T Nation

Training with Tendonitis

I finally found out the source of my pain, after my break which was pretty bad and the implementation of weight training to my arm it has developed tendonitis, do any of you know any strategies for training with this injury?

Lots of ice and ibuprofen. Avoiding direct arm work might help as well. I hear that ultrasound therapy helps a lot, but I have no experience with it.

I’m suffering bad knee and elbow tendinitis. I cannot do ANY quad work at all. But I can still train arms IF I warm up thoroughly beforehand, although I probably should avoid training arms.

I ice the areas daily, as well as foam rolling. That seems to relive the tension the muscle is putting on the tendons.

It can take months to heal, so be patient.

ugh,I have it in my shoulders.I just tried ,by trial and error,to find a regiment that avoided aggrevating it.I also use a glucosomine chondroitine supplement,and I take a few ibuprofin before I work out.Try to find some rehab exercises to help…Bruce leefan are you also a martial artist?

Thanks for the replies guys, samurai - I was considering starting wing chun, but since it has so much contact to the area of the arm that I suffer with it’s probably not a good idea.

Got tendonitis myself in both elbows, it sucks! increasing your dosage of fish oil (flameouts a good choice) may help reduce the inflammation, not sure if mega dosing ala Poliquin works but may be worth a shot

Check out therapymart.com. I bought my own home ultrasound device to treat my tricep tendonitis and it is a huge pain reliever. Its helped a lot in the healing process and im still on my way to full recovery. It helps me alot and im still looking for other tips on my rehab. any ideas about foam rolling or how itd help my tricep?

fish oil, aleve, ice, and neoprene sleeves…also try to isolate if its a certain exercise which aggravates it…i had some bad tendonitis from heavy deadlifts, then it was aggravated by squat and bench…because of leaa torque on the arm and pressure from a slightly restricted movement, i swithced to all dumbbell upper body movements and a slighlty wider grip on squats

I’ve had it in both elbows. The only thing that helped was not training until the acute pain went away. Then not training movements that caused acute pain

[quote]LSUPOWERDC wrote:
fish oil, aleve, ice, and neoprene sleeves…also try to isolate if its a certain exercise which aggravates it…i had some bad tendonitis from heavy deadlifts, then it was aggravated by squat and bench…because of leaa torque on the arm and pressure from a slightly restricted movement, i swithced to all dumbbell upper body movements and a slighlty wider grip on squats[/quote]

How effective would you judge the sleeves? I’m doing all of the above except that (and have some prescription NSAIDs), but accidentally flared up my tendonitis again yesterday

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
I finally found out the source of my pain, after my break which was pretty bad and the implementation of weight training to my arm it has developed tendonitis, do any of you know any strategies for training with this injury?
[/quote]

Looks like this thread was just brought back to life, but if you’re reading this (or if anyone else has problems with tendinitis) give someone who specializes in Active Release Techniques a try: http://www.activerelease.com/providersearch.asp

I had issues with my right forearm, went to see an ART practitioner and it was fixed within 3 sessions with a noticeable improvement after the first session.

Just to warn you, it can be a very painful experience. But the quick results are well worth it.

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, samurai - I was considering starting wing chun, but since it has so much contact to the area of the arm that I suffer with it’s probably not a good idea.[/quote]

I took wing tsun for 4-5 years depending on the flavor of of the instructor it shouldn’t cause you any issues. What part of the arm did you hurt?

Eccentric Exercise
A Solution to Tendonitis?
by Peter Blanchonette

And on this very site no less. Know your classics boys.

I had a servere case of Medial Epicondylitis , it became so chronic it stopped me benching.

Ive found super high doses of fish oils can help aleiviate the problem. 10grams + a day.

Foam rolling/tennis ball rolling and Art therapy also helped me with it.