Training Youth Lifters Without Overdoing It

You get bad comps man, but thats a savage disparity!

Koing

We’re starting a new program where we’ll be maxing out the snatch and clean and jerk 3 times a week instead of 2. I’ll copy it down and post it up.

[quote]krayon wrote:
We’re starting a new program where we’ll be maxing out the snatch and clean and jerk 3 times a week instead of 2. I’ll copy it down and post it up.[/quote]

Aight. Track their progress. It’ll be interesting to see what they can gain by the end of the year.

Koing

Sorry for the delay, here’s the new program. I find the program to be quite draining, but I’m slowly adapting to the increase physical and mental demands.

Monday
Max Back Squat - drop 15kg 3x3
Max Block Snatch - drop 15kg 4x3
Max Snatch Pull plus 5kg 5x3

Tuesday
Max Snatch - drop 10kg 2x2
Max Clean and Jerk - drop 10kg 2x2
Max Front Squat - drop 15kg 2x3

Wednesday
Max Back Squat - drop 20kg 3x5
Max Power Clean and Power Jerk - drop 20kg 3x3
Max Clean Pull plus 5kg 5x3

Thursday
Max Snatch - drop 15kg 2x2
Max Clean and Jerk - drop 20kg 2x2
Max Front Squat - drop 10kg 2x2

Friday
Max Back Squat - drop 10kg 2x2
Max Block Power Clean - drop 15kg 2x3
Behind the head Jerk 80% 5x2

Saturday
Max Snatch - drop 20kg 3x3
Max Front Squat - drop 20kg 3x3

[quote]krayon wrote:
Sorry for the delay, here’s the new program. I find the program to be quite draining, but I’m slowly adapting to the increase physical and mental demands.

Monday
Max Back Squat - drop 15kg 3x3
Max Block Snatch - drop 15kg 4x3
Max Snatch Pull plus 5kg 5x3

Tuesday
Max Snatch - drop 10kg 2x2
Max Clean and Jerk - drop 10kg 2x2
Max Front Squat - drop 15kg 2x3

Wednesday
Max Back Squat - drop 20kg 3x5
Max Power Clean and Power Jerk - drop 20kg 3x3
Max Clean Pull plus 5kg 5x3

Thursday
Max Snatch - drop 15kg 2x2
Max Front Squat - drop 10kg 2x2

Friday
Max Back Squat - drop 10kg 2x2
Max Block Power Clean - drop 15kg 2x3
Behind the head Jerk 80% 5x2

Saturday
Max Snatch - drop 20kg 3x3
Max Front Squat - drop 20kg 3x3 [/quote]

Seems badass!

Your training 6x a week?

How long dooes it take to get through a typical session? Just wondering.

Koing

Dealing with bullshit in life is way more draining than all the training in the world. By forcing your son to train you are in a way training his attention span, which is a very important characteristic. You also have to weigh how much he wants to do this. If this is not something he enjoys, and he’s not getting something out of it (scholarship, future monetary rewards) then no it wouldn’t be worth forcing him to stick with. However if he does enjoy it overall and is just being lazy in training then you have stay on top of him. The best advice is to do your best assessing the situation. Raising kids are never easy, and balancing love and discipline is extremely tough, but thats where Your job comes in.

In terms of the amount of physical training and work, what you listed is fine. The only other thing that might help is to make sure there’s some kind of reward somewhere for what he does. Rewards often helps with burn out, and I don’t mean an ice cream sandwhich, but a new PR or trophy something that shows he put his mind to something, pushed through the tough times and now has a sign of accomplishment.

The days we max out on the lifts, it usually takes around 2.5 hrs and the rest of the days usually take a little bit over 2hrs.

[quote]krayon wrote:
The days we max out on the lifts, it usually takes around 2.5 hrs and the rest of the days usually take a little bit over 2hrs.[/quote]

Aight!

Koing