one of the Christian denominations in faith.

[quote]MuscleMachine17 wrote:
DAN C wrote:
danreeves1973 wrote:
Hey they developed their own love for Spam. It’s one of the biggest selling foods in Hawaii, God only knows why. I’ll eat Spam if I have to. Have to as in if we’re starving, and we’ve exhausted the local supply of birds, bats, rats, and small children first.

And what exactly does him being jewish has to do with it?[/quote]

The few Jewish people I know are always very reliable sources of information. Had I heard that info from another person, I would have put it in the I really doubt it mental slot.

[quote]danreeves1973 wrote:
MuscleMachine17 wrote:
He probably identifies all of his friends by multiple titles, i.e. his nerdy Jewish friend, his vaguely homosexual black friend, his militant feminist hispanic female friend, and of course his transgender bobybuilding dominatrix lover.

No offense meant to any Orthodox Jews on here, but how would the Jewish friend know how it tastes? Spam is 100% pork product, non-Kosher and not to be eaten by those of the Faith.
quote]

LOL. For one to compare the taste of spam to human meat, all one needs is cannibal buddies. Like I said, I added Jew because the dude`s credible, like all the Jews I know.

Gotcha. Actually don’t know any cannibals myself, (girls who swallow don’t count I’m told), so I’ll trust you on it.

And Shalom.

Not according to the pope!

[quote]danreeves1973 wrote:
Gotcha. Actually don’t know any cannibals myself, (girls who swallow don’t count I’m told), so I’ll trust you on it.

And Shalom.[/quote]

I’ve always heard that human flesh is very similar to pork.

[quote]elevationgain wrote:
I remember seeing a photo of the “All Blacks” doing their Polynesian intimidation dance before a match (I think it was in ESPN the Magazine)…[/quote]

FYI, this is called Haka.

http://folksong.org.nz/ka_mate/

Geek boy

[quote]DAN C wrote:

The few Jewish people I know are always very reliable sources of information. Had I heard that info from another person, I would have put it in the I really doubt it mental slot.

[/quote]

Count-ing my shekels, count-ing my shekels…

As far as Samoans generally being large and strong, I am a little skeptical of the whole shivering theory. I think a greater factor in the “evolution” of the Samoans into a genetically superior(?) athlete would be that they are/were a geographically isolated culture in which war played a huge part. The strongest/best warriors survive and mate with the strongest/most attractive women. The strongest of their offspring survive and so on. Since there would not have been a large influx of other peoples into the mix, this process continues with strong begetting stronger.

Plus the Haka is a killer quad workout!

[quote]geekboy wrote:
elevationgain wrote:
I remember seeing a photo of the “All Blacks” doing their Polynesian intimidation dance before a match (I think it was in ESPN the Magazine)…

FYI, this is called Haka.

http://folksong.org.nz/ka_mate/

Geek boy[/quote]

Roger thanks dude, I mean Geek.

GAINER