T Nation

Training With Just a Barbell...

All I have to train with is a barbell, a decent amount of weight (enough that it isn't an issue), and a chin-up bar.  I've been doing mostly olympic lifts, shrugs, deads, and modified zercher squats--as well as chin-ups, of course. 

what else can i do for overall development, and triceps and chest in particular? my goals are mostly performance-oriented, by the way. Thanks.

Skull crushers and floor presses will hit your triceps, but may need a creativity to set up. You could also use just about anything to support yourself for dips.

For chest you’re a little more limited. Floor presses will work to a point, but your best bet is probably various types pushups.

[quote]squishydiplomat wrote:
All I have to train with is a barbell, a decent amount of weight (enough that it isn’t an issue), and a chin-up bar. I’ve been doing mostly olympic lifts, shrugs, deads, and modified zercher squats–as well as chin-ups, of course.

what else can i do for overall development, and triceps and chest in particular? my goals are mostly performance-oriented, by the way. Thanks. [/quote]

How about floor and military presses?

What you’ve got hardware-wise is enough to build an impresive body if you put your mind to it. All you need is food, consistency and determination.

(love your username, by the way)

Not sure what your situation is, but if you could get a hold of a pair of dumbell bars, you would expand your possibilities exponentially.

I hope I’m not breaking any rules, but I’ve found this site to be helpful in seeing how exercises are performed, and give some ideas for exercises:

I can’t vouch for any of the articles or advice, but the exercise descriptions are good.

You say you want to work on chest and tri’s, and that your goals are “performance oriented”. Can you be more specific - what kind of performance (sport, activity?) are you working on with chest and tri work?

I play tennis, for which triceps are very important. Chest is a little less so, but I’m just looking to avoid imbalances. I also play soccer, so if anyone knows anything I can do that’s particularly helpful for those sports, let me know. Thanks for all the help so far.

I’m in pretty much the same situation, just add some dumbbell handles.

I find floor presses are great for triceps. You can set the weight up on blocks, do a pullover to get it into position, or just do one arm at a time (yeah, that’s fun with a barbell).

You can also try hack squats and probably go much heavier than with Zercher squats.

Tri’s and Chest No Bench? Single hand corner press will work well you can do it at different heights to simulate incline or decline.
To activate the chest even more I make both clockwise and counterclockwise circles.

also underhand grip front raises, will bring in alot more chest. Then a regular front raise.

For triceps if your already doing military and floor press you should be hitting them fine. But to add you can do standing overhead tricep extentions, as well as laying down.