Training with Younger Brother

At what age do you guys think you can start to squat/deadlift “heavy”? Does age make a difference? Should you stick with higher rep ranges and lower weights? My 15yo little bro is starting to train with me and I was looking for opinions as to what to do/what to avoid doing training-wise with him…

He is a 6’2 200lbs football player and to complicate things he had a torn lateral ligament in his knee this summer, now healed

Thanks!

[quote]Raging Frenchman wrote:
At what age do you guys think you can start to squat/deadlift “heavy”? Does age make a difference? Should you stick with higher rep ranges and lower weights? My 15yo little bro is starting to train with me and I was looking for opinions as to what to do/what to avoid doing training-wise with him…

He is a 6’2 200lbs football player and to complicate things he had a torn lateral ligament in his knee this summer, now healed

Thanks![/quote]

Though I’m no professional, I don’t think anyone can tell him when he’ll be ready, it’s up to what his body tells him. If he feels discomfort, he should stretch and foam roll and what not, then try it again next leg day.

I don’t think you can go truly ‘heavy’ until you’ve trained for quite a while. By heavy, I mean a weight that is truly maximal for your size. The reason is because your CNS isn’t coordinated to use max weights right when you start lifting.

Stick to low reps, but don’t do any grinders (very slow reps) or shitty form reps, should be fine. Plus, he seems like he’ll be able to handle some pounding at 6’2 200 lbs.

I started the “Bigger Stronger Faster” program when I was 14 which focuses on Squats, Bench, Clean and DL. I had no problems. I only weighed 135 at the time and was pulling 2x BW… If he is a 200 lb football player he should be fine. Just start him slow and light and run a progression such as starting strength or something like that.

Of course he should ask his doctor if his knee is stable enough to lift weights.

You need to stay far far far away from that kid until you/he finds out how well his knee has healed up. And unless your form is perfect and you know what you are doing I would not suggest training a young athlete.

I dont want to discurage but at 15 and with his size he could be a monster!!

Thats one huge kid. Im no expert but ill give you my input based on my experience. I started playing football around his age and my coach usually tried to figure what we can and cant do. We would Max out on Bench,Squats,and DL. I think you should do the same but gradually move up in weights until he says that it is enough.

From that point,maybe you can work out some kind of work out plan. Maybe layoff the Squats and go easy on the DL…Bench might be the strong focus considering his tore ligament. Again,im no expert this is just from prior experience back from HS.

BTW Tell him not to quit football or any Athletics for that matter whenever he feels discourage! I regret not playing my senior year. -sigh- Oh my God,I miss High School Athletics…

Thanks for the replies, regarding his knee he has done physio and has been cleared to play by both the doctors and the physio, but of course you want to stay on the safe side… And yes he is a huge kid for his age!

Of course you can have him work in higher weights and lower reps. It’s more of a training methodology and which yields the best results at that time rather than an age premise. I have my little brother who just turned 14, just squat 235 at 118 bw which is 2x. That’s just my anecdote of success of training heavy even with younger people.

[quote]deadman123 wrote:
Of course you can have him work in higher weights and lower reps. It’s more of a training methodology and which yields the best results at that time rather than an age premise. I have my little brother who just turned 14, just squat 235 at 118 bw which is 2x. That’s just my anecdote of success of training heavy even with younger people.[/quote]
Well training with A younger person.